Neurotic Kavik.....back to basics.

Old June 1st 05, 01:55 AM
Child

Default Neurotic Kavik.....back to basics.

Some of you may remember a particularly neurotic period in Kavik's life
where he refused to eat if his father poured the kibble in the bowl, and I
wasn't present. We were able to get over this by my simply not feeding him
at all but being in the room when his dad fed him. After a couple of days he
would eat for his dad for dinner, and a couple of weeks later he ate
breakfast for his dad without me there. We were unable to determine a cause
for the weirdness but its been resolved a couple of years now.

Suddenly, the dog's gone neurotic again. I could see something was funny
over the weekend - he was very needy, having to lie on top of his dad in bed
every time we were in bed all weekend (frequent at 38w pregnant). He then
spent the entire night snuggled up to me in bed, which is entirely unheard
of (he is a daddy's boy). He seems worried - he wants reassurance. Lots
of it. This morning his dad took him downstairs for breakfast while I got
dressed, and you guessed it, he wouldn't eat for him and instead ran
upstairs to get me (what he used to do previously). I put the bowl on the
floor, told him everything was fine and he ate. I won't be doing that
again - obviously dont' need to make it any worse.

I was thinking that his weirdness might be caused by the changes in the
house - i have no idea what a dog makes of cribs and baby swings, but there
is alot of new stuff around the house. maybe its making him nervous? Or
else potentially, I just smell plain weird with all the pregnancy hormones?

I hope the behavior resolves soon. He doesn't appear to be ill or in pain
and his vision was recently checked by an opthamologist. He wrestles happily
with his brother in the backyard. He plays fetch for a half an hour (a
miracle for a samoyed, but typical for him) without any sign of discomfort.
I will take him to the vet should the behavior not resolve.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Old June 1st 05, 02:05 AM
Janet B

On Tue, 31 May 2005 16:55:38 -0800, "Child"
wrote:

Ideas? Suggestions?

I'd let him skip some meals and learn to eat when it's presented.
Yes, your hormones are a huge factor, but the facts are also that you
aren't going to be available or feeling like doing the feedings, and
he has to learn to deal with that.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old June 1st 05, 03:22 AM

Child wrote:
Ideas? Suggestions?

Karen Ramstead says that when a dog misses the first meal
it's his idea and when he misses his second it's hers, and
that as a result she doesn't have any fussy eaters.

43% of all private-sector jobs created in the US
from 2001 to April 2005 are housing-related
Old June 1st 05, 06:16 AM
Child

wrote:

Ideas? Suggestions?

I'd let him skip some meals and learn to eat when it's presented.
Yes, your hormones are a huge factor, but the facts are also that you
aren't going to be available or feeling like doing the feedings, and
he has to learn to deal with that.

yea, i won't be encouraging the weirdness again. He'll eat if he is hungry.

Old June 1st 05, 06:28 AM
Child

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
Child wrote:
Ideas? Suggestions?

Karen Ramstead says that when a dog misses the first meal
it's his idea and when he misses his second it's hers, and
that as a result she doesn't have any fussy eaters.

yup. it took us awhile to break this habit last time, but we did break it
by basically letting him skip meals.

Potty Training Shichon gats Dog behavior 30 February 3rd 05 10:03 PM
Maltese Back Problems abc Dog health 8 November 18th 03 11:18 PM
Idiots from waaaay back Michelle, LVT Dog health 0 November 12th 03 11:47 PM
Dachshund back problems AlabamaCharles Dog health 4 August 16th 03 08:55 AM
Dachshund back problems AlabamaCharles Dog health 0 August 12th 03 10:49 PM