itchy skin

Old June 2nd 05, 01:05 AM
Jen Lawson

Default itchy skin

My 8 month old lab is having trouble with itchy skin. But I use regular
flea control, and can see no sign of fleas, flea dirt, redness, lumps or
bumps or anything like that. BUT I DO SEE DANDRUFF. Does anyone know if
this is a common complaint and what can I do about it.

Old June 2nd 05, 03:30 AM
Furry

Seems itchy skin is a common complaint this time of year...most likely a
seasonal allergy. Plants are budding and spreading their pollens.
Perhaps a bath in oatmeal type shampoos might help to relieve the
itching. Just a guess on my part - hopefully, others will have more to
offer.

Furry

Old June 5th 05, 03:01 AM
Debbie

My GSD was MISERABLE and scratching all of the time. She was taken to
the vet twice, no fleas both times, but must have had some sort of
allergy to some sort of bite and it just kept getting worse. Finally
after a couple of different treatments, she ended up on Predisone. She
is MUCH better now thank goodness because the shedding got so bad for a
while there. Debbie

Old June 5th 05, 05:15 PM
ZPL

In addition to the other suggestions - you can also try adding Omega Fatty
Acids (WHOLE fish oil or flax oil) along with some biotin. An easier
addition is Linatone or other coat supplement.

Old June 6th 05, 05:36 AM
Cocker Spaniel Rescue of BC

This just may be simple dry skin...or a condition called "walking dandruff".
If you haven't had the dog to a vet, you might want to get him checked out.

Walking Dandruff: this is a small mite that appears to look like dandruff on
first examination of skin and coat. In fact if you take the dandruff off of
the coat by shaking the hair or combing and put it on a dark surface you
will see the dandruff "move".....

Treatment: Bathe dog in flea shampoo once a week for three weeks. Spray
bedding area with a good mite spray or flea and tick spray.

--
Carol J
Cocker Spaniel Rescue of BC