Doggy Quest Begins

Old June 4th 05, 01:48 AM

Default Doggy Quest Begins

Well, after your stern lectures here and lots of thought we have
decided to get 2 doggies that WILL spend a lot of time in the house and
sleep in the house. I originally wanted outside dogs as you know but
the strong lectures here made us see the light.

So, I'm on the quest for a pet quality baby pembroke corgi and baby
english lab in the South Carolina area.

If anyone knows of any for sale, please post here and I'll get in
touch.

Thanks again for the great help here. It is obvious you guys care a
great deal (some maybe too much). Thanks

Old June 4th 05, 07:13 AM
White Monkey

wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, after your stern lectures here and lots of thought we have
decided to get 2 doggies that WILL spend a lot of time in the house and
sleep in the house. I originally wanted outside dogs as you know but
the strong lectures here made us see the light.
So, I'm on the quest for a pet quality baby pembroke corgi and baby
english lab in the South Carolina area.
If anyone knows of any for sale, please post here and I'll get in
touch.
Thanks again for the great help here. It is obvious you guys care a
great deal (some maybe too much). Thanks

I'm glad you have realized that dogs need to be with their people. Thank you
for considering the advice you received with an open mind.

I'm assuming that by "English lab" you mean a Labrador bred from English
lines. I didn't realize there was a distinction, but I see from a couple of
websites that there is. Personally, looking at these sites, I prefer the
longer legs and svelter body of the American-lines lab, but that's just
me--I'm not a big small dog fan either, for example, but lots of folks are,
after all.

You should join or at least contact your local appreciation groups for the
breeds you're looking for, and collect advice about which breeders are
responsible and how these dogs, both breeds, should be raised and cared for.
That would help you out a lot with finding the pups and with preventing
problems, both health and behavioral, down the road.

--Katrina

Old June 4th 05, 03:50 PM
Ronna

So, I'm on the quest for a pet quality baby pembroke corgi and baby
english lab

You were also told there is no such thing as an "English" Lab.

Getting two puppies at the same time is going to be double the work.
Also, two puppies tend to bond together, rather than with the person.
You will have to take both dogs to puppy classes, seperately. You will
have to make sure each puppy gets one on one time alone with you.
Housebreaking two puppies is going to be a chore.

I suggest you start off with one, then later on down the road, add
another.

Old June 4th 05, 10:29 PM
Tracy Custer

There are "English Lab", really just labs bred from English lines; one
of my employers purchased one last year. He is nearly white in color -
apparently, these English lines are bred for the off-white color. He is
a great dog, typical lab personality, a shorter stockier type than labs
I've seen, with a coarser coat as well. Not sure of the breeder she
found, but I know she had him flown from out of state - paid around
$1500 for him. Nice dog, but into EVERYTHING as a youngster - I think
she's spent several grand in emergency vet fees for various reasons:
ate a bag of mulch, ate a key, had some growth plate issues, bloated
from eating a mole, swallowed several baby pacifiers (are you seeing a
pattern here?!). ; )

Tracy

EAT, SLEEP, DISC-DOG!

http://www.flyingk9s.com

http://community.webtv.net/tracycust...USTERGRUBPAGE0

Old June 5th 05, 06:53 PM

One bright night in the middle of the day on 3 Jun 2005 17:48:02
-0700, in rec.pets.dogs.breeds wrote:

So, I'm on the quest for a pet quality baby pembroke corgi and baby
english lab in the South Carolina area.

If you're willing to listen to a couple more lectures, I'm sure there
will be a flood of folks around to tell you that the above plan is not
really the best one. Two pups at the same time is incredibly hard for
most people to manage. I've done it myself (kept 2 from the same
litter) and... NEVER AGAIN!!!

Puppies need training and supervision and socialization with *people*
to make them all they can be. Pups raised together tend to bond more
with each other than with you and your family. Dogs also learn from
each other. So if one pup develops an annoying habit, the other is
bound to pick it up. Housebreaking can be problematic... if one pup is
having a bit of trouble, how do you know which one it is? The other
pup will surely mark over any accidents as well. Plus, two young pups
will play all day with each other, and the physical act of play
induces the need to eliminate... often! That can make for quite a
mess. Each puppy will need its own crate and set of bowls and toys.
Additionally, each will need to learn to stay/sleep/travel by itself,
confidently and quietly. This is important if you ever need to board
the dog... or if it requires an extended stay at the veterinary
hospital. A dog that kennel by itself with confidence will be a dog
that won't be so stressed out in an emergency. Each dog will need
"alone time" with you and your family... and away from its buddy.
Thus, you can plan on all dog chores/responsibilities to be doubled up
for quite awhile. You'll have to make the time, each day, to train,
play with, walk and socialize each pup as an individual animal. And
then you should do the same thing with the both pups together. Can you
handle this? Many folks cannot.

Generally speaking, the best thing to do is get one pup and raise it
to young adulthood (or at least for a year). Then, once you have all
or most of the bugs worked out, you can get your second puppy. The two
dogs will still be buddies and keep each other company when you're not
around. But each will also know its place in your family. The older
pup will have been housebroken and trained and the younger pup will
look to and follow the older dog's (hopefully, good) behaviors. And
you will come to really appreciate the fact that each dog will have
developed its own, uniquely individual personality.
*~ *~ *~
Karen C.
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account! So there...

"You have no power here!
...Be gone! Before somebody drops a house on you too!"