Fatal Dog Attack in San Francisco

Old June 4th 05, 06:27 PM

Default Fatal Dog Attack in San Francisco

A boy, left alone at home with two family pit bulls, in san francisco.
Hopefully one of the parents will spend a long time in jail (not both
because there are other children).

AP June 4 --

SAN FRANCISCO - A boy was fatally mauled in a pit bull attack at his
home Friday, authorities said. Police killed one of two dogs in the
house, and captured the second.

The attack occurred in the city's Sunset District, about a block from
Golden Gate Park, according to San Francisco Fire Lt. Bill Wickliffe.

Authorities got a frantic 911 call from an unidentified woman.

"She was yelling and screaming," Wickliffe said.

A police officer shot to death a fawn-colored female pit bull when it
wouldn't allow the officer to enter the apartment, said Police Sgt.
Neville Gittens.

A second pit bull, a male, was found inside the apartment and captured,
he said. The dogs weighed about 80 pounds each, according to Gittens.

Neighbors said the dogs were pets of the boy's family.

No one was taken into custody. Detectives "are conducting a homicide
investigation," said Police Chief Heather Fong.

Neighbor Aaron Vinnick, 11, said the victim - described as either 11
or 12 - lived in the apartment with his parents, brother and sister,
and the two dogs.

Asked about the dogs' behavior, Vinnick replied: "Sometimes nice,
sometimes mean."

San Francisco has seen at least one other fatal dog mauling in recent
years, the death of Diane Whipple in 2001. She was killed by two
100-pound-plus Presa Canarios in the hallway outside her Pacific
Heights apartment.

Old June 4th 05, 08:48 PM
Luna

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

80 lbs? What kind of pit bull weights 80 lbs?

Old June 4th 05, 10:24 PM
Shannon

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this particular group, but I found this thread and it caught
my attention.

I recently worked on putting together some information for parents to
use when they are getting a dog for their children. I myself have two
preschoolers.

Here is a sum up of my report, please pass the following on to parents
you know:

- children (especially under school age) should NEVER play with a dog
unsupervised.(That does not mean just being in the same house - it
means watching them).
- no child should play with more than one dog at a time (regardless of
the parent's trust of the child or dogs in this scenario, children can
easily be caught between two dogs and unintenionally be harmed)
- children should never roughhouse with their dogs.
- children should be taught not to hug their dog or kiss it on the face
(a common cause of facial injuries). Rubbing bellies or scratching
behind the ear are generally ways dogs enjoy to receive attention.
Hugging and kissing can be misconstrued and therefore CAN be dangerous.
- Parent's should take steps to have a trained dog for a family pet and
avoid putting the dog OR child in an unsafe position. Seperate them
when you can't supervise.

I recognize many parents (including myself) have allowed these
situations to occur. I also know some people will feel strongly that
their dog IS trustworthy. Maybe it is, but for every story I read that
says the "family dog had never harmed anyone before" and that the
children must have provoked them, I feel that someone was not properly
trained - dog, kid or parent - and the attack might have been
prevented.

My heart goes out to the family who must be suffering shame and grief
from the loss. Let's hope this reminds parents to be more careful. It
is not only pitbulls who can cause these problems.

--

Shannon

http://www.best-dog-breed-for-children.com

Old June 5th 05, 03:14 AM
Luna

"diddy" wrote in message
in thread : "Luna"
whittled the following words:

80 lbs? What kind of pit bull weights 80 lbs?

An overweight one?

Don't they usually weight in at around 40 lbs? All the pits I've seen are
compact and muscular but not very tall. It sounds like a messed up hybrid to
me.

Jean

Old June 5th 05, 03:22 AM
Wooly

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 22:08:17 -0400, elegy
spewed forth :

pit bulls should not be timid. that's a sign of a weak temperament in
a pit bull. pit bulls should be very self-confident.

Actually its a sign of poor treatment at the hands of humans.

look at all the horror stories of fighting dogs with half their faces
missing, or dogs left chained and starving, burned with cigarettes,
etc, who are completely human friendly and non-aggressive. that's what
a pit bull is supposed to be. that's what this breed was *bred* to be.

Pitbulls are ******* crosses of bulldogs and other things. They were
originally bred to be *fighting dogs*. Staffordshire Terriers are
descendents of pitbulls; staffies have in fact been bred for loyalty
combined with their ability as guard dogs.

hot toward other dogs, completely non-aggressive toward humans in all
circumstances.

Any dog can be provoked to attack, just as any toddler can be
aggrevated by a mate into clobbering or biting the instigator. Every
creature has its frustration limit.

Gosh, I reckon do I have a bad temperament after all, because I'm
definitely not "absolutely unprovokable".

so am i but i'm a human being not a pit bull.

Even more reason for YOU to be even-tempered and unprovokable.
Presumably you're much more intelligent than a dog.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old June 5th 05, 03:29 AM
Luna

"elegy" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 22:14:58 -0400, "Luna" wrote:

"diddy" wrote in message
in thread : "Luna"
whittled the following words:

80 lbs? What kind of pit bull weights 80 lbs?

An overweight one?

Don't they usually weight in at around 40 lbs? All the pits I've seen are
compact and muscular but not very tall. It sounds like a messed up hybrid to
me.

i think the ukc breed standard goes up to 60.

So what does that mean, el? Is it not really a pit bull? Pit bull mixed with a
rottweiller or something like that?

mine are 45 and 50.

Yours look very healthy. I get a bit annoyed when I see dogs that are seriously
overweight (but I don't think an 80 lb pitbull can be *that* overweight, do you?
It sounds more like some kind of mix to enlarge the breed).

Jean

--
"know she breaks, my siren" (tori)
http://shattering.org