help please

Old June 6th 05, 05:31 AM
hmmihatethinkinofnicks

Default help please

okay so I have a 10 year old pomeranian and she suffers seizures but
they're not very often, I think she's maybe had 3 since I got her when she
was 6 years old. Anyway, this morning she was fed some breakfast sausage
but she didn't chew it all and ended up choking because a piece got lodged
in her throat. Well all the luck she also had a seizure during the whole
experience and I thought she was pretty much gone, though she finally got
the sausage out and then she rested for quite a while. But I was just
wondering is there anything you can do for your small breed dog if they're
choking, I mean they can usually get it out themselves but there is times
when you wonder if they're gonna make it

Old June 6th 05, 05:57 AM
Rocky

hmmihatethinkinofnicks said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Well all the luck she also had a seizure during the whole
experience and I thought she was pretty much gone, though
she finally got the sausage out and then she rested for
quite a while. But I was just wondering is there anything
you can do for your small breed dog if they're choking,

It's possible that the trauma of the choking brought on the
seizure. Personally, with a 10 yo dog with very infrequent
seizures, I'd simply avoid every new circumstance which I found
triggered a seizure.

As to the choking, canine first aid courses are available in
many areas - the one I took dealt with choking and lots of other
useful stuff.

Old June 6th 05, 12:28 PM
Ruth

From: http://petplace.netscape.com/article...asp?artID=2524

Before administering any first aid, make absolutely certain your pet is
actually choking. Many people confuse difficulty breathing with choking. If
you witness your pet ingesting an item and then immediately begin pawing at
the face, the throat, acting frantic, trying to cough and having difficulty
breathing, only then should the Heimlich maneuver be considered. If your pet
is not really choking, the Heimlich can cause serious injury.

After determining that your pet is choking, remove any item that may be
constricting the neck. Examine inside the mouth and remove any foreign
object you see. Do not blindly place your hand down your pet’s throat and
pull any object you feel. Dogs have small bones that support the base of
their tongues. Owners probing the throat for a foreign object have mistaken
these for chicken bones. Do not attempt to remove an object unless you can
see and identify it.

If your pet is small and you cannot easily remove the object, lift and
suspend him with the head pointed down. For larger animals, lift the rear
legs so the head is tilted down. This can help dislodge an item stuck in the
throat.

Another method is to administer a sharp blow with the palm of your hand
between the shoulder blades. This can sometimes dislodge an object. If this
does not work, a modified Heimlich maneuver can be attempted.

· Grasp the animal around the waist so that the rear is nearest to you,
similar to a bear hug.

· Place a fist just behind the ribs.

· Compress the abdomen several times (usually 3-5 times) with quick
pushes.

· Check the mouth to see if the foreign object has been removed.

· This maneuver can be repeated one to two times but if not successful on
the first attempt, make arrangements to immediately take your pet to the
nearest veterinary hospital.

Even if you are successful in removing a foreign object, veterinary
examination is recommended. Internal injury could have occurred that you may
not realize.

--
Ruth, Greta, Woody & Thelma