International travel with Dogs

Old June 9th 05, 12:24 AM
beebop

Default International travel with Dogs

Hi,
I am hoping against hope that someone may have had experience doing this
from the USA. I have two small (well!, not so small) dogs, 17 lbs and 20
lbs. I would like to take them with us in the cabin but from what I read on
the airlines sites, their dimesions allowed are not much bigger than a small
toy dog.

I am desperately soliciting solutions, advice (please no wisecracks - too
tired to entertain those) from the NG.

I am open to travel continuously, travel with breaks in europe or Asia.
Money is not a problem as long as it is within reason (short of chartering a
plane)

Thanks in Advance

Old June 9th 05, 02:49 AM

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:24:43 GMT beebop whittled these words:
Hi,
I am hoping against hope that someone may have had experience doing this
from the USA. I have two small (well!, not so small) dogs, 17 lbs and 20
lbs. I would like to take them with us in the cabin but from what I read on
the airlines sites, their dimesions allowed are not much bigger than a small
toy dog.

Even when the dog is of the right size it very often there is a limit of
one dog in the cabin per flight. International flights are pretty long to
expect of a dog.

I am desperately soliciting solutions, advice (please no wisecracks - too
tired to entertain those) from the NG.

I am open to travel continuously, travel with breaks in europe or Asia.
Money is not a problem as long as it is within reason (short of chartering a
plane)

International travel with dogs is full of time consuming regulations. It
doesn't sound like much fun to me. You would have to research the laws
for each country a minimum of six months before travel to ensure you have
adequate time to meet requirements. You will need to keep meticulous
records on innoculations and health checks. The order in which you visit
each geographic area is also important to consider. Often exclusion is
based on whether the country the dog is going to is free of a disease that
exists in the country the dog is coming from (or has recently been to).
Islands may well be entirely out of the itinerary as they often have the
most stringent regulations. Even within the US, for example, you may not
casually take a dog to the state of Hawaii.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old June 9th 05, 05:02 PM
beebop

Thanks for the reply, It is not so much for fun but more for other reasons.
Any other ideas?
wrote in message ...
[...]

HELP with SIBERIAN HUSKY Jen R. Dog behavior 14 March 23rd 05 03:54 PM
Inhumane treatment [email protected] Dogs - general 1 March 20th 05 09:37 PM
Morning Routines Jodi Dog behavior 17 February 24th 05 05:46 PM
light reading dogs giets Alpha Dog behavior 32 March 5th 04 06:22 AM