This is about kittens

Old June 9th 05, 02:32 PM

Default This is about kittens

on 2005-06-09 at 09:11 wrote:

Good grief! I thought the most pitiful sound in the world was
a puppy crying but this is far,far worse. The poor thing
sounds hysterical with it's continous crying. It's so scared
and terrifed.

aw! poor baby! scared cats can be awfully hard to catch, and
when you do catch them, they can cause an impressive amount of
damage. if you've got work gloves, wear them.

luring with super stinky food (mackerel and tuna are good)
might help. we used to make a slurry of mackerel, egg, and
milk for enticing reluctant cats. because it's sloppy, they
can't grab and dash with it, so you're chances of nabbing them
while they're eating are increased.

I'm going to check on cat traps today and bring one home,
hopefully.

try hardware stores and, if they don't have any, the local
shelter might have one they can loan or rent you.

I hope this has a happy ending.

me too. you *rock* for trying to help the little guy.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/ (updated 4/3/05)
Old June 9th 05, 05:42 PM
Rosemary

On 9 Jun 2005 09:11:24 GMT, dogsnus wrote:

Apparently yesterday a small kitten climbed up
into the truck spare tire when Paul left work
and rode 30 miles home in it. It got away
from me when we removed it from the spare tire and
since then has been crying but running away
from me. I've followed it around the woods
for hours last night and this morning
it was back, still crying pitifully on
top of the truck tire. I can't get it to
let me near enough to catch it. It just
now went under the trailer where it's crying,
so I left it some water and food but without
a cat trap I have no idea how I'm going to
catch this little thing. It can't be much
more than eight weeks old.
I've at this all morning since 3am.

Good grief! I thought the most pitiful sound
in the world was a puppy crying but this is
far,far worse. The poor thing sounds hysterical
with it's continous crying. It's so scared
and terrifed.
I'm going to check on cat traps today and
bring one home, hopefully.
I hope this has a happy ending.

Terri

Little Kittens will usually respond very well to a cat lure.
This is stick with bright coloured wool or some shiny threads
attached. You jiggle it around close to the ground or in the kittens
view. They will find it very hard to resist the urge to play with it.
You can make one yourself or get one from a pet shop.
Patience is the key, just keep leaving a bit of food and water as well
as offering the chance to play with the lure and over time it will get
close enough to grab. You didn't say if it has gone for the food but
at eight weeks old it's likely to be already weaned so feed it a
sloppy mix of finely minced (almost pastey) raw meat and water or
kitten formula in a shallow bowl. The way to tell is it's weaned is to
smear a little food on it's face just below the nose if it tries to
lick it off it's weaned. Don't feed it milk. Kitten formula is best.
Keep it warm usually a blanket in a carboard box will do.

Good Luck.

Rosemary

Old June 9th 05, 07:10 PM
ceb

Rosemary wrote in news:blqga1h7aj85f0vv0lukc5dnhrcmadfvh7@
4ax.com:

Little Kittens will usually respond very well to a cat lure.

This is how I coaxed my formerly feral cat to come out from under the bed.
She just couldn't resist the thing.

Terri, it's so good of you to help the little kitten. Good luck and let us
know what happens.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old June 9th 05, 08:30 PM
Wooly

On 9 Jun 2005 09:11:24 GMT, dogsnus spewed forth
:

Good grief! I thought the most pitiful sound
in the world was a puppy crying but this is
far,far worse. The poor thing sounds hysterical
with it's continous crying.

Never in my life have I heard such a horrible horrible sound as that
made by a cold and hungry newborn kitten.

Two years ago I was taking entries to a nearby county's fair. As I
stood on line i heard the most horrible caterwauling (no pun
intended), which I figured was probably a juvenile bird being given
the big shove, or one which had already been put out of the nest and
was complaining about same.

The closer I got to the front of the line the louder the noise became.
Finally I reached the check-in table and found a 5-day old kitten with
umbilical stump in a box lid on the table. The gal checking in
entries found it in the trash that morning (along with its 5 dead
littermates) and was trying to farm it out to someone.

Another woman said she'd take it home, but she wouldn't be able to get
anything for it to eat for several hours. I scribbled my info on a
piece of paper, threw my entries at the gal behind the table and ran
with that kitten for the nearest feed store. It sucked down 10cc of
milk replacer and passed out, then spent the 45-minute drive home
nestled into my bra with a full belly. It finally peed after four
MORE 5cc syringes of formula.

I happened to be a demonstrator at the same fair. I had to bring the
kitten along so I could keep it warm and fed. With permission from
the fair chairperson I hung a sign outside my booth reading:

"I've got ONE of your kittens. Too bad our culture doesn't adhere to
the theory of "an eye for an eye", or I'd toss you into the trash with
five dead people and let you die from dehydration." One guy read that
sign, turned beet red and wasn't seen again in my building for the
rest of the fair.

The kitten in question is nearly two years old now and hasn't stopped
growing yet. He weighed 14# at his last checkup and he's just a long
tall thing with nary a bit of fat on him. Name? Mouse.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old June 9th 05, 09:38 PM
Opinicus

"dogsnus" wrote

Good grief! I thought the most pitiful sound
in the world was a puppy crying but this is
far,far worse. The poor thing sounds hysterical

Let me guess: This is your first cat.

It gets easier in time. Though only marginally so.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Old June 10th 05, 02:07 PM

on 2005-06-10 at 08:47 wrote:

We have kitten!

yay!

Went over there again with a flashlight this am (good time to
be in one of my insomnia phases) and there he was, very
unhappy but safe.

have i mentioned that you *rock*?!

Here's the little guy who caused such activity:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...ges/Dunlop.jpg

awww! he's an itty bitty tuxedo kitty!

And despite his extreme kewtness, he wasn't all that happy to
be in the cage if the bouncing from top to bottom and all
around with extreme howling was any indication. There was no
way I was going to stick my hand in that cage.

i would not recommend it. a cat that size can do an amazing
amount of damage. not only do they have claws, but their itty
bitty teefies are like needles. i've been bitten down to the
bone on numerous occasions and it hurts like hell.

Teh Edn

and a very good end, indeed.

Old June 10th 05, 02:16 PM
ceb

dogsnus wrote in :

Here's the little guy who caused such activity:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...ges/Dunlop.jpg

Good heavens, he is exceedingly cute! He looks like my greatly missed
Nickleby.

Old June 11th 05, 04:30 AM
Theresa Willis

On 10 Jun 2005 08:47:39 GMT, dogsnus wrote:

dogsnus wrote in :

Here's the little guy who caused such activity:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...ges/Dunlop.jpg

Given the background story, seems like he'd be a candidate for:
http://www.mycathatesyou.com/
Old June 11th 05, 09:59 PM

On 11 Jun 2005 00:35:06 GMT, dogsnus wrote:

Yeah, but it's not NICE to point out the rocks
rattling around in me haid!

oh. you wanted me to be *nice*. sorry about that, but you really
oughta know better by now.

Thank you for the kind words but this
was simply a case of an overly developed responsibility.
He/she would not have been here had it not been
for us thus we became responsible for him.

still, it would be easy for some people to decide it was Somebody Else's
Problem. my landfolks have stuck me with a couple of those. they
feigned ignorance, but i know for a fact that they dumped the critters
on me.

Renunion update was to die for which I missed and
had to wait to hear it second hand...
Mama cat was reserved a bit at first but "Dunlop" was overjoyed
and bouncing around and tagging his siblings and having
a grand old time.

par-tay!

About the time Paul was leaving for the day, *Mr.Cat Man*
called him over to see this last view of the day:

Mama was nursing him and s/he was in blissful heaven,
complete with purrs and kneading.

Awww!

how sweet! i'm so glad everything worked out and that Dunlop is back
with his mamma, sucking up the good life.

(Mr/s.Kitten/Dunlop is on his/her way tonight to be spuetered.)

excellent.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't
cope with is therefore your own problem.
-- Douglas Adams