Best Dog Breed Book

Old June 11th 05, 08:26 PM
Sanford

Default Best Dog Breed Book

What is the best general dog breed book, with color photos, descriptions,
AKA standards, characteristics, etc. of the maximum number of breeds?
Thanks for any info that can be provided. Sanford

Old June 12th 05, 03:00 AM

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:26:18 -0700 Sanford whittled these words:
What is the best general dog breed book, with color photos, descriptions,
AKA standards, characteristics, etc. of the maximum number of breeds?
Thanks for any info that can be provided. Sanford

I don't know that any deserves the label "the best" All of them have
strengths and wekanesses. Usually the weaknesses are weak enough that it
requires a book of comparable strength to make up for it. The biggest
failing I find in most breed books is failure to be complete/accurate are
regard to temperament/behavior chracteristics. But the books that are
strong in that area don't necessarily have great photos, and rarely have
AKC standards. Some of the best in regard to completness re numbers
repersented, breed standards have descriptions that are shallow and
carefully written to avoid the slightest offense - and thus are often
unrealistic.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/

Old June 12th 05, 05:21 AM
Frank Morris

Howdy Sanford,
As already said no perfect book. here are 2 books that partially fill
your needs. The Complete Dog Book. It has the standards for all AKC
registered breeds but is a little short on pix. The Atlas of Dog Breeds
of the World. Has descriptions of more than 400 breeds and a lot of good
pix. But no breed standards. But does say what dog orgs. each breed is
recognized by.

Frank X. Morris
http://community.webtv.net/Sulkhalil/SalukiCornerChime

Old June 12th 05, 11:15 AM
Chris Jung

"Frank Morris" wrote in message
Howdy Sanford,
As already said no perfect book. here are 2 books that partially fill
your needs. The Complete Dog Book. It has the standards for all AKC
registered breeds but is a little short on pix. The Atlas of Dog Breeds
of the World. Has descriptions of more than 400 breeds and a lot of good
pix. But no breed standards. But does say what dog orgs. each breed is
recognized by.

Whenever I see an all breed dog book I just gotta look up my breed, the
Smooth Collie and about two dozen select favorites. I've found good
pictures, bad pictures, no pictures (sometimes the smooth collie is just a
tiny mention in the Rough Collie entry) and the written descriptions have
been all over the place (sometimes right on, sometimes with huge errors).

Many of the international all breed books - ones that were created/printed
in Europe have different "versions" of the breeds that we have in the US.
For example in the past 40 years, the collie breeders in Great Britain and
in the US have diverged wildly in their interpretation of what a collie
should look like. In the international all breed books, the UK version of
the collie is often pictured (a very foxy face, a lot more hair on the head
& ears and smaller build overall) and the UK standard which has some
differences as well (for example the UK permits only three colors/patterns:
sable, tri, merle with no/few black patches, OTOH, the US AKC standard has
four colors/patterns: sable, tri, merle with no restrictions on black and
the color-headed white).

I remember one all breed book I had - IIRC Simon & Schuster's - which had a
so-so smooth collie photo (a head-on photo which looked like it was taken
with a wide-angle lens so the head was big and the rear was tiny, plus the
dog was way pigeon-toed. On the plus side for me was that the head looks a
lot like my Pablo). The description was confusing: it said the smooth collie
was the exact same breed as the rough (right) then said that greyhound was
heavily crossed into it (wrong). I remember the book also had the worst
Sheltie photo ever - a hunched over blue merle with it's eyes closed. It
also had some oddities in it's entries: the Boxers & Great Danes had
separate entries for each color but the Cardigan Welsh Corgi and the
Pembroke Corgi - two completely separate breeds - were lumped in one entry.
That book went through a gazillion printings and I never understood why they
couldn't replace the bad photos with good ones and correct some of the
mistakes.

Chris and her smoothies
Pablo and Lucy - who had her very first swimming lesson last night! O the
horror!

Old June 12th 05, 04:20 PM
Ronna

What is the best general dog breed book, with color photos, descriptions,

My favorite is The Mini Atlas of Dog Breeds. It has all the AKC
breeds, plus a ton of rare breeds.

Old June 21st 05, 03:55 PM
Sanford

Thank you for this info, Mr. Morris. I purchased The Atlas of Dog Breeds
for my wife for her birthday, and she loves it. Sanford

Old June 22nd 05, 05:10 AM
Frank Morris

Howdy Sanford,
Glad your wife likes the book.