New Family Member

Old June 12th 05, 04:17 AM
Tee

Default New Family Member

I'd like to announce that we are now the proud forever owners of Joe Joe.
Scott agreed that he was a perfect fit. He needed a forever home, we have a
forever home, he's already residing here so it'd be illogical to send him
away. The rescue director wasn't surprised and said she pretty much knew
I'd be calling with the question. I had to make sure they didn't have a
home waiting for a dog just like him and/or had promised him out already
pending my foster evaluation. So he goes to the vet Monday for his yearly,
will be microchipped & have a teeth cleaning scheduled.

Now I have to totally replan the travel arrangements for our August
vacation. It was one thing to travel 13 hours with Fancy where we could do
with the soft-side rooftop carrier and still squeeze some things inside next
to her crate. That's not possible with 2 dogs as 2 crates won't even fit in
the back and I can't reconcile the cost of one larger crate to house both
dogs when we have to take individual crates for their stay (where am I gonna
put those?). Can't lay the seats down because Amie needs the backseat.

Looks like the Boxers will be traveling loose and I'll be purchasing a hitch
platform for rear storage. Might as well just rent a small U-Haul and be
done with it. I'm sure it'll be interesting doing 70mph up I95 in the
middle of the night with 2 Boxers mouthing (which comes with lots of loud
growling) in the back. Before anyone suggests buying a bigger vehicle, I
have 4 years and 2 months of payments left on my Explorer and I'm not
parting with it.

--
Tara

Old June 12th 05, 04:36 AM
ceb

"Tee" wrote in
:

I'd like to announce that we are now the proud forever owners of Joe
Joe.

Oh, congratulations! I knew you and Joe Joe could win your husband over!

Enjoy your new guy!!

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old June 12th 05, 02:10 PM
Sionnach

"Tee" wrote:

Looks like the Boxers will be traveling loose and I'll be purchasing a

hitch
platform for rear storage.

Have you considered using seatbelt harnesses? Even if you don't have
seatbelts to fasten them to, there's usually something that a restraint
strap can be secured to.

My larger two ride in the back seat with adapted "Easy Rider" harnesses; I
chose that type because it's quick & easy to put on the dog, and none of the
load on impact goes on the buckles - it's all taken up by the D-rings and
the straps. (Unfortunately, none of web pics I can find of the harness
clearly depict how it fits and works.)
I cut off the loop that you're supposed to pull the seatbelt through - it
doesn't work well with lap belts, because the dog can't sit up, nor with
shoulder belts, because it pulls the dog sideways, and in both cases the dog
can't turn around.
Instead, I put heavy-duty "quick links" around the shoulder portion of the
seatbelts, then use heavy-duty carabiners to clip the quick link directly to
the harness D-rings - that allows the dogs to sit up and down, with the
quick link sliding up and down the belt.
I also purchased two restraint straps intended to go with the "Ruff Ryder"
harnesses from C.A.R.E ( http://www.canineauto.com/ )- I don't like the
harnesses, but the straps are useful.

If I need to carry the dogs in the back of a pickup truck or SUV, I can find
a strong bit of the vehicle to attach those straps to (in my old Dodge, it
was the loops on the floor that the rear seat would hook into).

...adding a footnote: I just double-checked to see if the web site was
still active, and they're now carrying a different kind of harness that
looks good, and works in a similar way to the Easy Rider.(E.g. with impact
load going on double D-rings, not on the buckles.) If I were starting from
scratch, I think I'd be buying those harnesses.

I've recently become even more of an advocate of using car restraints of
some type - I was totaled by a drunk driver (blood alcohol .22 - nearly
three times the legal limit -at 6:30 p.m.!) two months ago.
Although the big dogs - who were lying down in the middle of the car,
Morag on the floor and Bren on the seat - weren't buckled in & were unhurt
aside from Bren having a mild back strain, Rocsi would most likely have gone
through the window, and would definitely have been flung across the car into
hard surfaces if she hadn't been buckled in.

Old June 12th 05, 02:44 PM
Tee

Sionnach" wrote in message

"Tee" wrote:

Looks like the Boxers will be traveling loose and I'll be purchasing a

hitch
platform for rear storage.

Have you considered using seatbelt harnesses? Even if you don't have
seatbelts to fasten them to, there's usually something that a restraint
strap can be secured to.

I hadn't because the dogs would have to ride in the back of the Explorer.
We plan to leave at midnight and drive through the night which means Amie
will be laying down sleeping on the backseat. I hadn't given consideration
to a harness w/lead-type restraint as the Champion system shows. My only
concern would be the two dogs becoming entangled. Fancy and Joe Joe have a
penchant for consistently going the wrong way and getting hemmed up around
the exact same planters & trees that have been in my yard for years. You'd
think that after so many times of doing this and having to be untangled
they'd realize the error of their ways. Unfortunately they have more beauty
than brains. If they laid down it wouldn't be a problem but I can see them
tripping over each other in an attempt to get the best "spot" or see what
the other is seeing.

I also purchased two restraint straps intended to go with the "Ruff
Ryder"
harnesses from C.A.R.E ( http://www.canineauto.com/ )- I don't like the
harnesses, but the straps are useful.

I've recently become even more of an advocate of using car restraints of
some type - I was totaled by a drunk driver (blood alcohol .22 - nearly
three times the legal limit -at 6:30 p.m.!) two months ago.

Thanks for the link. I'm sorry to hear about the but am glad you and the
dogs are ok.

--
Tara

Old June 12th 05, 04:07 PM
ceb

"Sionnach" wrote in :

I've recently become even more of an advocate of using car restraints of
some type - I was totaled by a drunk driver (blood alcohol .22 - nearly
three times the legal limit -at 6:30 p.m.!) two months ago.

How scary and awful! I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm glad the dogs
weren't hurt -- hopefully you weren't hurt either?

Old June 12th 05, 04:15 PM
Sionnach

"Tee" wrote:

I hadn't given consideration
to a harness w/lead-type restraint as the Champion system shows.

None of the retail stores OR online stores seem to carry anything like it,
unfortunately. I found it by web-searching when I was working out the system
I'm currently using.

My only
concern would be the two dogs becoming entangled.

That would definitely be something to watch out for - whether or not it
would be preventable would, I think, depend on the configuration of the car
(e.g. where you could manage to fasten the straps.

You'd
think that after so many times of doing this and having to be untangled
they'd realize the error of their ways. Unfortunately they have more

beauty
than brains. If they laid down it wouldn't be a problem but I can see
them
tripping over each other in an attempt to get the best "spot" or see what
the other is seeing.

Heh. I can picture that. WRT self-detangling... some dogs Just Can't Get
some things. Eli, one of my Lab clients, never did really grasp the concept
of going back around a tree or pole on command, which all the other dogs I
exercised (including D.O.G., the slowest and most placid Lab on the face of
the earth) easily learned.

Thanks for the link. I'm sorry to hear about the but am glad you and the
dogs are ok.

Somebody Up There was looking out for us IMO, including the asshat in the
other car - who accelerated from the back of the parking lot of the bar
where he'd been drinking, directly into traffic at a high rate of speed. I
was going north at just over 40 mph, and he went in front of me, headed for
the south-bound lane, as if I wasn't even there. One moment the road was
clear, the next there was a car directly in front of me.
The impact tore the rear wheel off of his car, leaving it wedged between my
front wheel and the frame of his car, and ripped the entire left front upper
corner of my Nissan off. My car spun 90 degrees, ending up horizontally
across the road; his, after the wheel tore off, spun around once or twice
and ended up on the other side of the road several hundred feet away.

As far as the grace of the Deity...
First, if I didn't have excellent reflexes, and something hadn't guided
me, in the split second before impact, to cut the wheel hard to the right,
I'd've hit him squarely on the driver's door rather than hitting on the
angle at the rear wheel well.
That would most likely have killed or severely injured him, and would have
resulted in far greater damage to my vehicle and probably to me; not to
mention that the straight front-and-back "whiplash" effect would have been
far worse than the spiral forces that actually resulted.
I walked away with muscle strain to my upper back and neck & left arm
(which I'd thrown in front of my face after cutting the wheel with it, and
was struck by the airbag), deep bruises on the left side of my chest from
the shoulder belt (yes, THAT part of my chest- thank goodness I'm not
particularly well endowed!), a nasty burn on my right wrist from teh
airbag's explosive charge, and a bone bruise on my left shin from
who-knows-what.

The shift in impact is also what prevented Bren and Mw from being hurt;
since the Nissan spun, and they were in the middle of the car (in the area
that moved the least), the worst that happened was that Bren slid across the
seat and wrenched his back slightly. Morag, lying in a nest of blankets on
the floor, wasn't hurt at all.

Second, although my engine was severely damaged and leaking gasoline, the
battery cable came off during impact, preventing any chance of spark and
fire. The guys who helped me and the dogs out of the car, then popped what
was left of the hood to detach the cable, were awed by that.

WRT to the ****wit driving the other car, I have to say that it was quite
satisfying to see him being led away in handcuffs & taken off in the state
troopers' car half an hour or so later.
I have to appear as a witness in his criminal prosecution for DWI next
week; I'm not looking forward to it, but hopefully he'll get appropriate
penalty. I've been told that with that blood alcohol level, in that
jurisdiction, he should be "in deep yogurt" if the police and prosecuter do
their jobs halfway competently.
And he apparently has a history of problems; my S.O.'s mother, who used to
do drug and alcohol counseling 10 or more years ago, recognized his name as
one of her former clients. :-P

Old June 12th 05, 04:24 PM
Sionnach

"ceb" wrote:

How scary and awful! I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm glad the dogs
weren't hurt -- hopefully you weren't hurt either?

Thanks. :-) As detailed up-thread, Somebody or Something was looking out
for all of us, and I walked away with nothing more than muscle strain and
bruises.
Since I could easily have been badly injured or killed, I have no
complaints.

The main thing I regret is the loss of my 10-yo Quest - I really liked it,
and it was (as the accident showed!) a very safe and reliable car. I wasn't
able to find another one, and have ended up with a similarly-aged Mazda MPV,
which is very comfortable and pleasant to drive, but doesn't have as much
crash safety as the Nissan. (The MPV is sort of a cross between a minivan
and a station wagon, so it's a good bit shorter than the Quest.)
Hopefully the odds are in my favor NOT to have another serious crash
anytime soon! Last one I had was 20+ years ago, also completely not my
fault.

Old June 12th 05, 06:24 PM
sighthounds & siberians

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 23:17:12 -0400, "Tee"
wrote:

I'd like to announce that we are now the proud forever owners of Joe Joe.
Scott agreed that he was a perfect fit. He needed a forever home, we have a
forever home, he's already residing here so it'd be illogical to send him
away. The rescue director wasn't surprised and said she pretty much knew
I'd be calling with the question. I had to make sure they didn't have a
home waiting for a dog just like him and/or had promised him out already
pending my foster evaluation. So he goes to the vet Monday for his yearly,
will be microchipped & have a teeth cleaning scheduled.

Congratulations! What a nice-looking pair they make.

Where are you going ton vacation?

Mustang Sally

Old June 12th 05, 07:57 PM
Sionnach

"Tee" wrote:

I'd like to announce that we are now the proud forever owners of Joe Joe.
Scott agreed that he was a perfect fit. He needed a forever home, we have

forever home, he's already residing here so it'd be illogical to send him
away.

BTW, I forgot to say "congrats!" on winning DH over. ;-) Sounds like Joe
Joe is the perfect fit for your household.

Old June 12th 05, 09:36 PM
Tee

wrote:

I'd like to announce that we are now the proud forever owners of Joe Joe.
Scott agreed that he was a perfect fit. He needed a forever home, we have
forever home, he's already residing here so it'd be illogical to send him
away. The rescue director wasn't surprised and said she pretty much knew
I'd be calling with the question. I had to make sure they didn't have a
home waiting for a dog just like him and/or had promised him out already
pending my foster evaluation. So he goes to the vet Monday for his
yearly,
will be microchipped & have a teeth cleaning scheduled.

Congratulations! What a nice-looking pair they make.

Thanks!

Where are you going ton vacation?

We're going to Cape May, NJ for a week in August. Will visit Hershey Park
in PA and probably take the Ferry over to Rehoboth Beach in DE. I grew up
in Cape May and most of my family is there.

--
Tara