Mental Exercise games for Border Collies

Old July 30th 03, 04:35 PM
dratti

Default Mental Exercise games for Border Collies

What are some games or jobs to give a border collie to keep him
mentally stimulated? I love playing around with him but everyone I
talk to says they "need a job to do". And since I dont have sheep in
my backyard, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on games to
play or jobs to give him, that will give him more than just physical
exercise. I've seen "dog puzzles" in pet stores, but they seem kind of
cheesey. I was thinking of trying to work in some type of retrieval
game with maybe foam balls or something, but I dunno I dont really
know what would work well or how to approach teaching it to him.

My pup is still very young (10 weeks) but I'm looking for any
suggestions that would work now, or in the future. Thanks for any
advice.

Dave Ratti
Old July 31st 03, 06:14 AM
Jo Wolf

Dave, get thee and thy pup into a puppy kindergarden class.... followed
by basic obedience, followed by intermediate, followed by advanced,
followed by competition. ANd when a bit older get into agility training
and competition. Along the way, you will meet herding group folks who
know where the sheep and herding instructors are.... and doing herding
stricktly as enjoyment is considered just fine.

You need to know how to effectively teach your dog. You will learn this
in training classes.

At this age, you can start teaching the basic commands; he'll learn so
fast it'll boggle your mind.... but unless you have trained a dog
before, you may inadvertently teach things you don't want him to do,
which will mean that you have to untrain those errors.

Playing "find me", sorta tug-of-war (you need to learn how to do this
one Right), "bring" (fetch, by another name.... not necessarily with
balls... toys are great for this one at this age...). He can also learn
to track you ( a friend of mine starts her puppies tracking as soon as
they know their names) or others....

Stay away from the pet store training classes; you need experienced
instructors who are not bound to a company-determined program of
instruction. Vet clinics usually know who the best trainers in the area
are.... and aren't (the undesirable instructors in my area are starting
basic obedience training with electronic collars.... and recommend long
miles of road work with puppies to control an abundance of energy....
shudder).

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old July 31st 03, 02:58 PM
dratti

Thanks for the advice Jo, I've been looking into puppy classes.

I've been working with him about 5-10 minutes a day lately with basic
commands like sit and recall (per advice of our vet). You're right,
he's learning VERY fast.

When we are playing I've been trying to get him to fetch/retrieve but
cant get consitant results. Any advice on how to teach this?

Thanks
Dave
Old July 31st 03, 09:52 PM
Mud E Poz

Border Collies tend to have weird effects on
their owners. They're sort of a way of life.

I think that is true of any dog that still has a job. I have pigeons in my
shed for my dogs
Old August 1st 03, 05:24 AM
Jo Wolf

Don't expect this baby dog to have a good retrieve yet. TONS of silly
praise if he chases a thrown object, and tons more if he picks it up,
etc., a food reward and praise if and when he finally brings it to you.
And don't toss the object very far....

Remember that his nervous system isn't hooked up to great coordination
quite yet...... grin so enjoy his puppy clumsies while you can.....

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old August 3rd 03, 06:20 PM
Rocky

Shelly & The Boys said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

He suggested, after watching a program about the BC that
chases geese from a golf course, that the boys go out with
me at least once a day to chase off geese! laugh
I'll have to look into it, but his idea does have some
merit to it...

I've heard of this being done at airports.

I'm pretty sure that my city considered the same thing to chase
off the lazy geese which choose to stay over the winter. It
would probably have been more effective to chase off the well-
meaning people who feed the geese, giving them no reason to fly
south.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Old August 4th 03, 02:55 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"Rocky" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Shelly & The Boys said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

He suggested, after watching a program about the BC that
chases geese from a golf course, that the boys go out with
me at least once a day to chase off geese! laugh
I'll have to look into it, but his idea does have some
merit to it...

I've heard of this being done at airports.

I'm pretty sure that my city considered the same thing to chase
off the lazy geese which choose to stay over the winter. It
would probably have been more effective to chase off the well-
meaning people who feed the geese, giving them no reason to fly
south.

Those geese that do manage to make it south, more or less stop
here. Right next to our house. Tons of them.
I don't know about it, though...there is a particular type of goose
that looks very much like a Canadian goose. If one of those
is shot by a hunter during season, the rest of the hunt is off for
the day (in my area). Only one allowed per day. We'd only
be able to go out in the afternoon, after the hunters leave.
Shelly & The Boys

Old August 4th 03, 07:34 PM
holly golightly

hello,

i have a 3-month border collie/samoyed pup and just thought i'd jump
in with some of the ideas i've received for keeping her mentally
busy...

* teaching the names of toys. Madison often bores of fetch with a
ball (unless there's another dog that wants it), so i use her stuffed
"puppy" instead. i'll either toss it or hide it and tell her to "get
the puppy! find the puppy!" and bring it back to me. so far she
knows the name of her ball, bone, puppy and moo-moo (stuffed cow -
haha).

* treats stuffed in toys. kongs and other toys "made" for such use
are the obvious choice, but i also use old socks with lots of knots in
them (be sure to watch your laundry hamper if you try this one), paper
toilet rolls, cereal boxes (with something stuck in the bottom with
peanut butter), ice cubes frozen with a bit of carrot or something in
the middle, or even just a plastic cup over-turned on top of something
in the middle of the room. she has learned how to pick the cup up by
the handle to get the treat underneath.

* commands, commands and more commands! they say that 5 minutes of
training is more tiring for a puppy than an hour of playing outside.
i'm not sure if i've seen that in Madison yet, but training is a great
way to connect and wind-down after an hour at the park.

once you're done with all the useful sit/stay stuff (since they learn
so quickly!), teach your pup to do tricks that have no value except
are cute to look at. teach them ANYTHING you can think of, or, if
you're like me and can't think of anything, check out websites for
ideas.

ie: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/L...44/TRICKS.HTML
http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti....htm#behaviors

although, (disclaimer!) i'm sure it should also be noted here, that
you should never teach a border collie something that you don't want
to live with for the rest of its' life. a cute puppy trick may become
a neurotic tendency as they get older. and it's probably best to wait
until after puppy-hood for the "open/close" door trick. might not
want pup to get into anything in those doors just yet.

* ice cubes and frozen carrots. okay, so they're not exactly
mentally-stimulating, but they're good for the teething gums.

* socialization! might not seem mentally-stimulating, but it is! if
you are avoiding other dog areas (due to incomplete vaccinations),
then be sure to invite over a variety of people to your house. border
collies can be extremely shy or aggressive later in life and now is
the best time to get them used to lots of different sizes and shapes
of people.

but then again, this is all just puppy play. as she gets older, i
intend to enroll Madison in flyball or agility courses and keep up
with them on a regular basis. good luck with your new pup!

jenniferhawke.com
http://www.jenniferhawke.com/archives/2003_07_15.html