re-post ----> question regarding special dog food

Old June 14th 05, 01:43 AM
Brandy

Default re-post ----> question regarding special dog food

One of our dogs had bladder stones surgically removed last Monday (there
were four and they were quite large), and the vet said they were composed of
magnesium ammonium phosphate. There was no bacteria, and her urine pH was
very high. Apparently this is quite common in cats, but uncommon in dogs.
He prescribed a food called CD which is low in ash and
low in magnesium (which we have to purchase from the vet).

My question is this: Can anyone recommend an affordable dog food that's low
in magnesium and ash that we can buy in bulk instead of paying out the ying
yang through the vet's office?

Also, we have two other dogs and we prefer to feed all three the same food.
Our vet said he didn't think that should cause a problem, although he still
recommended that we feed them separately. Does anyone else have any
experience with this? Can I mix the "special" food with the "regular" food
to keep her from getting stones again? Naturally, we'll do whatever is
necessary to do to keep our dogs healthy, but I would like to do it as
affordably and tastily as possible (I wonder how she's going to like this
new food...). TIA :-)

Brandy
Say goodnight Gracie... Goodnight Gracie

Old June 14th 05, 02:04 AM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:43:12 -0500, "Brandy" wrote:

Also, we have two other dogs and we prefer to feed all three the same food.
Our vet said he didn't think that should cause a problem, although he still
recommended that we feed them separately. Does anyone else have any
experience with this?

i have a cat who is prone to struvite crystals. he refused to eat
Hill's c/d, even the canned. i ended up feeding him Wysong Uretic dry
and good quality canned food. between the two, his urine pH has been
spot on (it hasn't, alas, kept him from developing more UTIs and
crystals). unfortunately, in the end, it's been no less expensive than
the prescription food from the vet. in fact, it costs more.

i don't know if there's a similar non-prescription food available for
dogs. i recommend calling around and asking your local pet supply
shops. there may be something available, but it may not be any cheaper
or better than the prescription food.

you might ask your vet if you can use meds instead of food. i don't
know if that's an option or if it would be any cheaper than prescription
food. another thing to do is make sure that the dog is drinking plenty
of water. the more water she drinks, the more dilute her urine will be,
which will hopefully slow down crystal formation. if she's not drinking
enough water, you might try putting her on canned food or try adding
water to her kibble. water intake may not be an issue with dogs (my
experience with crystals is limited to cats), but it's something to
consider and talk with your vet about.

Can I mix the "special" food with the "regular" food
to keep her from getting stones again?

probably not. your best bet would to put just the affected dog on c/d
and leave the rest on their regular food.

Naturally, we'll do whatever is
necessary to do to keep our dogs healthy, but I would like to do it as
affordably and tastily as possible (I wonder how she's going to like this
new food...). TIA :-)

that was the deal breaker for my cat. he simply would not eat it. even
with force feeding, he lost so much weight that he started to go into
organ failure. i *had* to find a solution that he would find acceptable
or i would have lost him. Hill's c/d was not the solution. hopefully,
you'll have better luck with it than i did!

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

Color is the place where our brain and the universe meet.
-- Paul Klee

Old June 16th 05, 03:07 AM
Brandy

Thanks so much Shelly. Good idea about asking if we can medicate her.
She's going in tomorrow (hopefully) to get her staples removed, so I'll ask
the vet at that time. I appreciate your input. :-)