14 years and just started seizures

Old June 13th 05, 08:47 PM
Keera

Default 14 years and just started seizures

mid-size dog mix. she started having seizures in Dec. about 1 a month She
also has a heart murmur which has gone from a grade 1 to a grade 4 and is
now on 2 pills a day of 1.25 mg. pimobendan. Vet wants to pull back teeth
but don't know what to do as 14 years old and now on pills and if seizures
get more often will be on anti-seizure med. I am not sure how much to put
her through or how much longer she has Does anyone know of older dogs with
epilepsy?

Old June 14th 05, 02:12 AM
Spot

Unless the back teeth are infected why does he want to pull the teeth would
be my ? And even if they are infected why is he pushing for surgery rather
treat her with antibiotics. Usually when a dog has these kinds of problems
surgery is the last resort to fix anything wrong. I would get another
opinion and see what another vet suggest.

If you do end up having the surgery you have to expect that she may not make
it. When a dog is this old and in good health it's not much of an issue but
this sounds really risky to me.

Celeste

lkaboutpets.com...

Old June 14th 05, 04:25 AM
Sue M

I'd recommend checking out this web site. It will tell you everything
you need to know about canine epilepsy, plus mo
www.canine-epilepsy.com

There is also a mailing list attached to this site that is very
informative and supportive.
Good luck with your epi-pooch....I have one too and couldn't make it
without the support of the mailing list.
Sue M

Old June 14th 05, 05:35 AM
PHIL

"Keera" wrote:
mid-size dog mix. she started having seizures in Dec. about 1 a month She
also has a heart murmur which has gone from a grade 1 to a grade 4 and is
now on 2 pills a day of 1.25 mg. pimobendan. Vet wants to pull back teeth
but don't know what to do as 14 years old and now on pills and if
seizures get more often will be on anti-seizure med. I am not sure how
much to put her through or how much longer she has Does anyone know of
older dogs with epilepsy?

Hi Keera:

I can sympathize with you. I had two dogs, Brandy & Cindy who both
developed seizures in their mid-life. It is a very tough thing to deal
with. Emotionally (you) and physically (them.) Is your friend on meds for
the seizures?

My best advice is to find a really good vet, discuss your pets condition &
prognoses and make a decision on how best to proceed for you, and for your
pet.

Best wishes,
~~Phil~~

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB