dog sliming

Old June 16th 05, 07:14 PM

Default dog sliming

Hello all, I have a wonderful 3 year old Golden Retriever, who I have
unfortunately not spent much time training. Although she sits, comes,
stays, etc. fairly well, there is a fairly obnoxious behavior I can't
seem to eradicate--she likes to slime me with her nose. Her nose is
pretty wet, and she seems to take pleasure in touching me with it
whenever possible. When I reach to pet her, she intercepts my forearm
with the nose, thus leaving a bit of wet goo on the bare skin. In
other cases, if I am wearing nice clothes, she often will sneakily
brush them with her nose, leaving a visible snail trail there.

I tell her No! when she does this, but it doesn't seem to matter.
Maybe she doesn't understand, maybe I'm not quick enough? She is very
sneaky about it and might do it after I've petted her and am going
somewhere else. As I'm walking away--slime!--and it's too late!

Any ideas on how to eradicate this behavior? Thanks very much.

Old June 16th 05, 07:49 PM

on 2005-06-16 at 11:14 wrote:

Any ideas on how to eradicate this behavior? Thanks very
much.

beats me, but you've got my sympathies. one of my dogs loves
to sneak up behind me when i'm distracted--and wearing
shorts!--and ever so gently press his cold, wet nose to the
back of my knee. after eleven years, the joke still seems to
crack him right the heck up. you can *see* him laughing as
i'm jumping out of my skin. i guess that's what passes for
humor in certain canine circles.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/ (updated 4/3/05)
Old June 16th 05, 08:07 PM
ceb

shelly wrote in
arble.net:

after eleven years, the joke still seems to
crack him right the heck up. you can *see* him laughing as
i'm jumping out of my skin. i guess that's what passes for
humor in certain canine circles.

Well, it *is* pretty funny.

One thing that's funny about dogs is they like it when humans get all
excited and loud -- both my dogs will repeat behaviors that make me laugh,
but they also repeat behaviors that make me yell or jump up. I imagine the
jolt that a slimy nose gives a person would be right up their alley.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old June 16th 05, 08:30 PM
Janet B

On 16 Jun 2005 11:14:05 -0700, , wrote:

Hello all, I have a wonderful 3 year old Golden Retriever, who I have
unfortunately not spent much time training.

So, what's stopping you? There's no expiration date for training your
dog! Work her mind as well as her body and she will be a happy pup.

--she likes to slime me with her nose. Her nose is
pretty wet, and she seems to take pleasure in touching me with it
whenever possible. When I reach to pet her, she intercepts my forearm
with the nose, thus leaving a bit of wet goo on the bare skin. In
other cases, if I am wearing nice clothes, she often will sneakily
brush them with her nose, leaving a visible snail trail there.

Smart girl - she's getting your attention! She's saying "DO SOMETHING
WITH ME SO I"M NOT BORED OUT OF MY MIND".

I tell her No! when she does this, but it doesn't seem to matter.
Maybe she doesn't understand, maybe I'm not quick enough?

She's a Golden. She can't fathom that you aren't totally in love with
every single one of her habits, whether they are in reality,
attractive to you or not.

She is very
sneaky about it and might do it after I've petted her and am going
somewhere else. As I'm walking away--slime!--and it's too late!

Any ideas on how to eradicate this behavior? Thanks very much.

Start by having her sit to be petted. Every single time. When you
stop petting her, tell her, "done" and invite her to come along with
you, on your terms (i.e. petting is over).

Make sure she gets mind and body exercise every day (do I hear an
echo? ;-D). It doesn't have to be complicated, but we all deserve to
be given something to do instead of veggining in front of the tv.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old June 16th 05, 09:16 PM
FurPaw

[...]

It's not clear how much slime she's leaving... a thin damp skin, or
a honking glop? If it's more than a wee bit, she might have some
kind of allergic rhinitis, the result of which she is daintily
wiping on you. A trip to the vet could be in order.

My yellow lab recently started wiping his face on us, the
bedclothes, the carpet... He is having a problem with his eyes,
which we are trying to get diagnosed and corrected (not successful
so far - tomorrow he's getting sedated so the vet can take a really
good look). That was not one of his behaviors before his eyes began
bothering him.

FurPaw

--
"Here we go round the prickly pear
At five o'clock in the morning."

To reply, unleash the dog
Old June 16th 05, 09:37 PM

Thanks all for the thoughts. I do try to teach her things all the
time. One of the easiest, actually, was to get her to watch TV. She
loves animals on TV (although not people), and if we say "TV" she will
look at the TV and have her fun. I actually thought it was good for
her to veg out and watch TV. Otherwise she just stares at the wall and
drools . She seems smart and very obedient. We can get her to go to
the pool, watch TV, not grab a ball or food when until we let her, etc.
But this slime thing is mysterious. Is one of the concepts that if we
didn't react to the sliming, perhaps she would just stop of her own
accord?

Old June 17th 05, 07:19 AM
flick

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

We have a Saint Bernard.

When he comes in after taking a drink and lays his head in my lap, I feel -
and look - like I've peed my pants.

flick 100785

Old June 17th 05, 10:53 AM
Opinicus

"shelly" wrote

beats me, but you've got my sympathies. one of my dogs
loves
to sneak up behind me when i'm distracted--and wearing
shorts!--and ever so gently press his cold, wet nose to
the
back of my knee. after eleven years, the joke still seems
crack him right the heck up. you can *see* him laughing
as
i'm jumping out of my skin. i guess that's what passes
for
humor in certain canine circles.

Until I saw your message, Shelly, I thought ours were the
only dogs in the world that had discovered that little game.

And yes, they do seem to sit there and s****** like that
cartoon dog, what's his name? Precious?

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Old June 17th 05, 12:09 PM
White Monkey

"flick" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

When our Great Dane shakes her head after eating, drinking, or exercising,
everyone in light of sight throws their arms over their head and screams,
and the cat runs for it.
--Katrina

Old June 17th 05, 02:40 PM
flick

"White Monkey" wrote in message

When our Great Dane shakes her head after eating, drinking, or exercising,
everyone in light of sight throws their arms over their head and screams,
and the cat runs for it.

LOL!

Some of our more fat-lipped Shar-Peis left food-slime "trails" where they
rested their heads.Their tongues weren't long enough to clean off their own
lips; it's good to have more than 1 Pei, cuz they'll clean each other.

flick 100785

--Katrina