Small dogs that can run?

Old June 18th 05, 06:28 PM
John

Default Small dogs that can run?

What are the smallest dog breeds than can comfortably handle running 15
miles per week at a 6 minute mile pace?

Old June 18th 05, 09:02 PM
Diana

"John" wrote in message
What are the smallest dog breeds than can comfortably handle running 15
miles per week at a 6 minute mile pace?

I'd have thought a well bred poodle or most terriers/schnauzers (sp) should
be more than happy - shelties and corgis also have work ethic in their
heritage but I would do more breed specific research if you want to know
more about how these breeds work after so many generations of being bred
more for show / pet purposes than working purposes.

Diana

--
Cindy the weimaraner's web site:
http://cindy-incidentally.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk

Old June 18th 05, 11:20 PM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:28:13 -0700 John whittled these words:
What are the smallest dog breeds than can comfortably handle running 15
miles per week at a 6 minute mile pace?

I'm not entirely sure. There are lots of small breed dogs that can be
speedy in spurts, but many lack stamina for long distances, particularly
in warm weather. And it kind of depends upon what you mean by "small".
And how that 15 miles per week is distributed. I'd expect, for example,
that a Jack Russell terrier could handle 3 miles on dirt in temperatures
under 70 degrees. But 95% of people can't really enjoy living with a JRT
so I'm not offering that as a recommendation. If by "small" you mean in
the 30 pound range quite a few of the hunting and herding breeds from
working stock would qualify.

The smaller the dog the more difficult it is, simply because of stride
length.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old June 18th 05, 11:51 PM
John

wrote in message ...
[...]

I'm not looking for a tiny lap dog. Just the smallest that can handle the
running I described without strain.
So 30lbs is around the smallest size that could easily handle 15 miles of
fast running spread over 3 to 5 days a week?

Old June 19th 05, 02:34 AM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 15:51:21 -0700 John whittled these words:

I'm not looking for a tiny lap dog. Just the smallest that can handle the
running I described without strain.
So 30lbs is around the smallest size that could easily handle 15 miles of
fast running spread over 3 to 5 days a week?

Sorry, I can't do much more than guess, which isn't that helpful to you.
I can offer you some resources that might help. This page has some running
as well as hiking links
http://www.dog-play.com/hike.html

Yeah, if someone is looking fo a jogging partner I'm always going to
recommend the larger dogs. They are built for it. The diffrence between
structures good for speed and those suited for endurance get more
exaggerated as the dog gets smaller. I just don't know how to tell you
what the cut-off would be.

Old June 20th 05, 12:15 PM
Diana

wrote in message ...
On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:28:13 -0700 John
whittled these words:
What are the smallest dog breeds than can comfortably handle running 15
miles per week at a 6 minute mile pace?

[..]

The smaller the dog the more difficult it is, simply because of stride
length.

There was a teacher locally who used to run regularly accompanied by her two
dogs.

On talking to her on day, away from her dogs, she laughed about how her dogs
had trouble keeping with her - until I pointed out that as both her dogs
were long legged, they had to shorten their stride to keep down to her
speed, so making it more difficult for them, whereas a smaller dog might
find it easier because although they might take more strides to keep up,
they would be able to keep the pace at a stride most suitable for their
build.

As I remember, the Poodle 'Breed all about it' featured a famous US runner
who ran with a miniature poodle(?).

Diana

Old June 20th 05, 10:42 PM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:15:16 +0100 Diana whittled these words:
As I remember, the Poodle 'Breed all about it' featured a famous US runner
who ran with a miniature poodle(?).

Could be. Poodles are one of the few small breeds in which it is possible
to find breeders concerned about breeding for sound health and structure.
But there are so many poorly structured poorly bred poodles that I
wouldn't say "yeah a poodle can do it." I think if the dog is
structurally sound - possibly - in the right temperaturs and surfaces.