Leptospirosis and drugs

Old June 19th 05, 03:49 AM
Chief Tecumseh

Default Leptospirosis and drugs

Just got a call from my breeder who is checking up on my 13 week old
cairn terrier. After talking to two different vets and reading an
article from a third we decided to give the puppy a shot against
Leptospirosis. The vets indicated there were cases in the
neighbourhood. I live in mid town where there are plenty of racoons.
My breeder thought the pup was WAY to young for this medication. Any
thoughts?

Also my vets have given us a pill (Interceptor Flavor Tablets) to be
given monthly (during the summer) to prevent heartworm, fleas and
worms. Am I overmedicating this puppy?

Thanks for any comments.\

Old June 19th 05, 04:42 AM
Tee

"Chief Tecumseh" wrote in message
Just got a call from my breeder who is checking up on my 13 week old
cairn terrier. After talking to two different vets and reading an
article from a third we decided to give the puppy a shot against
Leptospirosis. The vets indicated there were cases in the
neighbourhood. I live in mid town where there are plenty of racoons.
My breeder thought the pup was WAY to young for this medication. Any
thoughts?

Also my vets have given us a pill (Interceptor Flavor Tablets) to be
given monthly (during the summer) to prevent heartworm, fleas and
worms. Am I overmedicating this puppy?

Depends on who you ask. IMO you're not overmedicating because you are
removing known risks to your puppy rather than choosing to leave him exposed
and hope he doesn't contract one of these diseases.

In SC its perfectly normal for Lepto to be administered in the early rounds
of puppy vaccines and then yearly if there's a known risk in the area or
state. IMO its certainly not too early to begin Interceptor because puppies
are perfectly capable of contracting heartworm disease. Granted, you won't
know they've got it until they're close to a year old but then you're
looking at having to treat the disease rather than just prevent it from the
get-go.

--
Tara

Old June 20th 05, 07:21 PM
It's Only Alimentary, Dear Watson

Subject: 12 Week Cairn Terrier loves to eat branches, grass etc
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | View Thread | Show original
| Report Abuse

HOWEDY chief,

Chief Tecumseh wrote:
We have a fenced in back yard with plenty of trees / bushes.

That's nice, Chief.

My puppy loves to pick up branches and chew them
along with stones, leaves , grass etc.

That so, chief? Your dog could HURT hisself doin that.

Can this behaviour be changed?

Yeah... but NOT by the EXXXPERTS you're askin, chief.
What are you chief of, IMBECILES, chief? You're askin
liars dog abusers cowards and active acute long term
incurable MENTAL CASES for advice they AIN'T GOT.

Does it need to be changed?

Yeah, but you don't know HOWE and the MENTAL CASES
you're ASKIN GOT THE SAME PROBLEM and CAN'T FIX IT.

or will he just out grow this?

He MIGHT. And he MIGHT NOT.

GOOD LUCK, chief.

Thanks for any answers.

BWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAHAHAHAHHA=ADHAAA!!!

You got to be kiddin, chief. You must be
the chief of clHOWENS, chief {); ~ )

Subject: Deadly Nightshade / PoisonHOWES
Plants & Critters - Forbidden Fruit

Date: 2004-05-01 10:17:56 PST

HOWEDY People,

The Amazing Puppy Wizard teaches HIS dogs not to
harm or eat innocent critters and poisonHOWES
plants arHOWEND HIS HOWES, like Deadly Nightshade
and poisonNHOWES toads.

The Amazing Puppy Wizard's dogs have been
pupperly introduced to all the poisonHOWES
plants and critters livin an grHOWEing abHOWET
HIS HOWES.

HOWEver, as dogs will be dogs and we know
every behavior must be apupriately GENERALIZED.

When weeding the puperty your poisonHOWES plants
which your dogs had been pupperly introduced to while
growing from the grHOWEND, are suddenly CHANGED
to a new and interesting potentially DEADLY EXXXPERIENCE.

So, soon as you're done trimin your poisonHOWES
plants, allHOWE your dog to check them HOWET
and follow the METHOD to EXXXTINGUISH their
desire for the FORBIDDEN FRUIT just like HOWE
you train ALL behaviors like introducing dogs
to kats or breaking fear aggression of small
children dog fighting fear of thunder or any
other behavior, according to The Puppy Wizard's
FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual.

"My Dog Ate A Poisonous Toad!!!"

HOWEDY People,

Living in Florida is wonderful at times but it
can have it's drawbacks; the heat, the skeeters,
the torrential dHOWEnpours, gators, poisonus
snakes and toads, and the snow birds who
want to come down and borrow my home for
two weeks or a month when it's cold up north...

Well, Jerry's dog's ain't never gonna eat a
poisonous toad because Jerry's not afraid
of a poisonous toad or anything else around
his dogs, except the snowbirds.

Here in FL my doors are open most of the
time, and the dogs and poison toads, even
the mockingbirdy walk in and out at will,
unmolested.

When my dogs spot them I say "what's that?"

When my dogs go over to investigate and
come too close, "'Kerchink!' GOOD BOY,
NICE DOG, THAT'S A GOOD FELLA" and
then I tell them it's "O.K., friends."

When my pups approach again, it's ANOTHER
" 'Kerchink!' GOOD BOY, NICE DOG, THAT'S
A GOOD FELLA" from another direction, and I
tell them "it's friends."

A couple of introductions like that, and the
poison toads and mockingbirdy can come
and go in peace and eat the mosquitoes
that would harm us, and never need my
supervision again, because my doggy's
know they're not to be molested.

Wish it were like that with the snowbirds
who want to use up my toilet paper and
call their cousins on my phone cause it's
a "local call." We've got probably the
highest in state phone charges in the
country and T.P. gets expensive.

Why can't life always be PURE PLEASURE?

Could be. If it's not, it's cause you don't know HOWE.

Here's a couple quotes from my students:

Here's two Pauls:

From: Paul B =AD=AD=AD)
Subject: Dog vs cat food (stealing cat food)
Date: 2001-03-03 22:18:03 PST

It's possible to teach a dog not to eat out of
a cat bowl without too much difficulty.

My dogs don't touch the food in the cat bowls
although Roz licks up any bits that have been
dropped around the bowls :-)

I used a can with stones in it to create a
distraction anytime the dogs tried to eat
the cats food, followed with immediate praise.

It worked a treat. The cats bowls are down
all the time, usually there is food left over
but the dogs don't eat it, even if we go out
and leave the dogs with access inside through
a dog door.

Paul

--
Obedience and affection are not related, if they
were everyone would have obedient dogs.

See the dogs, cats, us and pics of NZ etc at my homepage.....

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages=AD=AD...sie/index.html
Updated regularly (last time 23 Jan 01) so keep coming back!!!

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Date: 5/22/03 11:24:35 PM Eastern
Daylight Time

Well, let me tell you, your Wits' End
Dog Training Method works.

My dog, Dasie, Loves to chase chameleons
around the barbecue on the patio. I
used this system on four different occasions.

When she went out today, she looked
everywhere else but the barbecue.
Amazing, just amazing.

I will write to Amanda about the video.

I am really excited to learn more, and
understand. Maybe just a little reassurance
that I am going about it the right way.

Thanks again
Paul

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Disciple Paulie Sez: "No One Understands How Wits End
Training Really Works, They Assume It's All Nicey Nicey
And don't Realise It's A Very Disciplined Method That
Deals With Any Situation And The Foundation Is Built
On Trust And Understanding."

Disciple Paulie Writes:

I've never forced my dogs to do anything, I tell them
they are good dogs and they seem to follow me, once
I told them they were bad dogs and they ran away from
me, now I only ever tell them they are good dogs and
they always are, always.

Trust your dog, ask it to do your request and
say "good dog" sincerely at the end of the
request and I bet you'll find your dog thinking
then responding everytime.

A bit of respect works wonders, the same rule
applies to every aspect of the relationship with
your dog.

Obedience and affection are not related, if they
were everyone would have obedient dogs.

Paul.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

"Paul B" wrote in message

********, the manual has no dangerous suggestions at
all, people who find the manual useful are those that
don't need to control a dog to satisfy their own ego
but simply want a well behaved dog that is easy to
live with. I would suggest the people who follow the
advice in his manual are people who have already
tried other inefficient methods and are fed up with
the poor results.

The more I think about the methods he suggests the
more sense it makes, the biggest problem is people
believe they have to be in control of the dog, tell it
whats right and wrong, dogs don't understand
our values and I don't believe they are capable of
understanding them either, so to train them we use
methods they understand. That means abstract
training, doing sometimes what appears to
almost be the opposite of what makes sense to us.

If you are purely result orientated then you will not
find Jerry's manual much use, if you love your dogs
and love to work WITH them then his manual is
your dream come true. Distraction and praise works
with any dog, when you sit back and really think about
it, it's very obvious why.

When a dog is properly distracted (and praised) of a
particular behaviour then that behaviour very quickly
becomes unfulfilling so the dog will no longer have any
interest in pursuing it, whether we are about or not,
thats the key to stopping garbage can raids and food
stealing etc etc, no force, no bad dog, just distracting
it in an appropriate manner that it no longer wishes to
pursue that behaviour.

Better than hiding the garbage can eh?
Paul

From: "Paul B"
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:04:56 +1300

Subject: It doesn't work. Do it harder.

"Chris Williams" wrote in message

Interesting question posed in this article: why do
humans persist in doing things that are unsuccessful?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/=AD=AD...003/02/15=AD/=
=AD=ADHO240381.DTL

There may be a few reasons, sometimes it's ignorance,
simply a failure to realise what you are doing is
futile and you need to adopt a different approach.

Sometimes you may be learning a new technique and
need to experiment with it to be sure it's not just
the way you are applying it that is the problem, you
may need to try slight variations of the same technique
to see if there is a different result before you dismiss
it completely.

Sometimes you are doing the only thing you can think of,
even though it's not working but you simply don't know
what else to do.

Either way as long as you are able to reflect and learn
from your experiences and move forward then a few failed
attempts are all part of the learning process.

My best example was teaching both dogs to walk to heel,
alone and together in the brace position. I was determined
to teach them without any aids (choke, prong collars or
treats etc) and without forcing the heel by jerking or
restraining them using a leash, I knew it could be done,
despite the scorn of friends and even family who "knew
better" (but had never actually trained a dog in their lives).

It took me a while trying various ways to entice them
to want to walk beside me, someone else at the dog park
whose dog appeared to heel very well (but held it's
ears back and tail down and looked very intimidated
about being at heel) suggested I give up and use a
choke collar like him, but I was obstinate.

One day like a switch it all fell into place, first
one dog then the other then both together all walked
to heel, then I tried without leads and it worked,
the dogs were happy and so was I. I had persevered
and succeeded and learnt a lot in the process.

People said "it took you long enough" but now I could
teach heel easily and quickly when I need to do it again.

And now when I walk my dogs and I see the same scornful
people with their dogs still pulling on the choke collars
saying "heel, heel" it's me who has the last laugh.=20

Paul