new puppy

Old June 27th 05, 09:23 AM

Default new puppy

hi,
my husband and i just got a 9.5 month old boxer puppy named lucy.
she is very sweet but we are having some training issues. we have
decided on a verbal only training method that seems to be working fine.
the first thing is, she has very small teeth. she was come at us with
her mouth open as if to bite but her teeth were to small. we werent
sure she was trying to bite us till she got me really good on the nose
the other night. im worried that since she hasnt been sent to a
time-out or anything for this behavior before that she might not stop
now. she is going to be a fairly big dog with big teeth and we dont
want her hurting us or anyone else. any suggestions? the other thing
is, we go walking twice a day, because she is so high energy. a short
walk/run early in the day and a long one later in the evening. usually
she does well in the mornings, but at in the evening she will just stop
and sit down for no reason. she is scared to death of water sprinklers,
we thought that might be it, but she does it whether people are
watering or not. we cant figure out how to get her going and we dont
want to drag her along. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thank you. -laura jones

Old June 27th 05, 01:54 PM

on 2005-06-27 at 01:23 wrote:

she is going to be a fairly big dog with big teeth

unlikely! Boxers don't have particularly large teeth (quite
the contrary--they usually have silly, little teeth). at 9.5
months old, Lucy is structurally pretty much the size she's
going to be. IOW, her teeth shouldn't get bigger and, though
she might fill out some, she shouldn't get much larger than
she is right now.

personally, i would treat this like puppy nipping. there's
currently a thread on the same topic in this group that you
might want to read. or, you can use Google groups to search
the group's archives for more info. if you can't find
anything there, i'd suggest reposting your question with
"Puppy Nipping" in the subject line.

we thought that might be it, but she does it whether people
are watering or not.

Boxers are notorious water haters. they generally do *not*
like to get wet or get anywhere near water. if my Boxer gets
even one little toe wet, she shakes her whole body like she
just came out of a lake. and, if it's so much as sprinkling
rain, i can forget about her going outside. she melts in the
rain!

we cant figure out how to get her going and we dont want to
drag her along. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thank you.

where do you live? is it hot in the evenings when you walk
her? Boxers can overheat *very* easily, because of their
shortened muzzles. if heat is a problem, you might try making
her morning walk longer and shortening the evening walk. or,
instead of an evening walk, how about a game of fetch or
something else that's physical, but doesn't involve walking?

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/ (updated 6/26/05)
Old June 27th 05, 02:15 PM
Tee

wrote in message
ups.com...
hi,
my husband and i just got a 9.5 month old boxer puppy named lucy.
she is very sweet but we are having some training issues. we have
decided on a verbal only training method that seems to be working fine.

It'll work fine, and is the best method IMO since Boxers have very easily
injured feelings, but don't discard the value of timeouts in a crate or
crate training in general. Boxers, IME (and I've had alot of them), love to
have a crate.

the first thing is, she has very small teeth. she was come at us with
her mouth open as if to bite but her teeth were to small. we werent
sure she was trying to bite us till she got me really good on the nose
the other night.

It sounds like mouthing gone awry with excitement. Boxers are notorious
mouthers, meaning they will use their mouths to massage, gnaw, nibble and
just hold human flesh. Its their way of getting attention from people as
they're older but its basis is in play. Boxers will play with other bully
breeds by wrestling and mouthing, or playing "bitey face" if that makes more
sense. If not trained away from this behavior, which unfortunately some
people consider cute when the dogs are little, then it'll get out of
control.

A sharp NO! followed by ignorning her for a few minutes (whether its turning
your back, walking away or just refusing to look at her) will work wonders.
If you find that she's on the stubborn/thick side then buy a bottle of
Bitter Apple, or similar, which is a harmless but bitter tasting spray
available in pet stores and places like Walmart. One squirt in the mouth
after the loud NO! will also help. You can't even hold a bottle shaped like
Bitter Apple in my house without my dog fleeing for her crate and she's only
been sprayed a few times years ago.

im worried that since she hasnt been sent to a
time-out or anything for this behavior before that she might not stop
now.

That's a common misperception and one of the big reasons Boxers are
rehomed/dumped in large numbers. People assume that because the dog isn't a
20lb puppy that its no longer trainable. Boxers are trainable at any age.
They are natural human-pleasers but they *will* test you to see if you
really mean what you command or if you're just one of those people who issue
empty threats.

Enroll in a basic obedience class if you can or, if nothing else, do some
research online about basic obedience commands & training methods then
implement them at home. Spend 10-15 minutes once a day (you can do more if
you have time and/or the dog is responsive) on training, praising & reward.

she is going to be a fairly big dog with big teeth and we dont
want her hurting us or anyone else.

She won't be any bigger than she is now nor will her teeth grow but she will
become weightier so you're correct to try and nip this in the bud now rather
than wait until she's older. Keep in mind that 10mo is adolescense, its
like being a teenager, all dogs go through it and Boxers generally go
through it until they're 2yo for females and about 3yo for males. She'll
test you, test anything, try to exert her own opinion (that will never
stop), push buttons, indulge her curiosity and just generally be a
rebellious-at-times pup. Now is the best time to come up with a good
training routine, implement it and make clear your authority in the home by
not allowing her to do things she shouldn't do.

any suggestions? the other thing
is, we go walking twice a day, because she is so high energy. a short
walk/run early in the day and a long one later in the evening. usually
she does well in the mornings, but at in the evening she will just stop
and sit down for no reason.

She might just be tired. Its not recommended to run/jog long distances with
dogs under a certain age (2 I think) because it could cause damage. Either
shorten your evening run or slow to a fast walk when you notice her getting
tired.

she is scared to death of water sprinklers,
we thought that might be it, but she does it whether people are
watering or not.

Water is evil to female Boxers. Boy Boxers generally love water but the
girls are afraid they'll melt or something.

we cant figure out how to get her going and we dont
want to drag her along. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thank you. -laura jones

Stop and stand there with her for a minute. Lean down & talk to her, praise
her, rub her, get her interested in you again and give her the little break
she needs. Try something like (in a happy/excited voice) "okay c'mon,
let's hurry and get a treat" to see if you can get her going again. You can
also try bribery if that doesn't work by taking a few small pieces of treat
with you and bribe her into moving along again. One thing to keep an eye on
is the pavement. Are you running her on a blacktop road or sidewalk? They
heat up unbearably as the afternoon wears on so its possible that the
surface is too hot and she doesn't want to keep moving.

--
Tara

WOW!! [email protected] Dog behavior 13 July 1st 05 06:52 PM
dog urinates on everything pooteo Dog behavior 1 February 18th 05 10:57 AM
dog scared of brushing? Brandy Dog behavior 5 February 15th 05 09:45 AM
70 year old man kills my daughter's 6-month old Black Lab puppy, was unremorseful Thomas Murphy Dogs - general 3 July 12th 04 11:30 PM
Man kills 11-year old daughter's puppy, little remorse Thomas Murphy Dog behavior 0 July 12th 04 06:15 AM