7 People to chain themselves to doghouses

Old June 28th 05, 04:46 PM
Tee

Default 7 People to chain themselves to doghouses

This was on one of my rescue lists and I thought it noteworthy to post here.
--
Tara

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE TO THE PRESS
Contact info: Tammy S. Grimes, 814.941.7447
Event Phone: 814.207.4586
http://www.dogsdeservebetter.com/chainoff2005.html
? www.dogsdeservebetter.org
http://www.mothersagainstdogchaining.org

******************

SEVEN PEOPLE TO CHAIN THEMSELVES TO
DOGHOUSES IN FOUR STATES, JULY 2-4, 2005
Dogs Deserve Betterıs Chain Off 2005 Inspires Advocates to Live Chained to
Doghouses for as long as 36 Hours to Highlight the Plight of the Chained Dog

******************
Dogs Deserve Better announces its 3rd Annual Chain Off, July 2-4, 2005, as
the country celebrates the Freedom of America. During this time Dogs Deserve
Better calls attention to those who are still not free--dogs living their
entire lives on the end of a chain or enclosed in a pen. Seven people in
different locations of the country will chain themselves to doghouses
sometime between July 2nd and 4th, and remain chained for as long as 36
hours in solidarity with manıs best friends, to whom if chained or penned
this day remains just as any other: miserable, sad, and lonely.

Tammy Sneath Grimes, founder of Dogs Deserve Better, will live chained to a
doghouse in State College, PA for 33 hours, from 8:00 a.m. July 2nd through
5:00 p.m. July 3rd. Says Grimes, ³There are millions of Americans who donıt
even know this goes on, who donıt believe dogs live chained for life. My
hope is to bring this hidden problem to public awareness. Everyone needs to
put themselves in a chained dogıs Oshoesı, and everyone who knows the loving
nature of a dog needs to take a stand against chaining. Just because your
father did it--and his father before him--does not make it right and does
not make it acceptable in todayıs society.²

Grimes is excited this year to be joined by six other advocates in
Pennsylvania, Indiana, Kentucky, and Virginia who will also chain themselves
to doghouses. Near Scranton, Pennsylvania, Amanda Povilitus joins Grimes for
a second year for eight hours July 4, next to an as-yet-unnamed friend;
Monica Kinley-Kuhn and Sam Hogenaur will be chained for 24 hours in
Richmond, Indiana July 2-3; Shelby Craig will live chained for 36 hours in
Shelby County, Kentucky July 3-4; and Dan Paden will be chained for 2 hours
in Richmond, Virginia July 2.

Grimes explains, ³Dogs are pack animals, and as such hate to live alone. In
the absence of the pack of long ago, we humans have become their pack. When
they are isolated from us, they suffer both mentally and physically. Many
dogs have even been found with collars embedded in their necks, the result
of years of neglect at the end of a chain. And many dogs have starved or
frozen to death on the end of these chains. Dogs living in these
circumstances can become aggressive--eight children nationwide have lost
their lives as a result of chained dogs since October 2003, and another 29
children suffered serious injury.

Itıs time America put a stop to this archaic method of caring for the family
pet. We ask all caretakers to take your dogs off chains and out of pens,
make them part of your family. We ask all lawmakers to consider both the
safety of the dogs and the children, and create better laws to enhance our
communities. And we ask all those who believe in our cause, whose dogs sleep
in their homes and reside in their hearts, to stand with us for the sake of
those not so lucky. Speak out today; Bring on the Evolution!²
Dogs Deserve Better is the 2003 First Place Winner of the ASPCA/Chase Pet
Protector Award, and is a national and international nonprofit working to
bring dogs out of the backyard and into the home and family. For more
information on the organization and Chain Off 2005, visit the website at
www.dogsdeservebetter.org.

Tammy Sneath Grimes, Founder
Dogs Deserve Better: No Chains!
First Prize Winner, ASPCA Pet Protector Contest
http://www.dogsdeservebetter.org
P.O. Box 23, Tipton, PA 16684
1.877.636.1408 ? 814.941.7447
15% of Tammy's art profits go to DDB:
http://www.littlegirllooking.com

Make a Difference in a Chained Dog's Life!
Change Laws. Educate Society. Volunteer your Time. Foster a Chained Dog.
The More You Stand With Us, The More Chains We Will Break, Together!
Donate Fencing, Training, Time, Crates, Corporate Sponsorship.
Donate via http://www.dogsdeservebetter.org/donations.html
Shop through http://www.igive.com/ddb
They Deserve Better!