Dogs and anticipation?

Old July 1st 05, 07:31 PM
whatthe@fu?.com

Default Dogs and anticipation?

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 04:49:10 GMT, Goo wrote:

No dog has any sense of anticipation longer than a
couple of seconds.

Can you back up that absurd sounding claim?
Old July 2nd 05, 12:13 PM
Spot

Wow are you wrong, My dog Barney would ride all over the place with us and
never carried on and became excited except every time we went through
Phillipsburg. He knew the second we were there that it meant we were going
to camp. He would be wound up from there until 40 minutes later when we
finally arrived.

Celeste

Old July 2nd 05, 07:49 PM
dh@.

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 07:53:22 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 14:31:38 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 04:49:10 GMT, Goo wrote:

No dog has any sense of anticipation longer than a
couple of seconds.

Can you back up that absurd sounding claim?

If Goo comes back with a theory-- I'll dispute it with personal
experience.

Goo is short for Goobernicus. It would be hilarious to see him
try to defend his beliefs, but he is most likely as afraid to try as
he is with a number of similar absurd sounding ideas that he
wants to promote. He also insists that animals are incapable
of feeling pride, and also disappointment. It's a level of ignorance
that is quite impressive. LOL...Darwin gives an excellent example
of his dog experiencing disappointment, and describes the dog's
expression of it and his change of behaviour as a result of it. Goo
quite amusingly insists that Darwin's observation is merely his own
projection of an emotion Goo believes--now get this--is too complex
for animals to be able to experience. Hilarious!

I used to keep my small-game hunting jacket in an upstairs closet.
When I was hunting that day I would take it out of the closet and
carry it downstairs. My rabbit dog would go nuts until we left the
house together, me wearing the jacket. It didn't matter if it was 10
minutes for a quick cup of coffee or several hours for an afternoon
hunt. If I went outside without the jacket she'd remain inside
'guarding' it.

Now she was an exceptional dog- a mutt from a mostly beagle and mostly
black & tan- so I don't doubt that there are some dogs [just like some
people] that can't anticipate any more than a couple seconds. But
the *No dogs* claim is definitely wrong.

Jim

I feel quite certain that he would not only insist no dogs are able
to, but that no animals at all are capable of it, if he is able to muster
up the courage to defend his absurd beliefs. He is very much the
coward about things like this, but maybe he'll share some of his
vast and amusing "knowledge" and "experience". Goo?

Old July 2nd 05, 08:47 PM
Derek

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 14:49:08 -0400, dh@. wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 07:53:22 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 14:31:38 -0400, wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 04:49:10 GMT, Goo wrote:

No dog has any sense of anticipation longer than a
couple of seconds.

Can you back up that absurd sounding claim?

If Goo comes back with a theory-- I'll dispute it with personal
experience.

Goo is short for Goobernicus.

You're so funny. You kill me every time.

It would be hilarious to see him
try to defend his beliefs, but he is most likely as afraid to try as
he is with a number of similar absurd sounding ideas that he
wants to promote. He also insists that animals are incapable
of feeling pride,

Then I take it you would have no objection to
the proposition that animals are capable of
rational thinking that in itself can recognise its
own value by inference alone. Well done, Dave,
although for the record I totally disagree with
any such proposition.

pride
n.
A sense of one's own proper dignity or value; self-respect.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pride

Now you've acknowledge animals own dignity
and value, even to the point where they can
recognise it within themselves introspectively,
what justification do you have for taking this
dignity and value away from them by having
them farmed and slaughtered, simply for your
taste preferences? Does the concept of
dignity and inherent value mean that little to
you?

and also disappointment.

Disappointment can only arise if one's
expectations are dashed, which necessarily
means a knowledge of the future and an
understanding of one's abilities. Do animals
have these capabilities?

It's a level of ignorance
that is quite impressive. LOL...Darwin gives an excellent example
of his dog experiencing disappointment, and describes the dog's
expression of it and his change of behaviour as a result of it.

Darwin affirms the consequent when concluding
his dog can feel disappointment, simply by looking
into its face or observing its behaviour.

1) If the dog is disappointed, then he will do x, y, z.
2) He does x, y, z
therefore
3) the dog is disappointed.

Goo
quite amusingly insists that Darwin's observation is merely his own
projection of an emotion

He's right.
Old July 2nd 05, 10:25 PM
Brock Ulfsen

Rudy Canoza wrote:
The jacket was a signal. Animals respond to signals. Dr. Pavlov
demonstrated that over 100 years ago.

That isn't the same thing as anticipation. If you tell your dog today
you're going to go rabbit hunting tomorrow, the dog will stare at you
stupidly.

Demonstrate how programmed behaviour in response to stimuli in dogs
(bell = food) is any different to anticipation in humans "Let's go to
McDonalds" causes salivation and other observable behaviour...

....Brock.

Old July 3rd 05, 10:22 AM
Derek

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 14:49:08 -0400, dh@. wrote:

I feel quite certain that he would not only insist
no dogs are able to, but that no animals at all are
capable of it

You're on record as claiming animals cannot
anticipate things, even their own deaths, even
if those animals are witnessing the deaths of
others in their immediate vicinity;

"You might feel that they become afraid when
they see the pigs before them get killed, but that's
not the case either. I've seen pigs killed in front
of each other several times, and talked to other
people who have as well, and never have seen
or heard of an instance where a pig became
scared of its own slaughter after witnessing that
of another. In fact just the opposite...what I've
seen is them sniffing the dead pig, and drinking
its blood."
David Harrison May 3 2004 http://tinyurl.com/bzppt

But, seeing as you've now changed your mind
and accept the notion that animals can anticipate
things, why aren't you doing as earlier promised
and thinking "about the whole thing [killing
animals for food] in a different way"?

"My position is that they don't understand their
position. They don't know about death, they
don't know about meat, and they certainly
don't know they will be killed so humans can
eat them. If they did, I would think about the
whole thing in a different way"
David Harrison Mar 12 2001 http://tinyurl.com/bl2xa

"If the animals we raise for food knew the
situation they are in, it would change my way
of thinking about it a great deal."
David Harrison Sep 20 2003 http://tinyurl.com/b4lcs

According to you, animals can anticipate things,
which necessarily means they are aware of
their immediate situation. Have you started
thinking about your diet on them differently, or
were you lying again?

Dogs and anticipation? whatthe@fu?.com Dog health 134 July 30th 05 11:59 AM
Dog Whisperer Suja Dog behavior 15 December 12th 04 06:00 AM
Movie review, "Good Boy" doesn't suck Jana Dog behavior 12 October 12th 03 03:19 PM
Movie review, "Good Boy" doesn't suck Jana Dog behavior 0 October 12th 03 04:06 AM
Movie review, "Good Boy" doesn't suck Jana Dog behavior 0 October 12th 03 04:06 AM