Toy Poodle and Accidents!!

Old July 3rd 05, 09:57 PM
Shawn Taylor

Default Toy Poodle and Accidents!!

I have a toy poodle and she is going to be 1 year old on july 4th. I got her
trained to potty on a pad ever since she was a pup. But she always seems to
have accidents once every couple of days. I cant figure it out, I spank her
and rub her knows in it. But it dont work. Just recently I have used a
newpaper and it dont seem like it works to well either. Is there a way I can
get my little poddle from stop pottying all over the house. Also if there is
a way I can try to get her to go outside instead of on a puppy pad, I think
that would eleviate some of my problems. Any pointers?? Thanks for all your
help!

Old July 4th 05, 02:07 AM
Spot

First off QUIT hitting the dog. It doesn't know what it's done wrong and
doesn't understand. You are only teaching it to be afraid of you. Why the
hell would it come to you to go outside if everytime it has and accident you
rub it's nose in it or hit it. Jesus people like you shouldn't even have a
dog if you think this is the way to correct them.

You already made a huge mistake by even letting the dog begin to think it's
OK to use potty pads. I'd bet you have the poor thing so damned confused it
doesn't know what the hell to think. You need to start over from the
beginning and train the dog properly. It means getting off your behind and
taking the dog out every couple hours and REWARDING IT with lots of praise,
treats and NO HITTING IF IT DOES MAKE A MISTAKE. You will find if you treat
the dog properly and with love it will respond accordingly and want to come
get you to take it outside.

You've already screwed up the dogs trust in you it's going to take a hell of
a long time to get it back. If you don't have the patience to do it right
then find someone to take the dog who will.

Celeste

Old July 4th 05, 07:59 AM
White Monkey

Ignore the Puppy Wizard, he'll never change and most of us have him
killfiled. Celeste gave you the same good advice any of us would have given
you. If it's not what you want to hear, oh well, you won't succeed in your
housetraining and none of us will be surprised. You could at least try it or
even just think about it. So she could have put it nicer, oh boo-hoo. What
you are doing is causing your dog unnecessary
trauma and is counterproductive. Just the way it is.
--Katrina

Old July 4th 05, 12:03 PM
Diana

"Shawn Taylor" wrote in message
I have a toy poodle and she is going to be 1 year old on july 4th. I got
her
trained to potty on a pad ever since she was a pup. But she always seems
have accidents once every couple of days. I cant figure it out, I spank
her
and rub her knows in it.

****************

This is a very old fashioned 'method', I know that it is still a popular
idea, but it really doesn't work. You'll have some making up to do now, but
that's fine. Dogs are quick to forgive if you put enough in to it.

If she's messing in the house at all, its not potty trained, and as
suggested, you'vce already started out on the wrong foot by teaching her to
potty on the pads in doors, but again, poodles are very clever little dogs,
so it shouldn't take you too long... so long as you can commit to putting
the necessary time and effort in.

This is presuming that she is already worried about being told off for
weeing at all. The crate method might work wll for you, but this worked
with my pup cos I didn't wwant to crate her more than I had to and had the
luxury of being able to be close to 24 / 7. It took a few days all in all,
excluding a break for 2 UTI's after each of her puppy shots.

To repair damage done (ie puttig her off doing it for you, I would take a
couple of days where you can spend most of the time outside together, and
preferably on grass. Maybe some tme in the yard tending the flower beds?
Keep her on a longish lead tied to your waist, and keep a lot of treats
around you. Whenever she goes to potty, make a huge fuss about it, give it a
name and reward her. Your aim is to associate the act with a special word -
ours, for example, is 'wazza' and my weimi loves a huge 'round of applause'
for performing her wazza when I ask her to.

keep working on this. Now work on teaching her 'outside'. Start at the door
that leads to your yard. (assuming you have one, if not, secure an area
around the door using whatever you can to provide a safe area out side - or
use a long leash. Sit her by the open door, say outside, and throw a treat
out for her. She should follow. keep doing this until she anticipates you
throwing thetreat and hops out on command, then move the goal posts. Sit her
at the opposite end of the room to the door, say outside and walk towards
the door. Again, as she learns to anticipate, you stop giving her the hint,
(by not walking towards the door), until she has learn the command... then
proceed to the next adjoining room.

In little incidences, you go through every room that she is allowed in to
be assured that she knows the difference between outside and anywhere in the
house. Keep taking her out for regular wee breaks, and say 'outside' as you
cross the threashold. When she wees outside, continue to fuss and use the
word. If you catch her weeing indoors, its a firm, positive, but not angry
'no, outside' and gently pick her up and take her outside, getting wet if
you need to, but she should stop mid flow.

Diana

--
Cindy the weimaraner's web site:
http://cindy-incidentally.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk

Old July 4th 05, 12:39 PM
buglady

"Shawn Taylor" wrote in message
she always seems to
have accidents once every couple of days. I cant figure it out, I spank

her
and rub her knows in it. But it dont work. Just recently I have used a
newpaper and it dont seem like it works to well either. Is there a way I

can
get my little poddle from stop pottying all over the house.

.................First take the dog to the vet. It is not unheard of for
dogs to go more often when they have a urinary tract infection. It's always
the first consideration - a physical problem

..........Second if you dribble on the toilet seat, dunk your head in the
toilet water and see how you feel. Go to the library and get some books on
dog training. You're scaring your dog to death and making a nervous wreck
out of her.

.........Third, don't use your nasty language here. You may be terribly
young, but it's no excuse.

buglady
take out the dog before replying