Going to the vet, but seeking experienced advice

Old July 4th 05, 06:30 AM
Trish Dunphy

Default Going to the vet, but seeking experienced advice

Hi,

My dog is 16, I've posted about him occasionally. He has a vet appointment
tuesday morning, but since about three days ago something new has popped up.
In his scrotum area he has what appears to be a large round ball. He's been
neutered since he was 5 weeks old, I've had him since he was 2 weeks old, a
rescue.

Needless to say, I'm very attached to him as he is to me. But back to this,
what seems to be a cyst... a very large one about 2 inches in diameter. It
doesn't affect him, that I can see, still high energy level, no apparant
pain, no discolouration, no limping, no problem rising or sitting, no
problem walking or jumping on my bed. He's eating and drinking well. But
he keeps scratching at his groin area and licking it. I can move the round
area and touch it, it's not hard but not soft either and only on one side.

Interestingly after he urinates it seems to shrink to about half its size.
Could it be an infection? I'm giving him an extra walk each day now (now at
5 walks a day) as he seems to need to urinate more.

As I said, he has a vet appointment on tuesday morning for his annual
check-up, he was just there in January and had blood work done with no
issues. He also has some lumps on his chest area but the vet says its fatty
deposits (they've been there about 2 years now without complication).

Has anyone any experience with anything similar? And if it is a cyst, will
he need surgery, he has a heart murmur of 3 to 4, the vet is very hesitant
to sedate him. Just to be clear, money is not an issue, him being sedated
is.

Please respond either here or through my e-mail account if you have any
advice.

Thanks
Trish

Old July 4th 05, 12:30 PM
buglady

"Trish Dunphy" wrote in message
My dog is 16, I've posted about him occasionally. He has a vet

appointment
tuesday morning, but since about three days ago something new has popped

up.
In his scrotum area he has what appears to be a large round ball.

Needless to say, I'm very attached to him as he is to me. But back to

this,
what seems to be a cyst... a very large one about 2 inches in diameter

Interestingly after he urinates it seems to shrink to about half its size.

........I had a dog with a growth in the genital area that turned out to be a
histiocytoma - a benign type of growth. But it didn't pop up over a few
days. Is it in the area of the prostate or where the testicles were? Could
be an infection. Hard to say. I'd take some very fresh urine in to be
analyzed and get some bloodwork done - at least a CBC and chem highlights.

best of luck to you and your oldster
please post back

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old July 5th 05, 11:29 PM
Trish

"buglady" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Well we survived the vet visit and surprisingly it went well, the lump is
another cyst that is enlarged due to Maggot's constant scratching and will
the third visit in a row he still has not received his yearly vaccinations
because of allergies. So we go back next week to see if everything is under
control enough to get them then. He had his senior blood work done and
we'll get the result tomorrow as well as a urine sample was taken.

I'm so proud of him, I know he's uncomfortable with his red itchy eyes and
itchy belly but he didn't even moan as Dr. John poked and prodded, an
amazingly pleasant trip to the vet!

Thanks buglady for your advice

Trish

http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=132206&j=t

Old July 6th 05, 04:49 PM
buglady

"Trish" wrote in message
.. .
Well we survived the vet visit and surprisingly it went well, the lump is
another cyst that is enlarged due to Maggot's constant scratching and will

,,,,,,huh.....strange.........wasn't a lymph node?

Unfortunately, for
the third visit in a row he still has not received his yearly vaccinations
because of allergies.

........your dog is 16 years old. Doesn't need one more vaccination, _for
anything_, ever. Please don't vaccinate this pup any more. I'm surprised
your vet is pushing vax on such an oldster. Tsk tsk on him. If you need
some good sites to read let me know. Vaccinations will only exacerbate the
allergy problem at his age (or any age if you ask me).

He had his senior blood work done and
we'll get the result tomorrow as well as a urine sample was taken.

........please post back when you get the bloodwork!

Old July 6th 05, 06:32 PM
Trish

"buglady" wrote in message
news
"Trish" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

His bloodwork came back and was described as "perfect" except for a little
decrease in protein, I was told this is normal in a dog his age and that it
was nothing to worry about. I'd love to have those sites you mentioned. I
should explain, I'm not so sure allergies describe it properly, his body
can't break down protein properly so he's on z/d however he has gotten into
the cat food and this caused the recent flare up.

Thanks
Trish

Old July 8th 05, 11:56 AM
buglady

"Trish" wrote in message
.. .
His bloodwork came back and was described as "perfect" except for a little
decrease in protein, I was told this is normal in a dog his age and that

it
was nothing to worry about.

.........that's great!

I'd love to have those sites you mentioned

........since my links are on my other browser, which is broken, I'll post
this site, which has a lot of links:
http://www.dogaware.com/misc.html#vaccination
The first one (at IVIS) is a discussion by Dr. Schultz, DVM, who has spent
years on this issue.

........I'd also suggest looking at the pages at the Senior Dog Project,
which is a great site:
http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/care.fr.html

There's also a Yahoo list called Beyond Vaccination.

may your oldster have many more happy days