Limping question

Old July 5th 05, 04:43 PM
ceb

Default Limping question

Greetings:

After a riotous time hiking and playing in the river yesterday, Zoe was
limping a bit in the evening. I checked her over and couldn't find
anything wrong. It was her right front paw and she was only favoring it
slightly. This morning she was limping even less, but I'm not convinced
she's 100% yet. Is this a wait and see situation? Or do people think it's
best to take her to the vet, just to be on the safe side? She really was
running hard and swimming hard and I think just might have irritated her
paw, although I can't see any problem areas.

On another note, after we got back, she wound up peeing inside the house
a couple of times, something she never, ever does. We don't have a good
signal for when she needs to go out in addition to regular times. I
immediately thought UTI, but she had settled down by the evening and was
fine overnight and this morning. So I guess my question is, does this
happen to other dogs after swimming and strenuous exercise? Of course she
had plenty of opportunity to do whatever she needed to do while we were
at the park, so it didn't occur to me that she might need to go so soon
after getting home. It was pretty hot yesterday and both dogs drank a lot
of water -- but they always drink a lot after going to the park (and
while at the park) and we haven't had this problem before.

If it makes any difference, they've also been experiencing total
disruption to their schedule, as my dad is visiting for a couple of
weeks.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old July 5th 05, 04:57 PM

ceb wrote:
Is this a wait and see situation? Or do people think it's
best to take her to the vet, just to be on the safe side?

I tend to play those by ear. If it's really dramatic and
doesn't begin to resolve very quickly I call the vet, and if
it's moderate to mild I give it some time to see if there's
improvement. If she's still gimpy after a few days I'd call
the vet, even though what's usually called for is rest.
Still, a vet can tell you if you're looking at soft tissue
injury or at a fracture and can make specific
recommendations. If she's already looking a lot better I'd
tend not to call the vet, keep her quiet for a few days, and
keep an eye on it.

Old July 6th 05, 04:55 PM
buglady

"ceb" wrote in message
After a riotous time hiking and playing in the river yesterday, Zoe was
limping a bit in the evening. I checked her over and couldn't find
anything wrong. It was her right front paw and she was only favoring it
slightly. This morning she was limping even less, but I'm not convinced
she's 100% yet. Is this a wait and see situation?

........unless the dog is really painful, I usually wait 3 days. We all get
sprains and strains. Every day it should be getting better. I've just had
too many instances of a dog finally putting weight on a leg in the vet's
office while waiting for an appt! Besides they always want to give
steroids, even for strains and sprains. Make sure you check her leg and paw
and see if there's any reaction to touching.

On another note, after we got back, she wound up peeing inside the house
a couple of times, something she never, ever does. We don't have a good
signal for when she needs to go out in addition to regular times. I
immediately thought UTI, but she had settled down by the evening and was
fine overnight and this morning. So I guess my question is, does this
happen to other dogs after swimming and strenuous exercise?

........probably drank a ton of water. If it was a really hot day they drink
even more to cool off. I'd wait and see on this too, unless you're noticing
anything unusual. If you're too worried take a urine sample in to the vet.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old July 6th 05, 07:00 PM
Kathleen

ceb wrote:
[...]

It sounds pretty typical of "opening day of swimming season" type
symptoms. Strains and contusions and bruised pads from running over
rocks, and housebreaking accidents caused by swallowing enormous volumes
of water while swimming and playing. Unless the dog was in acute pain
or there was something obviously misaligned I'd give it maybe three
days and see if the limping improves. If not, then it's time to check
in with the vet.

If the shore or bottom of the river is rocky I'd probably avoid the
"running and diving into the water and fetching" games. Frequent
swimming will build her strength and endurance but wet pads are always
vulnerable to injury, and it's all too easy to twist a foot on slick rocks.

Kathleen

Old July 8th 05, 12:27 AM
ceb

"buglady" wrote in
hlink.net:

"ceb" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks to everyone who replied. Zoe was fine the next day and has not
been limping since, and no more accidents either. "Wait and see" seems to
have worked in this case. I'm sorry I didn't write sooner, but our news
server has been down for a couple of days.

question askmars Dogs - general 0 June 26th 04 06:56 AM
AskMars - Labrador Health question testn Dog behavior 0 May 17th 04 04:20 AM
AskMars - Labrador Health question testn Dog behavior 0 May 17th 04 04:20 AM
AskMars - Labrador Health question testn Dog behavior 0 May 17th 04 04:20 AM
Question for the hunters here DogStar716 Dog behavior 137 December 12th 03 05:51 PM