I thnk the gopher is gone.

Old July 8th 05, 01:17 PM
marie

Default I thnk the gopher is gone.

We had a torrential (though short lived) downpour Monday afternoon: in the
space of 30mins, an open 112 litre storage box that sits on our deck (it's
*supposed* to be a toy box, but the boys prefer their things scattered on
the ground where mommy can kill herself on them) became 1/2 filled with
water. I suspect the burrow got *very* wet.

Since then, Macula has been barking constantly whenever she's let outside.
SIGH The quiet was nice while it lasted.

Marie
"Before things can return to normal, I have to figure out what 'normal' is."

Old July 8th 05, 01:27 PM

In article , marie wrote:
We had a torrential (though short lived) downpour Monday afternoon: in the
space of 30mins, an open 112 litre storage box that sits on our deck (it's
*supposed* to be a toy box, but the boys prefer their things scattered on
the ground where mommy can kill herself on them) became 1/2 filled with
water. I suspect the burrow got *very* wet.

It may be gone, but in my experience there's not much that
will drive them out if they want to go, and that includes
water. I've shoved big rocks (20lbs.) down groundhog holes,
filled them with dirt, filled them with water, thrown
dogshit down them, and so on, and had the groundhogs refuse
to leave. I would guess that if the groundhog is gone it's
because Macula annoyed it and it left for perceived safety
reasons. Tell Macula she's a good dog.

Old July 8th 05, 01:50 PM
marie

Oh, she's a very good girl: a *very loud* good girl. ;-}

Marie

Old July 8th 05, 06:53 PM
John Oliver

On 8 Jul 2005 08:27:45 -0400, Melinda Shore wrote:
It may be gone, but in my experience there's not much that
will drive them out if they want to go, and that includes
water. I've shoved big rocks (20lbs.) down groundhog holes,
filled them with dirt, filled them with water, thrown
dogshit down them, and so on, and had the groundhogs refuse
to leave.

I don't know if you can still buy them, but I used to get "Gopher
Gassers". You light them, shove them down the hole, and plug the hole
with a wad of newspaper or something. They fill the tunnel with
poisonous gas. If they try to escape out the back way, well... have the
dog and/or a 12 gauge loaded with birdshot on standby... :-)

* California gun owners - protect your rights and join the CRPA today! *
* http://www.crpa.org/ *
* San Diego shooters come to http://shooting.forsandiego.com/ *
Old July 10th 05, 03:25 AM
Kathy

"diddy" wrote in message
in thread : John Oliver
whittled the following words:

On 8 Jul 2005 08:27:45 -0400, Melinda Shore wrote:
It may be gone, but in my experience there's not much that
will drive them out if they want to go, and that includes
water. I've shoved big rocks (20lbs.) down groundhog holes,
filled them with dirt, filled them with water, thrown
dogshit down them, and so on, and had the groundhogs refuse
to leave.

I don't know if you can still buy them, but I used to get "Gopher
Gassers". You light them, shove them down the hole, and plug the hole
with a wad of newspaper or something. They fill the tunnel with
poisonous gas. If they try to escape out the back way, well... have the
dog and/or a 12 gauge loaded with birdshot on standby... :-)

Or fill the hole with lye. Hold your breath, stand back and pour down a
gallon of bleach. Drop a rock in the hole to contain gases. Cyanide gas
releases and fills the tunnels, killing them. Same thing as gopher
gasers, just the home grown more dangerous method.

uhh...produces chlorine gas, not cyanide.

Old July 10th 05, 01:32 PM
I'm bAck wIth my Fav4iteMidis

I thnk the gopher is gone.

Group: rec.pets.dogs.behavior Date: Fri, Jul 8, 2005, 5:53pm (EDT+4)
From: (John=A0Oliver)
--
* John Oliver =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
http://www.john-oliver.net/ *

This may sound like a stupid question but why are gophers hated so much
that people will do anything including horrendous ways to try to kill
them. Besides the holes they make. Do they attack people or other
animals? Do they carry rabies? Seems like there's alot of hatred for
those critters just for being themselves. I can understand not wanting
them in your yard but the way people try to kill them that's something
else.

Old July 10th 05, 02:35 PM

I'm bAck wIth my Fav4ite
Midis wrote:
This may sound like a stupid question but why are gophers hated so much
that people will do anything including horrendous ways to try to kill
them. Besides the holes they make.

The holes are a big deal - they're large and if you have a
bunch of groundhogs you have a bunch of big holes. There's
also a problem with rabies, and with garden and crop
visitations, and basically all the stuff that goes with
overpopulation caused by humans mucking with "natural"
predation systems.

I don't use poisons, myself, because I can't see introducing
poisons into the food chain, because I think they tend to be
crueler than necessary, and because I'd like to keep my land
certifiable as organic. However, I do have a neighbor who
rides his 6-year-old daughter around on his ATV at, like,
5mph, and he always has a handgun stuck in the back of his
waistband. He shoots groundhogs when he sees them and I've
given him permission to shoot groundhogs on my land. It's a
humane way to dispose of a nuisance and there's something
weirdly cute about this guy, his daughter, the
sslllooooowwww ATV rides, and them potting away at
groundhogs together.

Old July 10th 05, 08:01 PM
I'm bAck wIth my Fav4iteMidis

I thnk the gopher is gone.

Group: rec.pets.dogs.behavior Date: Sun, Jul 10, 2005, 9:35am From:
(Melinda=A0Shore)
In article , I'm bAck
wIth my Fav4ite
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Mi dis
wrote:
[...]
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware
brevis -

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Prouder than ever to be a member of
the reality-based community

Hi Melinda thanks for answering.
So they do carry rabies. Not so hot if one of yor pets or your
neighbor's pets gets a hold of it. I can see humane ways of killing
them. Just couldn't see the sadistic ways & people enjoying it. Quick &
painless is my motto

Old July 10th 05, 09:30 PM

I'm bAck wIth my Fav4ite
Just couldn't see the sadistic ways & people enjoying it. Quick &
painless is my motto

I'm with you all the way on that.

Old July 11th 05, 06:58 PM
John Oliver

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:32:36 -0400, I'm bAck wIth my Fav4ite Midis wrote:
This may sound like a stupid question but why are gophers hated so much
that people will do anything including horrendous ways to try to kill
them.

I can't speak to gophers, but we used to kill all the ground squirrels
we could because they tunneled under the house and dug enormous
quantities of dirt out from under the foundation.

Plus, it's just plain fun to shoot the buggers with .22 hollowpoints.