HELP (long)

Old July 9th 05, 04:20 AM
Patty Jo

Default HELP (long)

I have a rescued 10 yr. old Golden Retriever. She's a well behaved &
very gentle dog. The thing is she's terrified of thunder & lightning.
The people where she lived before wouldn't let her in the house at all.
They put her on tranquilizers when it was stormy but, it really did no
good at all. Well, I have no problem letting her in. She just lays down
& sleeps. My problem now is...I can't get her to go outside AT ALL even
in perfect weather. The only time she willingly goes out is at feeding
time and then she wants to come right back in. There have been 3
occasions when she's gone into another room at night & pooped on the
floor. They had her debarked so if she tries to let me know she has to
go out, I'm not waking up. She has a nice covered deck right by my back
door. She'll lay right in front of the french door so as soon as it's
opened she can push her way in. This is becoming rediculous. Right now
it's thundering out & of course she's throwing herself against the door
or scratching at my screens to get inside. Oh yes, I can go out there &
let her in alright. But she'll be in all night until breakfast tomorrow
morning with no potty break! She's too heavy for me to pick up & bodily
put her outside. I don't care if she spends 90% of her time in the
house. I just want her to willingly go outside when I ask her to. Any
suggestions as to how I can turn this dog around? TIA Patty.

Old July 11th 05, 01:13 PM
Janet B

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 20:20:15 -0700, (Patty Jo),
wrote:

I have a rescued 10 yr. old Golden Retriever. She's a well behaved &
very gentle dog. The thing is she's terrified of thunder & lightning.
The people where she lived before wouldn't let her in the house at all.
They put her on tranquilizers when it was stormy but, it really did no
good at all. Well, I have no problem letting her in. She just lays down
& sleeps. My problem now is...I can't get her to go outside AT ALL even
in perfect weather. The only time she willingly goes out is at feeding
time and then she wants to come right back in. There have been 3
occasions when she's gone into another room at night & pooped on the
floor.

Don't allow her access to other rooms. Confine her to your bedroom
with you.

They had her debarked so if she tries to let me know she has to
go out, I'm not waking up. She has a nice covered deck right by my back
door. She'll lay right in front of the french door so as soon as it's
opened she can push her way in. This is becoming rediculous.

Why is it ridiculous? How long have you had her? Goldens want to be
with their people, plain and simple.

Right now
it's thundering out & of course she's throwing herself against the door
or scratching at my screens to get inside. Oh yes, I can go out there &
let her in alright.

OMG - what is wrong with you? The dog is panicked and you're making
her stay out in thunder?

But she'll be in all night until breakfast tomorrow
morning with no potty break!

Here's a hint - GO OUT THERE YOURSELF.

She's too heavy for me to pick up & bodily
put her outside.

Have you heard of a LEASH? Put one on her and ACCOMPANY her outside.

I don't care if she spends 90% of her time in the
house. I just want her to willingly go outside when I ask her to. Any
suggestions as to how I can turn this dog around? TIA Patty.

TAKE her out. Get off your cruel, lazy butt and spend time with her
outside so she stops thinking of it as somewhere to be "put".

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old July 11th 05, 02:23 PM
Janet Puistonen

Patty Jo wrote:
I have a rescued 10 yr. old Golden Retriever. She's a well behaved &
very gentle dog. The thing is she's terrified of thunder & lightning.
The people where she lived before wouldn't let her in the house at
all. They put her on tranquilizers when it was stormy but, it really
did no good at all.

You're kidding me: instead of letting her come in a shelter somewhere they
gave her tranquilizers? What kind of idiots were these people?

Well, I have no problem letting her in. She just
lays down & sleeps. My problem now is...I can't get her to go outside
AT ALL even in perfect weather. The only time she willingly goes out
is at feeding time and then she wants to come right back in.

If she's like most Goldens, she wants to be where YOU are. She needs to have
walks and play with YOU. At her age, if you just stick her outside, she'll
probably stand there looking in the window. (If she were younger she might
take off in search of something to do, which is obviously undesirable also.)

There
have been 3 occasions when she's gone into another room at night &
pooped on the floor.

Close the bedroom door at night. My rescue golden sleeps in the bedroom with
me and my older dog. If she could get out, she would probably do the same
thing, since her housetraining has been iffy. (As a matter of fact, she was
sneaking off and pooping in the house, despite being taken out regularly.
She's improving.) Just close the door. Don't let her roam around the house
unsupervised.

They had her debarked so if she tries to let me
know she has to go out, I'm not waking up.

Ye gods.

She has a nice covered
deck right by my back door. She'll lay right in front of the french
door so as soon as it's opened she can push her way in. This is
becoming rediculous. Right now it's thundering out & of course she's
throwing herself against the door or scratching at my screens to get
inside. Oh yes, I can go out there & let her in alright. But she'll
be in all night until breakfast tomorrow morning with no potty break!

I can't believe that you would torture a frightened dog this way. An adult
dog who has been taken out in the evening shouldn't have to go urgently
during the night unless she has a health issue. You need to TAKE her out to
relieve herself.

She's too heavy for me to pick up & bodily put her outside.

Take her out on a leash. Play with her. Take her for a walk. Take her to the
area where you've trained her to relieve herself and wait until she does it.
And then bring her back in.

I don't
care if she spends 90% of her time in the house. I just want her to
willingly go outside when I ask her to. Any suggestions as to how I
can turn this dog around? TIA Patty.

She doesn't want to go out because experience has taught her that she'll be
stuck out there and lonely. Go out WITH her. Play with her. Take her for
walks. Just sticking her outdoors is not exercising her, contributing to her
housetraining, or doing her any favor.

Old July 11th 05, 04:58 PM

on 2005-07-11 at 13:23 wrote:

Take her out on a leash. Play with her. Take her for a walk.
Take her to the area where you've trained her to relieve
herself and wait until she does it. And then bring her back
in.

exactly.

She doesn't want to go out because experience has taught her
that she'll be stuck out there and lonely. Go out WITH her.
Play with her. Take her for walks. Just sticking her outdoors
is not exercising her, contributing to her housetraining, or
doing her any favor.

i can't even imagine how mind numbingly bored that poor dog
must be, after ten years of being left outside as a lawn
ornament. aside from the issue of forcing a frightened dog to
stay outside during storms (i'm sorry, but that's cruel), dogs
are living beings with minds and bodies that need stimulation.
they need attention, exercise, and someone to actively care
about them. food, water, and a porch are *not* enough.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/ (updated 6/26/05)
Old July 11th 05, 05:27 PM
Janet B

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:58:52 -0500, shelly
, wrote:

food, water, and a porch are *not* enough.

and this is a GOLDEN we're talking about. A breed that lives to be in
it's owner's skin. What a sad state that a rescue dog of this age and
these fears was placed with someone so clueless and cruel. I sure
hope more rescue groups are doing a better job with placements.

Lucy (not a golden for anyone who doesn't know), wants us both in the
same place. Unless BOTH of us are outside, she has little interest in
being outside for any longer than she needs in order to eliminate.
Franklin prefers both of us outside, but one will do, and the company
of another dog is adequate, and he spends a bit more time out on his
own by choice, than Lucy.

I always wonder why some people feel dogs need to be outside without
them for extended periods of time. Let's not even mention leaving
them out in a freakin' storm that is scaring them. If I need dogs out
of the way of something I'm doing, they can be in a down or behind a
baby gate - "supervising" ;-D. I can't think of any reason why I
would need to banish them to outside without me, and no justification
whatsoever to leave them out in a storm. Barbaric.