For buglady: Re been to vet still baffled update..

Old July 9th 05, 04:58 PM
Andrea S

Default For buglady: Re been to vet still baffled update..

I am so not happy! When they took her in I was told she would have an
ultrasound that would show them the fluid in the uterus... they called and
said her uterus was fine but that they would do an x-ray...

I asked them to call me if the x-ray was clear because I didn't think
surgery was needed in that case... my vet told me it was unfair to keep her
under anaesthetic to call me, and that she would take out her womb
regardless which was fine we don't want puppies. Anyway I pick her up to
find she hasn't been spayed just opened up. They said her lymph glands are
swollen... she is now happy as larry and has responded to antibiotics...
meanwhile my bill is £550 for the privilege!

Old July 10th 05, 02:33 AM
Andrea S

"ZPL"wrote in message

May I ask why they chose not to spay as long as she was opened up anyway?

That's what I want to know! I was told they would tke her uterus but they
didn't. A spay op costs around £100 but I am faced with a £300 just for
opening taking a look and closing!

Old July 10th 05, 11:35 AM
buglady

"Andrea S" wrote in message
. uk...
I am so not happy! When they took her in I was told she would have an
ultrasound that would show them the fluid in the uterus... they called and
said her uterus was fine but that they would do an x-ray...

I asked them to call me if the x-ray was clear because I didn't think
surgery was needed in that case... my vet told me it was unfair to keep

her
under anaesthetic to call me, and that she would take out her womb
regardless which was fine we don't want puppies.

...........I'm a little confused. They anesthetized her to do an X-ray as if
they were going to do an operation? There's a difference between a bit of
sedation to take a film and knocking them out to do surgery. Or was the
object to do an X-ray then to do exploratory surgery?

Anyway I pick her up to
find she hasn't been spayed just opened up. They said her lymph glands are
swollen... she is now happy as larry and has responded to antibiotics...
meanwhile my bill is £550 for the privilege!

........Your vet is the only one who can explain this nonsense. Something is
not right. I don't understand any of it. I don't blame you for being a bit
upset. Did they give you a breakdown of the bill? Did they explain why
they did not spay the dog?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old July 10th 05, 01:08 PM
Andrea S

"buglady" wrote in message ...

..........I'm a little confused. They anesthetized her to do an X-ray as
if

they were going to do an operation? There's a difference between a bit of
sedation to take a film and knocking them out to do surgery. Or was the
object to do an X-ray then to do exploratory surgery?

I was told they couldn't call me as she was knocked out for an x-ray and
they were taking her womb even if the womb looked ok as they were 99% sure
it was her uterus... also they said I was being unfair to have them bring
her round after xray when they wanted to take her womb.. all I wanted ws one
phonecall.

They did take a look at her insides and send off a slide from her Lymph
glands... Cancer was mentioned as a possability but unlikley.

.......Your vet is the only one who can explain this nonsense. Something
is
not right. I don't understand any of it. I don't blame you for being a
bit
upset. Did they give you a breakdown of the bill? Did they explain why
they did not spay the dog?

No they didn't... I spoke to the practice manager and I am very angry... all
I got was, "The vet wouldn't open her up for nothing" and "Sometimes we
can't find what's wrong".

Old July 11th 05, 12:36 PM
buglady

"Andrea S" wrote in message
. uk...
"buglady" wrote in message ...

I don't blame you for being a
bit
upset. Did they give you a breakdown of the bill? Did they explain why
they did not spay the dog?

No they didn't... I spoke to the practice manager and I am very angry...

all
I got was, "The vet wouldn't open her up for nothing" and "Sometimes we
can't find what's wrong".

.............Forget the practice manager. You need a sit down with the vet.
Personally I'd be getting copies of all the notes, labs, etc. and finding a
new vet afterwards. I'm not arguing that sometimes it is difficult to find
out what 's going on, but once she was opened up, I don't understand why
they didn't spay her. Wouldn't have been any more traumatic. If this was
the impression you had, then there's a big communication problem.

.......I still wouldn't rule out tick disease, especially with swollen lymph
nodes - please keep this in mind.

Old July 26th 05, 04:52 PM
Linda E. Hungerford

"Andrea S" wrote:
snipped
No they didn't... I spoke to the practice manager and I am very angry... all
I got was, "The vet wouldn't open her up for nothing" and "Sometimes we
can't find what's wrong".

actually, some unscrupulous vets will do this, in my biased opinion. I
believe I have encountered one group, nearby, that will do this when
they are all but positive that the owner can well afford to pay the bill.

I no longer patronize this group.

And since I usually spend *at least* $100 when I walk into a veterinary
office, I consider this the best protest i can make.

And the emergency clinic that somewhat arbitrarily put down one of my
saints...I have never been back. It is their $1000 dollar loss (per
visit).

Linda H.