Downsize That Breed! Part 1

Old July 11th 05, 12:47 AM
ceb

Default Downsize That Breed! Part 1

dogsnus wrote in
:

New game if anyone wants to play, kind of opposite of Supersize Me.

If you were going to downsize from a German Shepherd Dog,
which breed would you choose that has the most characteristics
in common with the GSD in the area of personality?
If we take a look at the breed standard of a GSD we see
the following as desirable traits and ones I'm looking for
in your answers:

"fearless,but not hostile,self-confidence and a certain aloofness that
does not lend itself to immediate and indiscriminate friendships. The
dog must be approachable, quietly standing its ground and showing
confidence and willingness to meet overtures without itself making
them. It is poised, but when the occasion demands, eager and alert.Not
timid,not nervous,with an incorruptible character."

Everyone is welcome to play,(flames must be taken elsewhere or
start another thread for those please; otherwise I'll disqualify
ya by killfiling ya.)
If this gets boring, we can open it up a bit more but for now,
let's set some game rules.

1) Let's begin with making pointy or prick ears mandatory.
2) Coat length and color is immaterial.
4) Between 20#-50#, fully grown.

5) Likes people,especially children but doesn't have to adore
them, either.
6) First loyalty is to immediate family.
7) Not overly friendly towards other people outside
the immediate family but rather, more aloof while still
remaining friendly much in the same way as GSD is.

If you choose a breed to enter into the contest please state for which
of the above characteristics you chose your entry.
Winner gets an attaboy,(void in some states), sorry Tennesse!

Terri

Well, I'm no expert, and could definitely be wrong, but the dog I
thought of when reading your post is the Australian Cattle Dog. They
look smaller than GSDs, right? And they are smart, independent,
discriminating, and are all extra gorgeous with their sticky-uppy ears
and alert eyes. Of course they are a lot of dog!

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old July 11th 05, 01:14 AM
Tee

You might want to consider opening this up to where people state the breed
of their choice and then which down-sized breed they think would be most
similar rather than limiting the topic to GSD only with the rules you named.

--
Tara

Old July 11th 05, 02:49 AM

On 10 Jul 2005 23:22:41 GMT dogsnus whittled these words:

The most common "downsize" choice for the GSD is a Corgi. Personally
I'm partial to the Toller, although I'm not sure if they can "settle"
indoors the way a GSD can.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old July 11th 05, 03:36 AM
Rocky

dogsnus said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

If you choose a breed to enter into the contest please
state for which of the above characteristics you chose your
entry.

That's too much work. Let's go by *my* rules: I'll tell you
what you should get and then you killfile me.

1. Australian Cattle Dog. One of my most favourite dog breeds.
For you, you've got your prick ears, size, and loyalty to its
immediate handlers.

2. Corgi, because that's what supposed to be recommended as a
"mini-GSD". Though, personally, I only know about 10 Corgis,
and only one has the attitude and drive combination I like. Not
the breed for me (sorry Abby).

Get a Cattle Dog. And keep me informed, 'cause I'll be using
you as a test case.

Old July 11th 05, 03:41 AM
Rocky

ceb said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Well, I'm no expert, and could definitely be wrong, but the
dog I thought of when reading your post is the Australian
Cattle Dog.

Yes!

They look smaller than GSDs, right? And they
are smart, independent, discriminating, and are all extra
gorgeous with their sticky-uppy ears and alert eyes. Of
course they are a lot of dog!

They're probably too much dog for Terri. In my other post, I
forgot to recommend a Chia.

Old July 11th 05, 11:06 AM
Chris Jung

"Christy" wrote in message

"dogsnus" wrote in message
New game if anyone wants to play, kind of opposite of Supersize Me.

If you were going to downsize from a German Shepherd Dog,
which breed would you choose that has the most characteristics
in common with the GSD in the area of personality?

Corgi.

Christy

Don't lump the two Corgi breeds as one. They are quite different in
personality and background. The Pembroke decends from spitz stock (if they
are un-docked, their tails curl tightly over their backs) and has some of
that spitz (bouncy, barky) charactor. The Cardigan has no spitz in it and is
much more GSD like in temperament, outlook and even their facial features.
I've known some Cardigans and they are really nice dogs - intelligent,
serious & thoughtful.

Chris and her smoothies,
Pablo & Lucy

Old July 11th 05, 11:44 AM
Ruth

"Christy" wrote in message
news:dZjAe.5924$ao6.1704@trnddc05... Corgi.

More specifically, a Cardigan.

--
Ruth, Greta, Woody & Thelma

Old July 11th 05, 03:25 PM
ceb

"Christy" wrote in news:dZjAe.5924$ao6.1704
@trnddc05:

"dogsnus" wrote in message
New game if anyone wants to play, kind of opposite of Supersize Me.

If you were going to downsize from a German Shepherd Dog,
which breed would you choose that has the most characteristics
in common with the GSD in the area of personality?

Corgi.

Ooooo, that's a good one too!

Old July 11th 05, 06:11 PM
Christy

"Chris Jung" wrote in message

Don't lump the two Corgi breeds as one.

Will too!!

They are quite different in
personality and background.

Oh fine.

The Pembroke decends from spitz stock (if they
are un-docked, their tails curl tightly over their backs) and has some of
that spitz (bouncy, barky) charactor. The Cardigan has no spitz in it and

is
much more GSD like in temperament, outlook and even their facial features.
I've known some Cardigans and they are really nice dogs - intelligent,
serious & thoughtful.

Yeah, Cardigan Corgi. That's what I meant, really. Can't you all read my
mind??

Christy