Dog eating foxweed - Cause? and how do you stop it?

Old July 10th 05, 11:46 PM
Bluto

Default Dog eating foxweed - Cause? and how do you stop it?

Hello all,

Our Beagle / Bluetick mix seems to have taken a liking to foxweed. Once he
gets some down he starts coughing, puking and trying to soothe the itch or
pain by eating every loose thing in the yard. We live in NM with a walled in
gravel back yard which I keep very clean. I do the best I can to pick the
weeds as soon as I see them, but they sometimes pop up overnight. The first
time this happened was about 2 weeks ago. I eventually had to take him to
the vet where they put him under and pulled the stickers out of his throat
followed by a shot of steroid.

Does anyone know what causes a dog to want to eat this stuff? Could there be
something missing in his diet? He is an otherwise healthy 9 year old. The
only solution I can think of would be to muzzle him when he goes out. The
problem with that is that he wouldn't be able to spend much time out there
since he couldn't drink water with a muzzle on. I am stumped as to what to
do about this.

--
Bluto

Old July 11th 05, 10:28 PM
ztk

"Bluto" wrote in message
Hello all,

Our Beagle / Bluetick mix seems to have taken a liking to

foxweed. Once he

.....snip......

Does anyone know what causes a dog to want to eat this stuff?

English is my second language and I don't know what foxweed is.
Couldn't find a definition with Google or online dictionaries and
encyclopedias either. I'm not a vet but I'd consider the
possibility that your dog may need a vitamin supplement.

Some time ago my dog started eating grass and at about the same
time developed a small patch of what looked like demodectic mange
on his front leg. I applied a herbal cream that had worked very
well before, but it wouldn't heal and turned into an ulcer that
grew to an inch across and kept increasing in size. Then I
started giving him a multivitamin syrup and the ulcer showed
signs of healing within a very few days. It's now almost
completely gone after two weeks although the dog is weakened by
cancer (story in another thread and in alt.pets.dogs). I've also
known of other cases similar to this.