Eye Sight

Old July 11th 05, 07:47 PM
Suja

Default Eye Sight

I have sort of a general question about dogs' eye sight. I suspect that
Pan is near sighted. She doesn't see a lot of things that are obvious
to everydog else, such as the bunny or groundhog that is sitting in the
middle of the lawn, and goes on alert when people she knows intimately
"change" by putting on hats, or glasses, or sit down, for example.
She'll watch while dad or my neighbor walk up to the mailbox to get the
mail, and will start barking once they start coming closer. Once we
call out to her, she stops, comes over and sniffs, and is totally okay
after that. While she's always been a bit of a doofus, this behavior is
new. She doesn't run into things or have trouble navigating herself
around the house, going up and down stairs, etc.

What are the possible reasons for vision loss in a dog her age? She's a
4 1/2 year old Dane. Do dogs get hyperopic/myopic as they age? I'm
making a vet appointment to have it checked out, but how do they figure
out whether a dog's vision is okay? It's not like they can read charts
or something.

Suja
Old July 11th 05, 08:23 PM
buglady

"Suja" wrote in message
What are the possible reasons for vision loss in a dog her age? She's a
4 1/2 year old Dane. Do dogs get hyperopic/myopic as they age? I'm
making a vet appointment to have it checked out, but how do they figure
out whether a dog's vision is okay? It's not like they can read charts
or something.

........haven't the foggiest idea of how they tell. Don't know if dogs are
alive long enough to get age related vision problems other than cataracts.
I would imagine the physical aspect of the eye would tell them a lot. Ask
your vet to verbally walk you through his examination. Very few vets
actually tell you what they're finding while they're looking, even in a
general exam. I've only run across one and always found it useful.

......wonder if it's not vision but translation from what the dog is seeing
into something recognizable.

.......have you checked any of the doggy eye dr. sites? I know that dogs can
see many times better than we can, especially at night because they have
more rods than we do, but that's about it.

buglady
take out the dog before replying