Self closing fence gate spring

Old July 12th 05, 03:27 PM
Perry Templeton

Default Self closing fence gate spring

My little ponderosa...I am building a gate to inhibit dog access to the back
door of my shop. I am looking for a strong spring, reliable, that will
close
the gate, should my absent minded husband forget to actually close it...(he
will) (he was a blonde with large breasts in another life).The gate will
probably be about 3 or 3.5 feet high and most likely will be chain link
fence, so
at least the dogs can see through it. (they are small, so height is not a
big issue, a Boston and a little mixed terrier, and my 13yo Rat..she's
getting stiff and doesn't jump too much anymore)
Perry

Old July 12th 05, 05:24 PM
Janet Puistonen

Perry Templeton wrote:
My little ponderosa...I am building a gate to inhibit dog access to
the back door of my shop. I am looking for a strong spring,
reliable, that will close
the gate, should my absent minded husband forget to actually close
it...(he will) (he was a blonde with large breasts in another
life).The gate will probably be about 3 or 3.5 feet high and most
likely will be chain link fence, so
at least the dogs can see through it. (they are small, so height is
not a big issue, a Boston and a little mixed terrier, and my 13yo
Rat..she's getting stiff and doesn't jump too much anymore)
Perry

I just bought a set of hinges made by Stanley (instended for screen doors)
that contain a spring that closes the door. Don't know if that will work for
you, but you can take a look.

Old July 12th 05, 07:59 PM
montana wildhack

On 2005-07-12 10:27:21 -0400, "Perry Templeton" said:

My little ponderosa...I am building a gate to inhibit dog access to the back
door of my shop. I am looking for a strong spring, reliable, that will close
the gate, should my absent minded husband forget to actually close it...(he
will) (he was a blonde with large breasts in another life).The gate will
probably be about 3 or 3.5 feet high and most likely will be chain link
fence, so
at least the dogs can see through it. (they are small, so height is not
a big issue, a Boston and a little mixed terrier, and my 13yo
Rat..she's getting stiff and doesn't jump too much anymore)
Perry

Perry-

Look up Williamsburg gate closers. I'm sure you could make one rather easily...

Old July 12th 05, 08:07 PM

Perry Templeton wrote:
My little ponderosa...I am building a gate to inhibit dog access to the back
door of my shop. I am looking for a strong spring, reliable, that will
close
the gate, should my absent minded husband forget to actually close it...(he
will)

Stuff like http://www.hooverfence.com/woodfence/gatespring.htm
is available all over the place - you'd probably be able to
find them at Home Depot or Lowe's, too. There are also
hydraulic closers.

Old July 13th 05, 03:19 PM
FurPaw

Melinda Shore wrote:
In article ,
Perry Templeton wrote:

My little ponderosa...I am building a gate to inhibit dog access to the back
door of my shop. I am looking for a strong spring, reliable, that will
close
the gate, should my absent minded husband forget to actually close it...(he
will)

Stuff like http://www.hooverfence.com/woodfence/gatespring.htm
is available all over the place - you'd probably be able to
find them at Home Depot or Lowe's, too. There are also
hydraulic closers.

To attach a closer like this to the chain-link fence, you can use a
piece of wood or metal (larger than the holes in the fence) with
holes drilled to match the holes in the closer, and bolt the closer
to the block through the fence. Not pretty, but effective. Got two
like this in my yard.

FurPaw

--
"Don't believe everthing that you think."
- Seen on a bumper sticker

To reply, unleash the dog