screaming dog

Old July 12th 05, 05:18 PM
Jo Pennington

Default screaming dog

I have been lurking for a while, and have seen that many of you have good
suggestions for behavior problems.
Well, here is one...

I have several dogs, including a Belgian Tervuren. He is a sweet dog, very
intelligent and trainable, except that when I pay attention to one of the
other dogs he screams!

Example: The dogs ( Standard poodles (2), border collie (1) and Justice,
the Terv.) have crates on a sun porch. If I let one of the other dogs out to
go to the back yard or to train, Justice has a fit and shrieks. It is the
equivalent of running your fingers across a blackboard.

What I have tried: (1) Praising silence..."Good Justice! Good hush!" This
only works temporarily...the next time he screams again. (2) "Hush,
Justice!" Squirt bottle with vinegar water in the face (my trainer suggested
this). Justice ends up smelling like a salad. Next time he screams again.
(3) Bark collar. Yelps and screams.

I understand now why his sire was debarked, but I think debarking is
definitely a last resort.

Any ideas?

Jo Pennington

Old July 12th 05, 05:22 PM
Janet B

On 12 Jul 2005 16:18:48 GMT, "Jo Pennington" ,
wrote:

I have several dogs, including a Belgian Tervuren. He is a sweet dog, very
intelligent and trainable, except that when I pay attention to one of the
other dogs he screams!

Example: The dogs ( Standard poodles (2), border collie (1) and Justice,
the Terv.) have crates on a sun porch. If I let one of the other dogs out to
go to the back yard or to train, Justice has a fit and shrieks. It is the
equivalent of running your fingers across a blackboard.

put a visual barrier in front of him. work the other dog right in
front of his crate to accustom him to that activity. does he continue
to bark through the bark collar, or do you give in immediately?

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old July 12th 05, 05:24 PM

on 2005-07-12 at 16:18 wrote:

Any ideas?

my first approach would be to ignore the screaming completely
and not interact with him in any way whatsoever until it
stops.

you have my sympathies. there is nothing, and i mean
*nothing* that would drive me crazy faster than a shrieking
dog. i can handle a lot of things, but i'm afraid that--if i
were unable to solve the problem--shrieking be a deal breaker.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/ (updated 7/10/05)
Old July 12th 05, 06:52 PM
Jo Pennington

wrote:

I have several dogs, including a Belgian Tervuren. He is a sweet dog, very
intelligent and trainable, except that when I pay attention to one of the
other dogs he screams!

Example: The dogs ( Standard poodles (2), border collie (1) and Justice,
the Terv.) have crates on a sun porch. If I let one of the other dogs out
go to the back yard or to train, Justice has a fit and shrieks. It is the
equivalent of running your fingers across a blackboard.

put a visual barrier in front of him. work the other dog right in
front of his crate to accustom him to that activity. does he continue
to bark through the bark collar, or do you give in immediately?

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bestfr...bedience/album

He screams, yelps, and then screams again.

Old July 12th 05, 06:57 PM
Jo Pennington

"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...
on 2005-07-12 at 16:18 wrote:

Any ideas?

my first approach would be to ignore the screaming completely
and not interact with him in any way whatsoever until it
stops.

you have my sympathies. there is nothing, and i mean
*nothing* that would drive me crazy faster than a shrieking
dog. i can handle a lot of things, but i'm afraid that--if i
were unable to solve the problem--shrieking be a deal breaker.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/ (updated 7/10/05)

I have tried to ignore it, but he continued the behavior. My nerves wear
out before Justice wears out.

Old July 12th 05, 07:01 PM

on 2005-07-12 at 17:57 wrote:

I have tried to ignore it, but he continued the behavior.
My nerves wear out before Justice wears out.

earplugs. seriously. every time you give in and give him
attention or let him out of the crate, you reinforce his
shrieking. it's not going to be an easy thing to break him
of, no matter how you go about it, because it's been so
successful for him in the past.

Old July 12th 05, 07:06 PM
Jo Pennington

wrote:

I have several dogs, including a Belgian Tervuren. He is a sweet dog, very
intelligent and trainable, except that when I pay attention to one of the
other dogs he screams!

Example: The dogs ( Standard poodles (2), border collie (1) and Justice,
the Terv.) have crates on a sun porch. If I let one of the other dogs out
go to the back yard or to train, Justice has a fit and shrieks. It is the
equivalent of running your fingers across a blackboard.

put a visual barrier in front of him. work the other dog right in
front of his crate to accustom him to that activity. does he continue
to bark through the bark collar, or do you give in immediately?

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bestfr...bedience/album

Sorry, a bit distracted.

He barked (shrieked) through the bark collar. It was rented, so I decided
after three days without any change in his behavior, that I might as well
return the thing.

This behavior has been going on for almost a year. He does quit after a few
(maybe 5) minutes of activity, but the next time something starts to happen
he goes through the screaming routine all over again. Ex.: I groom the
poodles in the sun room where the crates are located. Justice does quit
after a few minutes. I can crate the groomed dog, leave, return to let a dog
out, and the whole screaming thing starts over.

Old July 12th 05, 07:18 PM
Jo Pennington

"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...
on 2005-07-12 at 17:57 wrote:

I have tried to ignore it, but he continued the behavior.
My nerves wear out before Justice wears out.

earplugs. seriously. every time you give in and give him
attention or let him out of the crate, you reinforce his
shrieking. it's not going to be an easy thing to break him
of, no matter how you go about it, because it's been so
successful for him in the past.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/ (updated 7/10/05)

Earplugs might be the solution. They might make family life more peaceful,
as well. :-)

Old July 12th 05, 07:24 PM

on 2005-07-12 at 18:18 wrote:

Earplugs might be the solution. They might make family life
more peaceful, as well. :-)

well, there ya' go, problem solved!

Old July 12th 05, 08:06 PM
Chris Jung

"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...
on 2005-07-12 at 17:57 wrote:

I have tried to ignore it, but he continued the behavior.
My nerves wear out before Justice wears out.

earplugs. seriously. every time you give in and give him
attention or let him out of the crate, you reinforce his
shrieking. it's not going to be an easy thing to break him
of, no matter how you go about it, because it's been so
successful for him in the past.

Hi Jo,
I lost your original post. Wow, I thought Lucy was a pain in the
behindermost bits when I worked with Pablo but your Justice has her beat.
While she used to have hissy fits, at least she didn't shriek. When we
first got Lucy, she would bark (an annoying high pitched bark) but after a
bit of work she stopped barking and instead moaned, whined and wa-wa'ed
(sounds like a soft siren). The tactics I've used, depending on the
situation, have been: rewarding silence, turning away when she makes noise
and ignoring her. She has gotten much better lately (I think she's
mellowing out on us) but, unfortunately, I and several other people have
laughed at her wa-wa performance -especially when she dramatically throws
herself into a sit (with a "humpf!"), closes her eyes, points her nose and
softly sings: "wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa waaa wa." I
suspect you'll never do that - accidentally encouraging Justice's
performance by laughing. How old is Justice? Some young Tervs are total
boneheads until you get their brains in the mail (can't remember if that's
when they are two or three). I remember one lady with a couple of Terv
hellions told me that they calm down about 6 weeks before they die but it's
a really great 6 weeks.

Chris and her smooth collies,
Pablo and Lucy singing the
"I'm-horribly-mistreated-and-everyone-hates-me-cuz-I'm-beautiful-and-I-don't-get-enough-treats-and-Pablo-is-sleeping-in-my-cushy-bean-bag-bed"
blues.