Damn those little buggers

Old July 13th 05, 03:02 PM
Janet Puistonen

Suja wrote:
I swear, the mood I'm in now, Bambi better stay the hell out of my
way. I had posted in .health about my concern about Pan's vision. Anyway,
took her in to the vet yesterday, and apparently her eye
structure is not the greatest, but what's happening with her doesn't
seem entirely consistant with eye disease. We'll be visiting an
ophthalmologist if it gets worse.

Now, the vet suggested that her Thyroid and Lyme status be checked
before we do anything else, since either could have neurological
effects. Since she was due for her HW test anyway, we ran a Tick
panel as well. Strongly positive for Lyme, despite being on
preventatives, and being checked over by me after all our hikes. She
starts her Doxi course today, just in time for us to be going away.

I am seriously considering foregoing all future tests, and just having
everyone, two and four legged, on Doxi once or twice a year.

Suja

The Lyme ticks are so very tiny that I'd be surprised if you could find one
on any dog. They are hardly visible even when engorged.

Old July 13th 05, 03:09 PM
ceb

Suja wrote in news:949Be.55804$iU.22303@lakeread05:

Now, the vet suggested that her Thyroid and Lyme status be checked
before we do anything else, since either could have neurological
effects. Since she was due for her HW test anyway, we ran a Tick panel
as well. Strongly positive for Lyme, despite being on preventatives,
and being checked over by me after all our hikes. She starts her Doxi
course today, just in time for us to be going away.

Oh no! I'm glad you caught it, of course, but what a drag!

Was it Pan who had it before or was that Khan (I think I remember one of
yours having it before)?

I think ticks are proof of the existence of evil in the world.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old July 13th 05, 03:22 PM

on 2005-07-13 at 10:07 wrote:

Now, the vet suggested that her Thyroid and Lyme status be
checked before we do anything else, since either could have
neurological effects.

good for him!

Since she was due for her HW test anyway, we ran a Tick panel
as well. Strongly positive for Lyme, despite being on
preventatives, and being checked over by me after all our
hikes. She starts her Doxi course today, just in time for us
to be going away.

yeowch! could Lyme explain her wonky vision?

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/ (updated 7/10/05)
Old July 13th 05, 03:58 PM
Suja

ceb wrote:

Oh no! I'm glad you caught it, of course, but what a drag!

If there is anything good about this, it is that we may have caught it
early.

Was it Pan who had it before or was that Khan (I think I remember one of
yours having it before)?

That was Khan. His tick panel came back negative last time, thank goodness.

I think ticks are proof of the existence of evil in the world.

I am considering thinking up new ways to torture them to death. I am at
a loss for what to do in terms of preventing this in the future, however.

Suja
Old July 13th 05, 04:05 PM
Suja

shelly wrote:

good for him!

Her. I wasn't altogether pleased with her though, because I swear she
was scared of Pan, because she let out a bark when the doc entered the
room and startled her. I don't think she believed me when I said that
she doesn't ordinarily do that, and the vet tech had to chime in that
she had seen us before, and she is in fact a 'fraidy cat. In the
meantime, Pan was busy shaking like a leaf, and trying to climb up on
the chair that I was sitting on to hide behind me. On top of that, she
said that Pan might need to lose weight, and in the meantime, I have
people (with skinny, fit dogs) tell me that she might be too skinny
because her ribs are visible.

yeowch! could Lyme explain her wonky vision?

It is possible. We'll just have to see if it continues to get worse or
not. I am just a little extra concerned about it because we'll be
kenneling her, and certain antibiotics can make dogs more heat sensitive.

Suja
Old July 13th 05, 04:20 PM

on 2005-07-13 at 11:05 wrote:

Her.

shame on me!

I wasn't altogether pleased with her though, because I swear
she was scared of Pan, because she let out a bark when the
doc entered the room and startled her.

now that's just silly.

I don't think she believed me when I said that she doesn't
ordinarily do that, and the vet tech had to chime in that she
had seen us before, and she is in fact a 'fraidy cat. In the
meantime, Pan was busy shaking like a leaf, and trying to
climb up on the chair that I was sitting on to hide behind
me.

oh good heavens. yeah, that would make me a little cranky.
i've had vets and techs ask if my dogs are friendly (do people
commonly not inform vets when their dogs *aren't* friendly?),
but i've never had them act afraid of either of them.

On top of that, she said that Pan might need to lose weight,
and in the meantime, I have people (with skinny, fit dogs)
tell me that she might be too skinny because her ribs are
visible.

that's a change! maybe Pan was so scrunched up that she
looked tubby? harriet has a little sagginess from her spay
scar that makes her look flabby when she sits in certain
positions. still, a vet ought to be aware of that sort of
thing.

It is possible. We'll just have to see if it continues to
get worse or not. I am just a little extra concerned about
it because we'll be kenneling her, and certain antibiotics
can make dogs more heat sensitive.

yes, that'd be something i'd worry about (well, i do anyway,
because of having a brachycephalic dog). hopefully it'll be
cool while you're gone. does the kennel have overnight
staffing? at the very least, i'd talk to them ahead of time
about your concerns and make sure that, should it get hot,
they'll keep her in a cool place.

Old July 13th 05, 04:21 PM

on 2005-07-13 at 14:09 wrote:

I think ticks are proof of the existence of evil in the
world.

i'm convinced that the debbil, if he exists, is a giant tick.

Old July 13th 05, 04:28 PM
ceb

Suja wrote in

Was it Pan who had it before or was that Khan (I think I remember one
of yours having it before)?

That was Khan. His tick panel came back negative last time, thank
goodness.

That *is* good!

I think ticks are proof of the existence of evil in the world.

I am considering thinking up new ways to torture them to death. I am
at a loss for what to do in terms of preventing this in the future,
however.

I think it's possible that the life of a tick is torture enough. But I
certainly understand how you feel!

I don't know how to prevent it either -- is there a lyme vaccine yet?

Old July 13th 05, 04:34 PM
ceb

shelly wrote in
arble.net:

on 2005-07-13 at 14:09 wrote:

I think ticks are proof of the existence of evil in the
world.

i'm convinced that the debbil, if he exists, is a giant tick.

I agree -- it doesn't get much more evil than that!