Collateral damage/bark collar

Old July 14th 05, 03:45 PM
Perry Templeton

Default Collateral damage/bark collar

One of my dogs is a barker. Her bark is high pitched, persistent and just
in general annoying. We have done all the techniques we can to try to
lessen the intensity and length of barking.
Out of the three dogs, two of them just alert bark, a couple of woofs and
they're done. This one, just goes on and on...it's as if she feeds on her
own barking.

We are on a corner, where there is plenty of traffic, pedestrians...I am
self employed at home, so a few comings and goings during the day.
I really like the alert barks..but like I say, she's over the top as to what
is acceptable.
I've considered having her debarked..but my vet is hesitant, she says to try
the collar first.

My question is: When there is something that catches the dogs attention,
they all three congregate. If the "barker" has the collar and barks to
trigger the collar, won't it bother the dogs near her? What training signal
will it be sending them, as they are not problem barkers?

Perry

Old July 14th 05, 05:42 PM
ceb

"Perry Templeton" wrote in
:

One of my dogs is a barker. Her bark is high pitched, persistent and
just in general annoying. We have done all the techniques we can to
try to lessen the intensity and length of barking.
Out of the three dogs, two of them just alert bark, a couple of woofs
and they're done. This one, just goes on and on...it's as if she
feeds on her own barking.

Queenie is like this -- no one ever taught her how to calm herself down
before. So what I do is get her to sit, and then I rub under her chin in
that way dogs like (for Zoe I would use this or belly rubs). She gets
more petting after the "provocation" is gone. She is now at the point
where sometimes when she gets wound up she will come to me to get loves,
which of course cuts down on the barking and which I think shows
excellent emotional maturity.

You might think that this would reinforce the barking, but it really
doesn't seem to. I really think that she gets progressively more wound up
as she continues barking and that on some level it is unpleasant for her.
I'm not squelching her enthusiasm, which I love, just teaching her how to
come back to earth after an exciting episode.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old July 14th 05, 06:10 PM
Perry Templeton

Here's the rub..it's hard to call just *one* dog for a correction or
treat...they're all terriers, they're all high energy.
I have tried diversions, treats, acknowledging...("thank you very much for
warning me that the garbage men are relentlessly taking our stuff") But
then I get three dogs..

I am thinking this barking is an extinction burst, maybe. She was sick last
week, vet said just a puky virus..and she didn't feel well for a couple of
days, maybe in my sympathy I backslid on her discipline. Also, my husband
is absolutely no help for curbing behaviors. Maybe I should get a collar
for him, and set it on max.
Perry
"ceb" wrote in message
"Perry Templeton" wrote in
:

Old July 14th 05, 07:24 PM
Perry Templeton

It's Tinker who is the barker. I wish all the dogs were as well behaved as
Lucee.
It's difficult with three. In this case, the can full of coins will
probably be the first line I'll try. I had forgotten about that.
Perry
"diddy" wrote in message
in thread : "Perry
Templeton" whittled the following words:
I am thinking this barking is an extinction burst, maybe. She was
sick last week, vet said just a puky virus..and she didn't feel well
for a couple of days, maybe in my sympathy I backslid on her
discipline. Also, my husband is absolutely no help for curbing
behaviors. Maybe I should get a collar for him, and set it on max.
Perry

I'll loan you an e-collar for your husband. tell him this is from diddy
*ZAP*
Sorry about the pukey virus.
And yes, it may be an extinction burst.

Teach her that the garbage person that she thinks she's protecting you
from is actually a friend and that good things happen to her when these
people are around. You might ask for their help. [Most garbage people
would
love to break dogs barking at them]. Have him walk by your yard, starting
far enough away so that Lucee (I'm assuming it's Lucee) isn't barking,
then
reward her for quiet behavior as she obeys a "sit" or "down" command. Use
very special food reward such as little pieces of cheese or meat. As the
person gradually comes closer, continue to reward her quiet behavior. It
may take several sessions before the person can come close without her
barking. When the person can come very close without her, have them feed
her a treat or throw a toy for her.

Dogs that bark at percieved intruders on the street naturally have their
barking reinforced. They see the garbage person, they bark, and the
garbageman leaves. The dog thinks, "Boy, I'm good. My barking made that
person leave." In modifying the dog's behavior, you need to overcome this
reinforcement.

Sometimes, by just preventing the dog from seeing the intruding garbage
person, you solve the problem. Often, however, there is more work to do.
First make sure you are not rewarding the dog for any type of barking. If
the she barks when she wants to eat, and you feed her, you are rewarding
barking. If you try to ignore the barking, but eventually cave-in and give
attention, she learns that short barks will not do the trick, but
excessive
and extended barking will.

After she has alerted you to an "intruder," you need a way to signal the
dog after one or two barks that she was a good dog for warning you [I use
"Thank you"], signalling that now you can take it from there. Often the
command "Enough" will accomplish that goal. [I use "shut up".. but not
probably something you want to be yelling in an urban environment G]

Do not reinforce barking by giving verbal or physical reassurance to her
while barking.

Ok now, when she is barking, after one or two barks (set this up so Lep
knocks at the door, or your daughter) Bark 2-3 times, use "enough" or
"shut up" then distract her, and ask her do something that makes her
consciously control herself. Like sitting. Or Down. It's more difficult
for
a dog to bark when doing a conflicting exercise. This will distract her,
then priase. Then treat her for being quiet. Or you can startle her by
using the old Coins in an empty soda can trick, and praise for quiet.

Old July 14th 05, 09:35 PM
Spot

Since you are home why not get an ecollar that you completely control. I
bought one of these and used it to train Lady for the quiet command. She
would go outside and flip out barking at absolutely nothing and there was no
shutting her up. The one I bought has a tone button and a stimulation
button with 10 levels from 1 to 10.

Some people absolutely hate these things and in my situation it was either
get her under control or send her back to the farm. It was the best 90.00 I
have ever spent.

It took less than 3 days to get through to her that quiet meant to stop
barking. I give her the command QUIET and would tone her and she'd hesitate
a second then back into it. I would then repeat QUIET and tone her again I
repeated this 3 times before I started using the stimulation. It took a
level 4 to get her to stop and in less than 3 days she was over it. She now
knows what QUIET means and I also used it in training her to stop chasing
rabbits. She still chases them out of the yard but knows that she doesn't
run around the end of the fencing at the bottom of the drive way after them.

Celeste

.. .