GSD people

Old July 18th 05, 01:09 AM
Paula

Default GSD people

I know a lot of you out there have GSDs or have had them in the past.
I realized as I was walking past a bunch of really cool looking dogs
with GSD rescue on my way past the Petco today that my feelings about
GSDs aren't very fair. I tend to have a low opinion of the breed
because the nightmare experience it was to grow up with one next door.
As an adult, I can see where that dog was not really to blame as her
owners were horrible to her. Who knows what her breeding was and her
environment was stuck in the dog run all of the time with no
interaction except when she escaped and got into our yard, at which
point she would try to chase us off our own property, probably because
our property was on the other side of her dog run fence and she
thought it was hers. So I think of barking dogs lunging at chain link
and loose dogs chasing me back into the house in terror. But these
dogs are really cool looking and acting dogs. So what are GSDs really
like and why is it that some of you have become addicted to them?

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy, so it's best to try to get along with them." Joe Bay
Old July 18th 05, 01:28 AM
Trish

"Paula" wrote in message
[...]

I had a GSD when I was a child "Brownie". She was the kindest and gentlest
dog ever. She'd stoop down so I could climb on her back and carry me to
school where she'd wait for me and then carry me home. I loved her so much.
I was really young when she died (maybe 6) but I've never forgotten her, I
still miss her now. My experience with her is that she was very faithful
and loved people and highly intelligent, she was very well trained but also
protected us. Once our kitchen stove exploded and we were asleep, she woke
everyone up, Dad was a firefighter and he stayed inside to fight the fire, I
was his little girl so I wouldn't leave without him, Brownie stayed inside
as well totally on guard.

Our neighbours had a GSD as well but he was trained to attack, it wasn't
nice living next door to them.

Old July 18th 05, 01:29 AM
It's Only Alimentary, Dear Watson

BWEEEEEEEEEEAAAHAHAHHAHAA!!!

Old July 18th 05, 04:13 AM
Kepytan

"Paula" wrote in message
So what are GSDs really
like and why is it that some of you have become addicted to them?

my husband grew up with a GSD, Jessie. She was a sweet girl, elderly by the
time I met her. When my daughter was born, Jessie appointed herself
official baby watcher. Even the slightest whimper was enough to warrent
investigation. When my husband was growing up, she was a huge worry wart.
They live on a lake and she hated to see the kids diving in the water, often
needing to be barred from the dock because of her repeated attempts to save
them.

We now have our own GSD, Rayden. He is working as my service dog as well
as his "day job" of #1 babysitter, baby chick protecter, and all-around
mama's boy. He has never met a child he didnt like, which is a good thing
for any dog out in public.
One example: we were going to a friend's son's little league game. As we
were skirting one of the other ball fields a little girl, maybe 7 yrs old,
stepped out in front of him. Before I could even react, she had grabbed
each side of his ruff, shaking his head back and forth excitedly, saying
"what a cute doggie!" All this with her face right at the end of his nose.
Rayden didnt even bat an eye, just happy to have made a new friend.
He is a bit more reserved around adults, not seeking out attention, but he
has never met a kid he didnt like.

dainerra

Old July 18th 05, 04:36 AM
Michael A. Ball

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:09:37 GMT, Paula
wrote:

... But these
dogs are really cool looking and acting dogs. So what are GSDs really
like and why is it that some of you have become addicted to them?

I hope you can conquer your fear. GSD, like all other breeds, are only
what we make--or fail to make--of them. Their basic characteristics
include bravery, loyalty, physical strength, dignity and {perhaps too
much} eagerness to please their guardian. Those are some of the things
they bring, for their guardian to begin working with. In addition to
those qualities, and by your own admission, they are also beautiful
("really cool looking").

When I die, I want to go where dogs go!
Old July 18th 05, 06:35 PM

GSDs are one of those breeds that inspire great devotion in their
people
because the dogs themselves show such great devotion to their people.
Selectively bred to work in partnership with humans, the combination of
their
capability, work ethic, and willingness can be a life-changing
experience.
There's a lot of bad GSDs out there, but that doesn't change the fact
that
there's nothing quite as grand as living with a really good GSD. They
can have
an honesty, judgement, and nobility that makes their owners better
people.

Old July 19th 05, 06:17 AM
FurPaw

Paula wrote:
So what are GSDs really
like and why is it that some of you have become addicted to them?

I've had one, Dylan. Where to begin? She had a mind of her own,
was smart, loyal, demanding, funny. She adored kids and put up with
a lot of their pulling and tugging. She was very gentle with our
Chihuahuas and let them chase her. She roughhoused with our Lab
until both were exhausted. She was an alpha, and it took a couple
of years of training to persuade her that she wasn't going to push
me aside - but with maturity she became a wonderful companion.

--
"Don't believe everything that you think."
- Seen on a bumper sticker

To reply, unleash the dog