In-Board Training

Old July 19th 05, 07:25 PM

Default In-Board Training

From: "drewkbell" - Find messages by this author

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:03:20 -0700
Subject: In-Boarding Training
original | Remove | Report Abuse

I know that there are many ways to train a dog. With that comes many
different opinions about what is the 'right' and 'wrong' way to
accomplish obedience training. With that, I have a few questions
regarding in-boarding training. I would like to hear good and bad
experiences with this.

1 - Does it work with a normal family member type dog? I see this
working well with bomb dogs, drug dogs, etc... But, would it be
suitable to have your dog trained professionaly by using this method?

2 - I know that you will miss 'bonding' time with your pet during this
time, will the dog benefit from the training or go back to the way he
was as soon as he gets back to home. The particular school we were
thinking off spends a couple of weeks with the dog, then you go do
training sessions with the dog so that you, the owner, can be trained
(which my family needs just as much as the dog)

I really just want other peoples opinion on the matter (good and bad).
If you have taken your dog to this type of school, let me know what you

thought. If you are a trainer against this, let me hear your opinion.
I look forward to hearing everyone's advice/opinion on the subject.

Old July 19th 05, 07:47 PM
Janet B

On 19 Jul 2005 11:25:32 -0700, , clicked their
heels and said:

1 - Does it work with a normal family member type dog? I see this
working well with bomb dogs, drug dogs, etc... But, would it be
suitable to have your dog trained professionaly by using this method?

MY dog? no. I don't turn my dogs over to anyone. Yes, it's suitable
for many dogs, as long as the owner understands that the B&T is to lay
a good foundation - the owner will still have to do work and learn how
to handle the dog.

2 - I know that you will miss 'bonding' time with your pet during this
time, will the dog benefit from the training or go back to the way he
was as soon as he gets back to home. The particular school we were
thinking off spends a couple of weeks with the dog, then you go do
training sessions with the dog so that you, the owner, can be trained
(which my family needs just as much as the dog)

You understand the importance of the family needing training - good
for you. If you can't put enough time into training on your own, B&T
followed by work with you, is an alternative, but I honestly avoid it
as much as possible.

I really just want other peoples opinion on the matter (good and bad).
If you have taken your dog to this type of school, let me know what you

thought. If you are a trainer against this, let me hear your opinion.
I look forward to hearing everyone's advice/opinion on the subject.

So much of dog training is the relationship with the owner. You can't
subsitute or transfer that. While B&T may get some problem behaviors
under control, it really won't transfer if the owner's heart isn't in
it. Consistency is really important, and I find that most of the
people I know who send their dog to B&T, just don't follow through.
If you are up to the task, you might want to consider why B&T, and why
not private training with you, or a group class.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old July 19th 05, 07:47 PM
KWBrown

wrote in news:1121797532.857944.307170
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

I know that there are many ways to train a dog. With that comes many
different opinions about what is the 'right' and 'wrong' way to
accomplish obedience training. With that, I have a few questions
regarding in-boarding training. I would like to hear good and bad
experiences with this.

1 - Does it work with a normal family member type dog? I see this
working well with bomb dogs, drug dogs, etc... But, would it be
suitable to have your dog trained professionaly by using this method?

It's huge overkill for the normal family member type dog. A friend of
mine boards retrievers for training: She is teaching advanced concepts
to dogs whose owners can't take them out twice a day, every day, on
varied terrain and water; but for the family dog, you aren't teaching
advanced concepts: you're learning how to communicate with your dog.

2 - I know that you will miss 'bonding' time with your pet during this
time, will the dog benefit from the training or go back to the way he
was as soon as he gets back to home. The particular school we were
thinking off spends a couple of weeks with the dog, then you go do
training sessions with the dog so that you, the owner, can be trained
(which my family needs just as much as the dog)

You and your family would be better off taking a good family dog class
while pupster learned the rules and slept in his own house. Family dog
training is much, much more about training the handler than the dog.
Save your money and keep the dog at home.

--
Kate
and Storm and The Puppy to be Named Later (ten days to go!), the FCR duo
Old July 19th 05, 08:21 PM
Mary Healey

Janet B wrote in
:
So much of dog training is the relationship with the owner.

An equal amount is training the owner. Training the dog is easy-peasy once
the human has purchased and installed a clue-card.

You can't subsitute or transfer that.

Hey, I know! What about places where owners can go and be trained without
their dogs? Like a doggie dude ranch!

Old July 19th 05, 08:24 PM
Janet B

On 19 Jul 2005 19:21:50 GMT, Mary Healey ,
clicked their heels and said:

Hey, I know! What about places where owners can go and be trained without
their dogs? Like a doggie dude ranch!

I've often thought that handing a "trained" dog for the person to
learn handling skills on, wouldn't be a bad idea. But, I don't hand
my dogs off to people who may do stupid things. The doggie dude ranch
idea sounds great!

Old July 19th 05, 08:58 PM
drewkbell

Thanks for the advice. That is a great idea to use the dog daycare.
That is the reason I posted on here (not to be trashed by others for
considering an option they don't agree with).

This way me and my wife (which we need the training more) could get
what we need form the experience. Thanks again.

Old July 19th 05, 09:01 PM
drewkbell

I double posted this topic on accident - sorry - please refer to the
other post

Old July 19th 05, 09:22 PM
Paula

On 19 Jul 2005 11:25:32 -0700, wrote:

With that, I have a few questions
regarding in-boarding training. I would like to hear good and bad
experiences with this.

1 - Does it work with a normal family member type dog? I see this
working well with bomb dogs, drug dogs, etc... But, would it be
suitable to have your dog trained professionaly by using this method?

2 - I know that you will miss 'bonding' time with your pet during this
time, will the dog benefit from the training or go back to the way he
was as soon as he gets back to home. The particular school we were
thinking off spends a couple of weeks with the dog, then you go do
training sessions with the dog so that you, the owner, can be trained
(which my family needs just as much as the dog)

I think it depends on the circumstances. I took one of my dogs to a
facility like that because she had fear aggression problems with men.
Since we had no men in our household (divorced with daughters and no
sons), it was hard for me to work on it but I couldn't take her out in
the meantime because she would freak out if the wrong person walked
by. These were reputable trainers with a good facility who had her
fed and cared for in every way by male handlers and also trained with
positive methods by male handlers. Actually, she already had good
obedience skills, but building that kind of relationship with men was
part of teaching her that men could be caregivers and trustworthy and
kind leaders as well as whatever the men in her past had taught her
they could be. It did a lot in a lot shorter time than I could in my
circumstances at home. I still take my dog to their facility for
boarding when they have space and I need to board them because they
are good with dogs and exercise their minds as well as their bodies
while I am gone.

As for basic obedience training, I would say that if you are going to
board your dog anyway because you are going on vacation or something,
then why not also have some training going on? As I said, it is nice
to have the dog's mind exercised as well as its body getting some
exercise. If you are not going anywhere, it can still work out if you
and the trainer are committed to working on your relationship with the
dog as well, but you miss out on some of the bonding that happens
while you learn to communicate to your dog what you want and lead it
to those AHA! moments. If you think that the dog is going to go away
for a couple of weeks and come back the perfect dog from then on, you
are wasting your money. As the board/train person I sent my dog to
says, obedience is a dance. If your dog knows the steps but you
don't, at best you'll get a confused dog. At worst, you'll get a dog
that thinks it has to behave while at the training facility but is
back to disobedience as usual when it goes back home.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy, so it's best to try to get along with them." Joe Bay
Old July 19th 05, 09:24 PM
KWBrown

Janet B wrote in
:

On 19 Jul 2005 19:21:50 GMT, Mary Healey ,
clicked their heels and said:

Hey, I know! What about places where owners can go and be trained
without their dogs? Like a doggie dude ranch!

I've often thought that handing a "trained" dog for the person to
learn handling skills on, wouldn't be a bad idea. But, I don't hand
my dogs off to people who may do stupid things. The doggie dude ranch
idea sounds great!

I've taught basic field handling to my kids: I get to be the dog, they get
to learn some of the typical handling mistakes without actually messing up
a real dog. It works a treat!

--
Kate
and Storm and The Puppy to be Named Later, the FCR duo