A sad story...and lessons learned.

Old July 20th 05, 02:04 AM
Robin Nuttall

Default A sad story...and lessons learned.

Handsome Jack Morrison wrote:

Unfortunately, my friend called me again, just a few hours ago, and
gave me the bad news. The dog has several large inoperable tumors on
his brain (one is "larger than a golf ball"), several additional
tumors on his liver -- and bone cancer. They suspect that the dog is
suffering "immeasurable pain."

He is scheduled to be put to sleep sometime this week.

I'm very sorry for your friend, and my condolences to you as well. It
sounds like he was a great dog. Six is just way, way too young...

Old July 20th 05, 02:25 AM
HouseODogs

I have also heard of a couple of instances where dogs who had previously
been very friendly whacked out and they had high levels of Lyme disease when
tested.

Please pass my sympathies along to your friend. You are right, six is way
to young to lose a beloved friend.

Yours in GSDs and rescue,

Lea
www.shepherdrescue.org

Old July 20th 05, 03:10 AM
Rocky

Handsome Jack Morrison said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Here's an example of why it's so important to rule out
physical problems before attempting to deal with behavior
problems, especially sudden onset aggression.

I'm very sorry. I remember when good ol' Murphy started
reacting to her pain.

Please pass my condolences on.

Old July 20th 05, 03:31 AM
Tee

I'm very sorry. Both he and the dog are lucky though in that they have each
other and you. Some people would've done much less (but potentially more
harmful) when faced with aggression. Your friend chose to seek tests and
answers. I know the news is devastating but maybe your friend can find some
solace in having an explanation for the behavior change. I know its not
much but at least he will have the opportunity to say goodbye.

--
Tara

Old July 20th 05, 03:33 AM

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:49:11 -0400 Handsome Jack Morrison whittled these words:

Here's an example of why it's so important to rule out physical
problems before attempting to deal with behavior problems, especially
sudden onset aggression.

That is very sad. Although it must be some small relief that this turn of
behavior was not the result of a bad dog or bad training.

Having given that advice umpteetn times I will never forget how surprised
my vet was when I brought my dog in because he had dug a hole in the bed.
The blood tests showed his blood calcium levels were significanlty
off (which causes nervousness and irritability and tingling sensations).

Hopefully your friend isn't into the guilt thing and will simply be able
to remember his friend in his better times, and learn from the experience
without beating himself up over it.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old July 20th 05, 03:40 AM
flick

"Handsome Jack Morrison"
wrote in message ...

Unfortunately, my friend called me again, just a few hours ago, and
gave me the bad news. The dog has several large inoperable tumors on
his brain (one is "larger than a golf ball"), several additional
tumors on his liver -- and bone cancer. They suspect that the dog is
suffering "immeasurable pain."

He is scheduled to be put to sleep sometime this week.

Condolences to your friend and his family - and to you, HJM.

flick 100785

Old July 20th 05, 05:11 AM
sighthounds & siberians

wrote:

Unfortunately, my friend called me again, just a few hours ago, and
gave me the bad news. The dog has several large inoperable tumors on
his brain (one is "larger than a golf ball"), several additional
tumors on his liver -- and bone cancer. They suspect that the dog is
suffering "immeasurable pain."

He is scheduled to be put to sleep sometime this week.

How sad; condolences to all concerned. At least they had the tests
done, so now they know the aggression wasn't the dog's fault and can
remember him as the fine dog he always was.

Mustang Sally

Old July 20th 05, 12:47 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

sighthounds & siberians wrote in
:

wrote:

Unfortunately, my friend called me again, just a few hours ago, and
gave me the bad news. The dog has several large inoperable tumors on
his brain (one is "larger than a golf ball"), several additional
tumors on his liver -- and bone cancer. They suspect that the dog is
suffering "immeasurable pain."

He is scheduled to be put to sleep sometime this week.

How sad; condolences to all concerned. At least they had the tests
done, so now they know the aggression wasn't the dog's fault and can
remember him as the fine dog he always was.

You took the words out of my mouth Sally.

Jack, you, your friend and your families will be in my thoughts...

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Old July 20th 05, 01:09 PM
Handsome Jack Morrison

Rocky wrote in
:

Handsome Jack Morrison said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Here's an example of why it's so important to rule out
physical problems before attempting to deal with behavior
problems, especially sudden onset aggression.

I'm very sorry. I remember when good ol' Murphy started
reacting to her pain.

Please pass my condolences on.

I will, thanks.

Considering the amount of pain he must be in, and only God knows what
other ways that tumor on his brain might be affecting his temperament,
it's a small wonder that more people weren't injured.

--

Handsome Jack Morrison
*gently remove the detonator to send me e-mail
Old July 20th 05, 01:15 PM
Handsome Jack Morrison

"Tee" wrote in
:

I'm very sorry. Both he and the dog are lucky though in that they
have each other and you. Some people would've done much less (but
potentially more harmful) when faced with aggression.

Makes you wonder how many "aggressive" dogs get put to sleep because no
one bothered to look for an underlying physical cause.

I know the news is devastating but
maybe your friend can find some solace in having an explanation for
the behavior change. I know its not much but at least he will have
the opportunity to say goodbye.

Yeah, my friend's entire family is pretty shook up over it, because it
came out of the blue.

But knowing exactly what caused his extremely atypical behavior is indeed
a help.

Well, he won't be in such pain much longer.