How should I handle this for now?

Old July 20th 05, 06:25 PM
marie

Default How should I handle this for now?

Macula has always been really great with the boys. Even now, as they grow
into rough and tumble toddlers, Macula just watches--she doesn't try and
join in and/or interfere in any way. She gives them all the tolerance that
puppies deserve, as well as they overwhelming respect they earn as
"Givers-Of-Good-Things."

But--yesterday Alex was in a mimicking mood. Every time I gave Macula a
command, Alex would immediately repeat it--complete with hand signals. He
wasn't just copying me, he would face Macula when he was doing it. And once
or twice he actually attempted to command Pupster on his own. For example:
Macula was in a down/stay and I turned away from her. A minute or two later
I turned back, and found that she had stood up. But she hadn't moved from
her spot because Alex was standing directly in front of her giving her the
Down command, complete with hand signal. Problem is, Alex isn't speaking
clearly yet so "Down" was coming out as sort of "dowwwen." Macula was
staring at him in complete bewilderment.

I've watched Chris occassionally try and command Macula too: with similar
results. The boys' language skills are just not strong enough. And when
language doesn't work, they sometimes try and physically control her: Alex
tried pushing Macula's shoulders down--which, considering he weighs about
half of what Macula does and her shoulders come up past his arm pits, is
kinda amusing to watch. Amusing *only* because I know that Pupster will
allow them to do things like this.

Eventually, I want Macula to accept the boys' authority over her the same as
she does ours (or possibly better :-} ), am just not sure when that
eventually should be. How do I help Macula to see/understand the boys as
commanders? Should I be discouraging the boys from trying to learn the
commands (at the moment, I try not to discourage *any* opportunity for their
language development)?

At what age should a child stop being a "puppy" (with all the priveledges
thereof) and start becoming a hoomun in the eyes of the dog?

Marie

Old July 20th 05, 06:54 PM
ceb

"marie" wrote in :

Should I be discouraging the boys from trying to learn the
commands

I have a close friend who has a 4 year old (I know that's older than your
kids) who does the same thing when she visits -- imitates me and tries to
control the dogs. I reinforce some things and discourage others -- if
Phoebe tries to make them sit, I help her and make them sit. I would like
them to sit for whoever tells them to, for the most part.

But for bigger things, like giving Queenie a time out, which is sometimes
necessary, her mother will say "Phoebe, that's for Catherine to decide --
it's Catherine who tells the dogs what to do." And this works well for us.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old July 20th 05, 08:14 PM
Paula

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:25:58 -0400, "marie" wrote:

Eventually, I want Macula to accept the boys' authority over her the same as
she does ours (or possibly better :-} ), am just not sure when that
eventually should be. How do I help Macula to see/understand the boys as
commanders? Should I be discouraging the boys from trying to learn the
commands (at the moment, I try not to discourage *any* opportunity for their
language development)?

Mimi used to go around telling the dogs to "Gick!" and they would sit
just like that, even though they were five times her size. I saw it
as a good thing. The way I helped the dogs and kids when the language
wasn't that good and the relationship was iffy (puppy or human who can
command me?) is that I supervised. So when Mimi would tell the dog to
gick and the dog would look bewildered, I would make her sit and then
we would both praise her. If Macula learned verbal commands and hand
signals, she can also learn childspeak commands. Dogs don't have
problems with different terms for the same behavior. The other
advantage to your being there when they do this and making Macula do
the commanded behavior is that you are teaching Macula that you expect
her to obey the kids even if they seem like puppies she might be able
to correct to her. You are telling her that they are above her in the
hierarchy and she must accept that, no matter how it may look to her.
This was very important to me as I wanted every dog in our household,
especially when we had a bunch of fosters, to understand that they
must respect and obey all humans of every size. This is how we ended
up taking big boisterous dalmatians from pound throw-aways to
cherished family dogs with kids who loved the Disney movies. Dogs
have to be taught to obey kids if there are kids in the household,
IMO, and they will accept that just fine if you teach them they must.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy, so it's best to try to get along with them." Joe Bay