Meet Mollie

Old July 20th 05, 11:32 PM
Paula

Default Meet Mollie

In honor of Terri's Luke and Mojo, because of the responses to my
inquiries about GSDs here and in the spirit of keeping my heart from
being completely closed off after losing Diva, I accepted a request to
foster a GSD. I figured it would be pretty safe since I didn't see
myself losing my heart to a GSD, given my past with them and
everything. I didn't have a heart to give, but I have plenty of dog
food, so what the heck, right? So that is how Mollie came to live
with us. She does a darned good impression of a bear rug most of the
time. When the girls go to pet her, she automatically flips over for
belly scritches. When I go to pet her, she moves her head to get
maximum throat scritches and then moves it again to get maximum all
over the neck scritches. She was whiny whenever she couldn't see me
for the first night, but now smiles all the time, except when the
girls' bedroom doors are closed so she can't check in on them while on
one of her patrols. She also had diarrhea, but she always told me to
let her out so I didn't have to clean up any messes in the house,
which endeared her to me no end. She was listed as somewhat bossy on
the website, which surprised me. She has given me the "do you really
mean it?" look once or twice, but always does as she is told without
giving me any trouble over it. She does seem to really respond to the
calm but no nonsense approach we already have set up here and knowing
exactly what is expected of her. Is that a GSD thing? It reminds me
of Diva, which makes me cry and makes me smile all at the same time.
I may turn into a GSD person after all.

You can see Mollie at:
http://www.coastalgsr.org/molly.htm
--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy, so it's best to try to get along with them." Joe Bay
Old July 20th 05, 11:40 PM
Janet B

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:32:18 GMT, Paula ,
clicked their heels and said:

http://www.coastalgsr.org/molly.htm

isn't she pretty! I think you just may be a GSD person after
all.......

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old July 21st 05, 12:17 AM
Kepytan

"Paula" wrote in message
I may turn into a GSD person after all.

You can see Mollie at:
http://www.coastalgsr.org/molly.htm

what a cutie! I love the black dogs! There is an excellent webboard at
www.germanshepherds.com If she wasnt so far away....

dainerra

Old July 21st 05, 01:36 AM
HouseODogs

Mollie is a beauty! I will warn you - once a GSD owns your heart, there is
no going back.

Thanks for opening up your home to foster a GSD - fosters are the most
important part of any rescue organization.

All the best!

Yours in GSDs and rescue,

Lea
www.shepherdrescue.org

Old July 21st 05, 02:06 AM
Tee

"Paula" wrote in message

snip
She was listed as somewhat bossy on
the website, which surprised me. She has given me the "do you really
mean it?" look once or twice, but always does as she is told without
giving me any trouble over it.

Here's hoping the end of the honeymoon doesn't show a bossy girl afterall
She's gorgeous and I'm wondering if she'll be replacing the potential poodle
with your daughter?

--
Tara

Old July 21st 05, 02:20 AM
Paula

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:06:41 -0400, "Tee"
wrote:

"Paula" wrote in message
.. .

snip
She was listed as somewhat bossy on
the website, which surprised me. She has given me the "do you really
mean it?" look once or twice, but always does as she is told without
giving me any trouble over it.

Here's hoping the end of the honeymoon doesn't show a bossy girl afterall
She's gorgeous and I'm wondering if she'll be replacing the potential poodle
with your daughter?

Nah, Mimi's thing is carrying Anna's little dog all over the house.
She can't even lift a GSD. I have relented on the poodle as well.
Yes, I do have SUCKER stamped all over my forehead. Why do you ask?

As for the end of the honeymoon, that's the beauty of just being a
foster dog, right?

Old July 21st 05, 02:33 AM
Kepytan

"Paula" wrote in message
Yes, I do have SUCKER stamped all over my forehead. Why do you ask?

Perhaps you are related to my hubby? He jokes that when he was young
he believed that that "S" stood for Superman. Having two daughters has
taught him otherwise.

dainerra

Old July 21st 05, 03:08 PM
ceb

Paula wrote in
:

http://www.coastalgsr.org/molly.htm

Awww, she's pretty!

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old July 21st 05, 11:41 PM
Spot

Paula,

She's a very pretty dog and it sounds like she's winning you
over............

Celeste

Old July 22nd 05, 10:51 AM
Paula

On 22 Jul 2005 09:11:13 GMT, dogsnus wrote:

Paula wrote in
:

In honor of Terri's Luke and Mojo,

We are very honored.

As you should be.

because of the responses to my
inquiries about GSDs here and in the spirit of keeping my heart from
being completely closed off after losing Diva, I accepted a request to
foster a GSD. I figured it would be pretty safe since I didn't see
myself losing my heart to a GSD, given my past with them and
everything. I didn't have a heart to give, but I have plenty of dog
food, so what the heck, right? So that is how Mollie came to live
with us. She does a darned good impression of a bear rug most of the
time.

That's pretty much what I tell Mojo all the time.
"You'd make a lovely huge rug for the floor".

Who needs Trading Spaces when you have dogs? Ever since she figured
out what door leads to the wide open front yard where bad things might
come at us, right in front of that door is her favorite spot. Except
when we are all tucked safely in bed, at which point she moves to the
cooler tile in the family room. She also makes an exception when the
girls are playing in the back yard. The one time she wasn't out there
with them, she was planted in front of the slider sitting at
attention. I guess you can't be a rug when you are on serious guard
duty.

When the girls go to pet her, she automatically flips over for
belly scritches.

"Present bellies!"

Definitely. I think I mentioned on here before about how Diva hated
to go into a down. She didn't particularly like to sit straight, so
she'd hover her butt a bit above the ground unless she was sitting on
a soft cushy surface. When asked to down, however, she just didn't
want to do it at all. She'd try just sitting, looking at me like she
hadn't heard me, looking at me like I was torturing her, anything she
could get away with. We came to an agreement where I rarely asked her
to down, but when I did, she could only give me one tortured or
hopeful look before she had to do it. Molly, OTOH, doesn't want to
sit without going down. She sits down only to immediately melt into
bear rug position. I would be worried about getting her checked for
liquid leg bone syndrome if she weren't so good at perfect sits when
asked to sit with a treat in sight and bounding up and down the stairs
to make sure she's in the middle of any action.

She does seem to really respond to the
calm but no nonsense approach we already have set up here and knowing
exactly what is expected of her. Is that a GSD thing?

Yes. But all dogs appreciate knowing what the rules are and where
the boundries are.

Well, yeah, I've noticed that in general. But she seems to be a real
worrier when she is unsure of what is expected of her and then
freakishly calm when she does know what you want. I've never seen
such a wide contrast before. Punk was barking at her when first
introduced. Molly looked like she was going to try to hump Punk, so I
told her to knock it off and had her sit while I petted her and told
her what a good girl she was. She called off immediately and was
happy to ignore Punk for praise. The weird part is that ever since
then, she acts like Punk does not exist when Punk is in her face. If
she starts barking or doing the in your face invitation to play stuff,
Molly comes over to me, sits down and goes into her zone where Punk
might as well be the breeze. I want her to teach me how to do that.

It reminds me
of Diva, which makes me cry and makes me smile all at the same time.
I may turn into a GSD person after all.

Heh.

So you say now, but be warned that the more this dog worms its way
into my heart, the higher you and your dogs go on my ladder of hate!
Damn you!