doggy jealousy?

Old July 23rd 05, 08:41 AM
Dilbert Firestorm

Default doggy jealousy?

hey all..

got a mixed breed hyper-active & alpha scottish terrier female (daisy).
apparently, she is jealous (or so my parents think) of another dog
(frankie) which is a mini or toy doberman.

my parents took frankie in tempororarily from the rain after walking
daisy. the owner left the dog out on the front lawn tied to a stake
(don't ask why... the owner doesn't have a fence in the back yard).

anyway daisy starts acting up and starts following frankie and nips her
at the behind. Frankie returns the favor.

Daisy apparently also doesn't like frankie messing with her toys. and I
think she also got frustrated because frankie was apparently faster and
Daisy ended up being the chasee instead of the chaser.

also there were fights between the two who gets to go on my moms lap.

it apparently was pretty trying for Daisy and appeared to be mad at my
parents (cold shoulder treatment)

I thought it was rather bizarre that how that unfolded....

is this more to do with Daisy having a lack of interaction with other
dogs or is that more to do the she was raised in a cage?

Old July 23rd 05, 12:34 PM
bizby40

"Dilbert Firestorm" wrote in
message ...
is this more to do with Daisy having a lack of interaction with other dogs
or is that more to do the she was raised in a cage?

I think it has more to do with a strange dog coming into her home. It
sounds like Daisy didn't know this dog who suddenly showed up, took all her
toys, and even her mom's lap. I don't really blame her for acting jealous.
In the future, you should try to introduce her to new dogs more gradually,
and on neutral territory if possible.

Bizby

Old July 23rd 05, 04:19 PM
Dilbert Firestorm

bizby40 wrote:

"Dilbert Firestorm" wrote in
message ...

is this more to do with Daisy having a lack of interaction with other dogs
or is that more to do the she was raised in a cage?

I think it has more to do with a strange dog coming into her home. It
sounds like Daisy didn't know this dog who suddenly showed up, took all her
toys, and even her mom's lap. I don't really blame her for acting jealous.
In the future, you should try to introduce her to new dogs more gradually,
and on neutral territory if possible.

Bizby

the both dogs already know each other from the walks my parents take
with daisy. they'll walk by where frankie is staked out on the front
lawn. they let daisy interact with frankie for a bit.

Old July 23rd 05, 05:14 PM
Tee

"Dilbert Firestorm" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I'm not sure how being raised in a cage (I assume you mean crate trained and
not 24/7 in an animal cage without relief) factors into anything. Dogs are
like people in that each one's preferences, patience and tolerance levels
are different. Its hard to say why Daisy took issue with him because there
could be any number of reasons. The most obvious is that he was in her home
playing with her things and she's just not accustomed to sharing her
space/things with another dog.

IME most dogs aren't terribly kosher with having a strange dog enter their
home or space. Most get over it fairly quickly and the outcome can be
anything from tolerance to total friendship. Some don't get over it and
their owners realize the dog just isn't accepting of other dogs in a certain
space. It'll take more time and attempts to have Frankie in the home before
you can get a better idea of what's going on IMO.

--
Tara

Old July 25th 05, 01:15 AM
Dilbert Firestorm

Tee wrote:

[...]

I think I read somewhere that dog behavior is different if raised as a
puppy as compared to raised in a cage from an animal shelter.

Old July 25th 05, 05:41 AM
Paula

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:15:22 -0500, Dilbert Firestorm
wrote:

I think I read somewhere that dog behavior is different if raised as a
puppy as compared to raised in a cage from an animal shelter.

Most dogs in shelters weren't raised there. Unfortunately, most of
them end up dead if not adopted long before they can be considered to
have been raised in there. Shelter dogs run the gamut from those who
were kept chained or confined 24/7 to those who were great and loved
house pets raised lovingly from puppyhood.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy, so it's best to try to get along with them." Joe Bay