Sorry for the multiple postings about my dog peeing in the bed...

Old July 27th 05, 09:02 PM
Bunny

Default Sorry for the multiple postings about my dog peeing in the bed...

I thought I only hit the POST link once!!!

Old July 27th 05, 09:18 PM
diddy

in thread oups.com:
"Bunny" whittled the following words:

I thought I only hit the POST link once!!!

The bed is also a wonderful source of interesting odors to the dog. Using a
good odor remover may help.
Bed peeing is usually a behavioral problem. Usually the dog is overly
attached to the owner and "Claiming" the owner as "theirs".
The cure is taking back pack dominance combined with management. Establish
that the owner makes the rules. obvious solution is to crate the dog at
night and restrict access to the bedroom by day.
Taking back that power trip that the dog is on is of prime importance. The
crate is just one prong of the attack. It's management AND if used in a
system, a part of the cure. The dog should not allowed to sleep in the
owners bed, because the dog seems to think they are pack leader. Allowing
them to sleep in the bed confirms this in the dog's head.
So Crate/NILIF/management and of course, taking to the vet to rule out
health issues are all suggested fixes here.
The bed is also a wonderful source of interesting odors to the dog. Using a
good odor remover may help.
NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free) is a behavior altering method that will
apply to just about everything with good results. It's as close to a
panacea for everything as a training system can be. more information
he http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm
Old July 27th 05, 11:03 PM
Bunny

I do have the crate (actually a Midwest dog cage, not an enclosed
shipping crate), and she uses it freely, and often. It's sort of like
her "bedroom". But I want her to feel like a member of our family
(which she is) not as though she doesn't truely belong.

I have Fabreez-ed the mattress and used Clorox - 2 on the bedding. I
don't know her past, but want to have her feel secure in her current
situation. I am not sure browbeating is the best way to go. I also
don't wantot scold her for a misdeed and then immediatly shove her in
her cage, as she might come to associate it with fear and then where
will she go for a respite? Not my bedroom and not her cage.

I was really hoping that she might bond more with my husband and son,
thereby giving her less to feel competitive about. Not punishing her
for her apparent insecurrities.

Thank you,

Bunny