The Week From Hell

Old July 29th 05, 06:53 PM
sighthounds & siberians

Default The Week From Hell

Last week, we got a call from a county shelter that they had an
ex-racing Greyhound, tattoos and all, that they'd picked up. Her
tattoos showed that she was born in 1993. I made the usual calls to
see if she was placed by any of the Ohio adoption groups; she wasn't.
So after her 3 days were up, we sprung her from the shelter. She
wasn't in great shape - - she's very thin, only about 46 lb., her
nails were extremely long and her teeth haven't been cleaned in
forever. We named her Molly. She did fairly well Saturday and part
of Sunday, then stopped eating on Sunday and started vomiting Sunday
night. Was rushed to the vet Monday with an arrythmia and
dehydration. All tests were negative, she perked up nicely after a
night of IV fluids (and several hundred dollars' worth of tests), and
she came home Tuesday afternoon. Wednesday, two of my dogs started
vomiting. Since then, they've fallen one by one to some type of viral
gastritis, apparently, which we think Molly brought home from the
shelter. Currently we're at 8 sick, not counting Molly, although
three dogs are starting to recover. (We've gone 45 minutes now
without any new vomit.) Oh, and did I mention that we don't have
laundry facilities, because we're waiting for a part to come in on the
still-under-warranty million-dollar dryer?

Mustang Sally
Old July 29th 05, 07:07 PM
ceb

sighthounds & siberians wrote in
:

Currently we're at 8 sick, not counting Molly, although
three dogs are starting to recover.

That sounds really awful! Sending healing thoughts your way.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old July 29th 05, 07:36 PM
sighthounds & siberians

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:59:21 -0500, diddy
wrote:

in thread : sighthounds &
siberians whittled the following words:

[...]

I hope this isn't something like RACE FLU, or Greyhound flu.
Hope things look up.
Since I'm asking, are there any Greyhound rescues in western Ohio? There is
a group in Cincinnatti, but they will not adopt out of county (or something
like that) same for a Columbus rescue.

Doubtful. As I understand it, that's usually a type of kennel cough,
which sometimes mutates to become particularly nasty and quickly
fatal. And spreads like wildfire because the dogs are all kenneled.
In fact, one of the two WV tracks is currently under quarantine, and
the other most likely will soon follow. This old girl hasn't seen a
track in a long time, except maybe on TV. Since all the tests were
negative, and the dogs are getting sick so quickly, I'm assuming this
is a viral thing. It's kind of interesting - - the dogs seem to know
that they have to stay hydrated, and drink right after they've
vomited.

Thanks, I sure hope things look up too, and soon.

My reference book doesn't list a GH rescue based in Dayton. I'd heard
from time to time that there was one, but maybe it's not in existence
anymore - - there are an awful lot of GH groups that went out of
business after a short time period. There's a group called Team
Greyhound Adoption of Ohio that has a Cincinnati branch, phone number
513-385-3751. Not my favorite group, but AFAIK they'll place dogs
anywhere in the state.

Mustang Sally

Old July 29th 05, 08:00 PM
bizby40

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message
shelter. Currently we're at 8 sick, not counting Molly, although
three dogs are starting to recover. (We've gone 45 minutes now
without any new vomit.) Oh, and did I mention that we don't have
laundry facilities, because we're waiting for a part to come in on the
still-under-warranty million-dollar dryer?

Oh, my gosh! Suddenly my housebreaking troubles seem so trivial!

:-)

Bizby

Old July 29th 05, 08:59 PM
Paula

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:53:34 -0400, sighthounds & siberians
wrote:

[...]

Blessings upon your dogs, your dryer and your patience!

Hope things turn around for you soon!

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy, so it's best to try to get along with them." Joe Bay
Old July 29th 05, 09:08 PM
sighthounds & siberians

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that. Any warnings about this rescue?
I know a couple that moved into the area a few years ago from SC. They
came with a lovely Greyhound rescue. They lost their greyhound the same
week I lost Danny. They've been looking for a Greyhound rescue for the past
year, and can't find someone who will let them adopt out of their region.
And it seems this couple didn't fit in anybodies region.

Well, IMO they have their priorities wrong; one stated goal was to be
the biggest group in the state. I mean, who cares. I don't agree
with the way their prison program works - - too many dogs for too
long, and dogs in facilities that this breed probably shouldn't be in,
especially right off the track. They place dogs pretty much anywhere
(which is an advantage for the couple you know), whereas I'm a strong
believer in home visits. They don't test for tick-borne diseases,
which are very common in ex-racers. If this couple does adopt a
Greyhound, tell them to make sure to have a tick panel run on it.
They can contact Protatek Reference Lab in Phoenix, AZ for
information, in the likely event that their vet is unfamiliar with
TBDs.

My vet says he's been seeing dogs right and left with vomiting and
diarrhea. All have grass in their stomachs. He thinks there's a
virus or something on the wet grass. So, Chlorox here we come.

Mustang Sally
Old July 29th 05, 09:11 PM
sighthounds & siberians

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:34:40 GMT, "Janet Puistonen"
wrote:

ceb wrote:
sighthounds & siberians wrote in
:

Currently we're at 8 sick, not counting Molly, although
three dogs are starting to recover.

That sounds really awful! Sending healing thoughts your way.

Really!

Thanks to both. I've never seen anything like this, and hope never to
again. Vet thinks it's a virus on the wet grass - - he's been seeing
dogs with vomiting and diarrhea all week, all with grass in their
stomachs. So everybody goes out in the small yard, which has stones
only, until we can take a few minutes out from mopping up vomit and
spray the yard with Chlorox.

Mustang Sally

Old July 29th 05, 09:39 PM
Janet B

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:17:21 -0500, diddy ,
clicked their heels and said:

But the dogs that are eating grass are
indulging initially on those little toad stools that are popping up all
over flourishing in the heat/humidity/rains

I scoop all of them every morning, but the dogs have never shown any
interest in them. I was concerned my foster puppy (gone 4 weeks now!)
might have though, so first thing in the morning, scooped them all up.

I can't identify funghi well enough to trust any of it.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old July 29th 05, 10:43 PM
sighthounds & siberians

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:00:07 -0400, "bizby40"
wrote:

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message
.. .
shelter. Currently we're at 8 sick, not counting Molly, although
three dogs are starting to recover. (We've gone 45 minutes now
without any new vomit.) Oh, and did I mention that we don't have
laundry facilities, because we're waiting for a part to come in on the
still-under-warranty million-dollar dryer?

Oh, my gosh! Suddenly my housebreaking troubles seem so trivial!

:-)

I wouldn't say trivial, but words fail me in describing what the last
few days have been like!

Mustang Sally