Back to agility!

Old August 1st 05, 04:24 PM
Robin Nuttall

Default Back to agility!

We don't have many agility trials in the summer in this area, and I
haven't competed with Cala since May. So it was really fun to get to go
to a 3-day last weekend.

Because of the heat and losing the lease on our training building I've
done practically no training this summer. Cala's not at a point where
you can slack on training without losing skills, so my only goal was to
get through each course and not have to actually pull her off.

She actually surprised me all weekend. First thing out on Friday she Qd
on a challenging Lisa Miller Open Standard course--one of only two 24"
dogs to Q, and with a 1st place at 48 seconds, over 10 seconds faster
than the next dog and almost 20 seconds under course time--and that's
with stops on contacts. Jumpers Friday was less stellar--Cala got
jump-itis and took about 5 extra jumps.

Saturday in Standard I had a big oops handling-wise which resulted in
her crashing through an off course jump--totally my fault. Well we
turned away to do the dogwalk, tunnel, and weaves, then came back toward
that jump--it was the last one out. Imagine my horror to see Cala
running dead at the jump--and a stupid kid was right in the middle of
it, trying to reset the bar! Fortunately I was able to stop and turn
Cala back toward me last second. The kids eye's were big as saucers but
they would have been bigger if Cala had tried to jump over her.

Jumpers Sat was a hoot. I think Cala decided it was Christmas. ALL of
those jumps just for HER!! I may as well have been a wall hanging. We
just all laughed--the judge was giving me so many Fs she looked like she
was trying to flap her wings and fly. She accused me of giving her
scribe carpal tunnel and for the rest of the weekend we had a contest
for Most Letters On Your Sheet. I won with 15! But Cala didn't take down
a single bar in those, oh, 30 or so jumps she did.

Yesterday we had some super nice pieces and were close to Qing. This
time Cala managed to keep focus through both runs and though she had 2
refusals and a bar down in Jumpers I was really happy with the way she
handled, great distance and pretty efficient on her lines.

Overall a good weekend. These two clubs are thinking of doing another
4-day together again and I'd highly recommend it for anyone in travel
distance to St.Louis. Well organized, great facility, good food at a
reasonable price, and good judges--we had Lisa Miller, Lavonda Herring,
and Pat Corl. I'd show to any of them again.
Old August 1st 05, 04:45 PM
Rocky

Robin Nuttall said in
rec.pets.dogs.activities:

Imagine my horror to see Cala
running dead at the jump--and a stupid kid was right in the
middle of it, trying to reset the bar!

Did you get a rerun? I would have given you a rerun, but I'm a
nice judge.

It sounds like you had a fun weekend. At least I *think* "fun"
is the correct adjective.

And congratulations on that first Standard run!

Old August 1st 05, 05:58 PM
Robin Nuttall

Rocky wrote:
Robin Nuttall said in
rec.pets.dogs.activities:

Imagine my horror to see Cala
running dead at the jump--and a stupid kid was right in the
middle of it, trying to reset the bar!

Did you get a rerun? I would have given you a rerun, but I'm a
nice judge.

I was already NQ so it didn't matter. As an example, yesterday the
weaves got up and walked on us, Cala shoved them a good 5 feet forward
because the anchoring to the turf failed. She slipped a middle pole
because she just couldn't hit the moving target. I circled her back and
she got through them. It was our 2nd R, and you're only allowed one in
Open, but I have a feeling if that had been the difference between Qing
and not, the judge may have let me re run after the weaves were properly
secured. Who knows.

It sounds like you had a fun weekend. At least I *think* "fun"
is the correct adjective.

We had great fun. Right now I don't care about Qs. I was really pleased
with Cala overall especially considering how little we've been able to
train. With a couple of exceptions she was listening and working very
well. No spins, only 4 bars down all weekend and 2 of those were
directly my fault, stuck all contacts and start lines, and did some very
nice distance work. She also is getting better about hanging out before
running without totally losing her cool. I thought she was over the top
before the jumpers run yesterday--she was shaking and squirming on the
line which is usually a sign that she's going to explode and go nuts,
but she put in her best handling run all weekend at a scorching pace.

And congratulations on that first Standard run!

Thanks. It was a nice bonus.

Old August 1st 05, 06:35 PM

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:24:05 GMT Robin Nuttall whittled these words:

She actually surprised me all weekend. First thing out on Friday she Qd
on a challenging Lisa Miller Open Standard course--one of only two 24"
dogs to Q, and with a 1st place at 48 seconds, over 10 seconds faster
than the next dog and almost 20 seconds under course time--and that's
with stops on contacts. Jumpers Friday was less stellar--Cala got
jump-itis and took about 5 extra jumps.

Zoooom

that jump--it was the last one out. Imagine my horror to see Cala
running dead at the jump--and a stupid kid was right in the middle of
it, trying to reset the bar! Fortunately I was able to stop and turn
Cala back toward me last second. The kids eye's were big as saucers but
they would have been bigger if Cala had tried to jump over her.

That could really throw some dogs off.

Jumpers Sat was a hoot. I think Cala decided it was Christmas. ALL of
those jumps just for HER!! I may as well have been a wall hanging. We
just all laughed--the judge was giving me so many Fs she looked like she
was trying to flap her wings and fly. She accused me of giving her
scribe carpal tunnel and for the rest of the weekend we had a contest
for Most Letters On Your Sheet. I won with 15! But Cala didn't take down
a single bar in those, oh, 30 or so jumps she did.

:-) Sounds like a Gamblers run Tsuki had early on. Of course he was
earning points not losing them, but I had nothing to do with it. Judge
grinned at me as I was just standing there "Well at least we know he has
no trouble working out" And no - we didn't qualify on the gamble.

Glad you had an up week-end, even if not the "perfect" one. Sometimes it
is worth it, just to see the enthusiasm.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/

Puppy Growling and Attacking me when he has a bone Simon Adebisi Dog health 24 July 31st 05 11:45 PM
Maltese Back Problems abc Dog health 8 November 19th 03 12:18 AM
Maltese Back Problems abc Dog health 0 November 17th 03 01:57 PM
1 Day Left to Enroll in the 2003 Texas Iron Dogs Camp Andrew Mouser Dog activities 0 October 14th 03 12:12 AM
People object to dogs in the back of trucks but no one explains why they like it so much James and Karen Stewart Dog behavior 9 August 5th 03 03:45 AM