playing with toys alone

Old August 1st 05, 05:01 PM

Default playing with toys alone

We adopted a little (approx l yr old) miniature schunauzer a few months
ago. I don't believe the dog had ever had toys in her previous life. At
first, she wouldn't play with any toys, but now romps around the house
with some of the favorites. The problem is she will only play with my
husband or I and will not touch a toy when she is by herself. We , of
course, are busy at times and can't play or not at home. How can we
teach her to start playing by herself. I hate to see the sad, please
come play with me look.
I might add, I've tried coating a toy with some peanut butter. That
works as long as the pb lasts... Someone mentioned to me that it might
be because she is not getting enough exercise. I don't see what the
connection is , but I believe she gets plenty in the form of walks,
chase, and her favorite game of hide and seek. Also, I've tried
recycling some toys to make them special. No luck.Thanks Liz

Old August 1st 05, 05:31 PM
Paula

On 1 Aug 2005 09:01:15 -0700, wrote:

[...]

She loves you! Seriously, you will appreciate that level of bonding
when you are trying to get her through her snotty periods, so be sure
to think about the good side of a dog who cares about you more than
anything. I have found that if I want the dogs to go be by themselves
and leave me alone, chewies work better than toys. She may well play
with the toys more when you are not at home and she has no option of
trying to get you to play with her. But dogs also spend a lot of time
sleeping and lying around when their people aren't home, so I wouldn't
worry that because you can't be home all the time, your dog is having
a horrible time unless she plays with toys.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy, so it's best to try to get along with them." Joe Bay
Old August 1st 05, 05:55 PM
White Monkey

My Great Dane is 18 months old, and she just started playing by herself.
Once in a blue moon she doesn't try to tempt us with each and every one of
her toys first.
--Katrina

Old August 1st 05, 06:08 PM
ceb

Paula wrote in
:

I have found that if I want the dogs to go be by themselves
and leave me alone, chewies work better than toys.

Me too.

And there's always the "play with the other dog" option.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow

Doggies puzzle toys... Ingo Cyliax Dog behavior 0 August 26th 04 08:43 AM
playing with toys Sunni12 Dog behavior 20 November 18th 03 11:54 PM
playing with toys Sunni12 Dog behavior 0 November 17th 03 05:54 AM
playing with toys Sunni12 Dog behavior 0 November 17th 03 05:54 AM
playing with toys Sunni12 Dog behavior 0 November 17th 03 05:54 AM