Training Dogs to Poop in Only One Area of Backyard

Old August 4th 05, 02:20 AM
Awful Knopfel

Default Training Dogs to Poop in Only One Area of Backyard

How can I start training my two dogs to poop in one area of backyard?
(They're 4.5 month old labs).

Right now they poop any and everywhere, but I'd prefer if they went on only
one small area.

Should I; walk them on a leash in the one area until they go?

I saw a 7.5 x 7.5 foot kennel for sale, maybe I could let them in that until
they go, before I let them in the rest of the yard?

I have 2 20 foot leashes, maybe I could tie them to the fence until they go?
And release them into the yard when they're done.
And then if they don't go, I'll just keep them inside.

What's the best way to do this?

thanks!

Old August 4th 05, 05:34 AM
Rocky

"Awful Knopfel" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Should I; walk them on a leash in the one area until they go?

Yes, this is the best way and sort of the way I did it. I
didn't use a leash but I accompanied my dogs to the area I
wanted them to use, stayed with them until they used it, and
gave them lots of praise immediately.

In your case it may be easier to take one dog at a time to their
area so they won't be distracted by each other. I've trained my
dogs that business time is not play time. The whole process
will take some time, but will pay off in spades in the long
term.

Your kennel idea will also work if you stay with them. Again,
I'd do one dog at a time.

FWIW, I still accompany my dogs most of the time - this way,
when I *really* don't want to "share the experience", I know
they'll be going where they're supposed to. Plus, I have the
bonus of knowing my dogs pooed and peed - it's also a good
yardstick as to their general state of health.