Rat Terrier not potty trained

Old August 4th 05, 02:04 PM
ucme4dk

Default Rat Terrier not potty trained

I have 3 rat terriers. 2 are 9 yrs old and the 3rd, Maggie is 1 yr old.
When we got Maggie, I thought for sure that she would be potty trained
instantly because my other dogs are trained to go outside every time. A
year later, Maggie still is not trained. We will take her outside
sometimes for almost an hour. She might pee and then play the rest of
the time. When she comes in the house, she will neak away and poop in
the same spot of the dining room.

Other days, she will sneak under the kids beds and pee and poop under
their beds.

We will be moving into a new home in a month and we can't afford to
have the new carpets destroyed. My wife is ready to take her to the
pound unless I potty train her. Mggie is nuetered recently.

I was going to try placng the puppy pads in the area where she poops
and little by little move the pads toward the back door.

Is there anything else that will work? We are desperate to potty train
her asap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old August 4th 05, 06:45 PM
Rocky

"ucme4dk" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

When she comes in the house, she will neak away and poop in
the same spot of the dining room.

Other days, she will sneak under the kids beds and pee and
poop under their beds.

Don't let her do that.

That wasn't a flippant answer. Dogs learn many things by
repetition, including things we don't want them to do. The
easiest part of training is to simply *not* let them do the
thing we don't want them to do.

In my opinion, you should go back to treating Maggie like a new
puppy. Check out the many recent threads on housetraining and
crate training, including "Puddle in a trouble!"

By the way, she's not "sneaking" off to pee and poo. It sounds
like she's learned to not eliminate when a human is around.
This could be a hindrance in further housetraining.