Guess the dogs' mix plz?

Old August 5th 05, 06:08 AM
flick

Default Guess the dogs' mix plz?

We have a mixed-breed dog, about 2 years old, that we call Rex.

Rex is a very intelligent and outrageously high-energy dog. Dog On Springs,
we call him. We have no earthly idea what his parents look like; he was
dumped as a tiny puppy. He's about 55 lbs. His pic is he

http://flick.mystarband.net/rex.jpg

Friend of mine emailed that she's thinking about adopting this dog, which
resides in a shelter hundreds of miles from us - search for Emily on the
page:

http://www.apsofdurham.org/adopt/adpt-dogs.html

To me, it's uncanny how our Rex looks like Emily. Is she indeed a
Boxer-Ridgeback mix? Is that what Rex is? Anybody have any better, more
accurate guess?

Thanks.

flick 100785

Old August 5th 05, 06:33 AM
Liisa Sarakontu

"flick" wrote in
:

We have a mixed-breed dog, about 2 years old, that we call Rex.
http://flick.mystarband.net/rex.jpg

Might be a Boxer cross, but hard to say as the photo isn't exactly perfect.
A good side view, head also from side, would help. Boxer + Rhodesian is a
possible mix here, but also something like Boxer x hound or Boxer x Pit
Bull. And the Boxer part isn't even necessary; perhaps Rex has some Mastiff
or Bullmastiff there in the earlier generations.

search for Emily on the page:
http://www.apsofdurham.org/adopt/adpt-dogs.html

Emily might be a Boxer x RR, but it doesn't have to be. It isn't as
"Boxerish" as Rex (although again I would like to see a good side view!),
and so it might very well be for example Pit Bull x Dobermann.

That shelter page doesn't show too high knowledge about breeds, although
Emily's listed breed mix is very possible. For example, Solomon isn't a
"hound mix" but probably purebred American Akita. Nelson looks more like
Akita mix than Cattledog mix. Sheldon is listed as "hound/terrier" but is
hardly anything but purebred Pit Bull. Bonnie is merle, and I guess that
she has to be half Australian Shepherd. Sherman has hardly any Collie blood
in him, I's say Husky x hound. But wow, Mabel actually looks like she has
high percentage of Finkie blood!

Perhaps this shelter for some reason refuses to call anything a Pit mix or
Akita mix?

Liisa
Old August 5th 05, 02:03 PM

Lab X Pitbull. Most shelter dogs are pitbull. Body is too stocky for
RR or boxer. Wide jaws indicate PB . Tail is too thick for RR.
Definitely lab and pit. Think about the good combination- When he
tears a child's face off he'll bring it back to you )

Old August 5th 05, 03:03 PM
flick

wrote in message
oups.com...
Lab X Pitbull. Most shelter dogs are pitbull. Body is too stocky for
RR or boxer. Wide jaws indicate PB . Tail is too thick for RR.
Definitely lab and pit. Think about the good combination- When he
tears a child's face off he'll bring it back to you )

LOL!

He does love to play fetch. He also loves every person he meets (he would
lead a burglar to the valuables), and lives happily with 4 other dogs, is
neutered and sleeps in my son's bed.

flick 100785

Old August 5th 05, 03:05 PM
Suja

Liisa Sarakontu wrote:
Sheldon is listed as "hound/terrier" but is
hardly anything but purebred Pit Bull.

"Terrier mix" is a pretty popular term to describe Pits/Pit mixes in
these parts. Not entirely wrong, but not exactly truth in advertising
either.

Perhaps this shelter for some reason refuses to call anything a Pit mix or
Akita mix?

Highly likely, I'd think. There are vets who do similar stuff, fearing BSL.

Suja
Old August 5th 05, 03:58 PM
flick

"Liisa Sarakontu" wrote in message
. ..

Might be a Boxer cross, but hard to say as the photo isn't exactly
perfect.
A good side view, head also from side, would help. Boxer + Rhodesian is a
possible mix here, but also something like Boxer x hound or Boxer x Pit
Bull. And the Boxer part isn't even necessary; perhaps Rex has some
Mastiff
or Bullmastiff there in the earlier generations.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Rex was part Pit Bull - there are a lot of
them round these parts.

Emily might be a Boxer x RR, but it doesn't have to be. It isn't as
"Boxerish" as Rex (although again I would like to see a good side view!),
and so it might very well be for example Pit Bull x Dobermann.

The only Boxer cross I ever saw, the owner had the parents, was a Boxer x
Catahoula. And it looked very very Boxer-ish in the head, a somewhat
"houndy-er" body than a Boxer, and was merle. A beautiful, strange-looking
dog.

That shelter page doesn't show too high knowledge about breeds, although
Emily's listed breed mix is very possible. For example, Solomon isn't a
"hound mix" but probably purebred American Akita. Nelson looks more like
Akita mix than Cattledog mix. Sheldon is listed as "hound/terrier" but is
hardly anything but purebred Pit Bull. Bonnie is merle, and I guess that
she has to be half Australian Shepherd. Sherman has hardly any Collie
blood
in him, I's say Husky x hound. But wow, Mabel actually looks like she has
high percentage of Finkie blood!

Perhaps this shelter for some reason refuses to call anything a Pit mix or
Akita mix?

Probably so.

Many thanks for your expert opinion :-).

flick 100785

Liisa

Old August 5th 05, 04:07 PM

That's why I would guess lab in the mix. No RR of any worth would fail
in its duty to protect home and family. I have one and yes he is a big
scooby doo and loves most everyone he meets but I have no doubt that he
would step up and defend his people and home if truly necessary.
That's the genius of RR breeding though -- a dog that is not a
liability in today's society but still has the instinct to be an
effective guardian. I was joking before - the posted dog looks great
and I'm glad he found a happy home

Old August 6th 05, 04:50 AM

But Pits come in every color. The cheeks clearly have pitbull and the
stocky body and tail say labe to me. I guess we'll never know.
Withbout seeing the dog in person color is tough to nail perfectly.
I'm sticking by my guess which is as good as any.