puppy that won't "walk"

Old August 5th 05, 08:45 PM
bizby40

Default puppy that won't "walk"

I'm used to dogs that are pulling out on the end of their leash.
Lexi doesn't want to walk at all. I mean, it's not just that he
wants to investigate a smell and move on, it's that he doesn't
want to walk at all. Is this normal or typical for some dogs?

Bizby

Old August 5th 05, 09:25 PM
bizby40

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in
message news
On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 15:45:42 -0400, "bizby40"
wrote:

I'm used to dogs that are pulling out on the end of their leash.
Lexi doesn't want to walk at all. I mean, it's not just that he
wants to investigate a smell and move on, it's that he doesn't
want to walk at all. Is this normal or typical for some dogs?

Yes, if I'm understanding you correctly. But it's not very common.

Without seeing what's going on, it's hard to know what may or may not
be your "problem." Is it noisy where you're currently trying to walk
him? Are there lots of people nearby? Car traffic? Other dogs?

Try putting Lexi on a long-line (for safety), say, on a thin 30' rope
or cord, and then just walk "around" in your backyard (if you have the
room), or in a nearby field, etc. Hopefully, he'll want to stay close
to you. He's just a young puppy, right?

In essence, you're giving him his "freedom" while still keeping him
safe. If he starts to romp and play, gradually walk up the line until
you can use it as a leash ( just leave the rest of the line laying on
the ground).

Try it and see what happens.

Basically, if he's on one end of a leash, and I'm on the other, and
I try to go somewhere, he won't. I have identified a couple of
minor problems. For example, he doesn't like the garage. It's
darker in there than in either the house,or the outdoors so that
might be why he doesn't like it. Also, because the car is in there,
we have a pretty narrow space to walk through to get outside.
There are other doors of course, but there are several reasons
why that door is the most convenient to use. At any rate, if
I walk him towards the garage, he will sit down and refuse to
move. If I pick him up and carry him, and then put him down
mid garage, he will happily trot outdoors.

Once outside, he will move around on his own as long as I let
him have the lead. If I try to take the lead, and oh, say, get the
mail, or head towards the trashcan or wherever, he will sit down
and refuse to move.

Taking him on an actual walk at this point is pretty much
impossible. About the only place that he will go eagerly is
back inside (yes, even through the dreaded garage).

I don't know that this is a problem exactly -- well, I mean, if he
doesn't want to go on actual walks, that's okay. And he's small
enough that I can easily carry him if I have to get him somewhere.
But it would be convenient if he were to walk on a leash.

Bizby

Old August 5th 05, 10:46 PM
MauiJNP

"bizby40" wrote in message
I'm used to dogs that are pulling out on the end of their leash.
Lexi doesn't want to walk at all. I mean, it's not just that he
wants to investigate a smell and move on, it's that he doesn't
want to walk at all. Is this normal or typical for some dogs?

Bizby

Maui was already 7 months old or so before he really had to walk on a leash
and he didn't really like it at first, he would either pull or not move.
Basically what I did was put some food in my hand and show it to him (he's
like me, food motivated). He basically walked beside me to be closer to the
treat. After a few steps, he got the treat. I gradually increased the
distance he walked before getting a treat and now he's a pro without treats.
Anyway, according to the obedience trainer I went to, leash walking is one
of the hardest things for dogs to learn and accept because it goes against
their nature to be leashed. So, hope some of this helps and good luck with
the little guy!

Old August 11th 05, 08:22 AM
Marlon Cole

bizby40 wrote:
I'm used to dogs that are pulling out on the end of their leash.
Lexi doesn't want to walk at all. I mean, it's not just that he
wants to investigate a smell and move on, it's that he doesn't
want to walk at all. Is this normal or typical for some dogs?

Bizby

I've just come to this newsgroup to ask this very same question!
We took ownership of a 11 weeek old golden retriever pup 10 days
ago, and right from the off her 'walk' behaviour is similarly
unusual, with a slight variation.
When we turn round to go 'home' she suddenly finds walking no
problem and will trot and gambol along quite merrily - actually
I suspect not 'merrily' as such as I suspect it's merely a case
of wanting to get home as soon as possible. We've been taking
her out twice a day.
And yet I thought I was lucky in having a lovely wood right
across the road from my front door (so she's away from traffic
for one thing). She gets treats every so often when walking
'nicely' to try to give positive reinforcement for being out.
When home she gets to be in the garden a lot - it's well fenced
in so I suspect she probably feels very safe and secure there,
unlike possibly in the Big Bad World?

When out she seems to enjoy meeting people and other dogs, given
the amount of tail wagging and playful behaviour, so I'm a little
mystified as to what she might be finding so stressful out there.
And given that, I don't know what to do to make the outings less
stressful for her.

Any help gratefully received, and hopefully it might also help
Bizby (to whom I apologise for gratuitously hi-jacking the
original post!).

Marlon
Old August 12th 05, 07:52 AM
Paula

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 16:25:03 -0400, "bizby40"
wrote:

Taking him on an actual walk at this point is pretty much
impossible. About the only place that he will go eagerly is
back inside (yes, even through the dreaded garage).

I don't know that this is a problem exactly -- well, I mean, if he
doesn't want to go on actual walks, that's okay. And he's small
enough that I can easily carry him if I have to get him somewhere.
But it would be convenient if he were to walk on a leash.

Well, for heaven's sake, haven't you figured out yet that he is
supposed to decide where you go? Has all that puppy cuteness missed
its mark?

You can let him drag a leash for a while if he seems uncomfortable
with a leash, but when all is said and done, he's going to have to
learn to go where he needs to go even when it isn't where he wants to
go. It doesn't have to be a painful experience, though. Start with
having him walk around with you to places that he does want to go and
give him lots of treats and praise when he is being a good little
leash walker. Only stick in evil places like the garage every once in
a while. You don't want him to associate leash with being dragged
places he doesn't want to go, which could happen if every leashed
outing is primarily spent working on going places he doesn't want to
go. Lure with treats, get down and call him while you are still
holding the leash and enthusiastically praise him whenever he comes.
If he balks when you are taking him on leash, find a way to encourage
him to go in the direction you wanted to go without picking him up and
placing him there so you can reinforce him for it. With us, the
problem is that Sammie won't come when Mimi calls him half the time.
He has figured out that if he just sits there, she will go get him and
carry him around again. He doesn't do that with anyone else. So she
is doing tons of calling him and giving him yummy treats for quick
response and is working on not picking him up when he does that even
though that is the easier route. He's not particularly treat motivated
but there are certain treats that he will do anything for, even if it
means getting off his cute little butt and using his legs. If Lexi's
best treats are associated with walking around on leash, it would
probably help his attitude as well as his response.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy, so it's best to try to get along with them." Joe Bay