Practical Training Exercise

Old August 6th 05, 04:51 PM

Default Practical Training Exercise

The behavior to be taught is simple and practical. The job is to teach
the dog to jump into a bathtub, on cue, and accept being bathed. It is
perfectly OK to take longer than normal if you want to experiment. Many of
you will have already taught this, but for those who have not here are the
instruction

Predict how long it will take you to get to stage one. Stage one is
jumping into an empty bathtub. That stage is part of the exercise and
can't be omitted.

Predict how long it will take you to get to stage two. Stage two is
jumping into a bathtub with some water - at least enough to cover the
toes. That stage is part of the exercise and can't be omitted.

Predict how long it will take to get to the final stage - bathing without
physical restraint. Success is when you can get the dog into the bath,
shampoo from head to tail to toes, rinse, and do whatever finishing
touches with no reminders, or corrections. Extra credit if the dog stays
in the tub while you go fetch that towel you forgot.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old August 6th 05, 06:51 PM
Janet Puistonen

The behavior to be taught is simple and practical. The job is to
teach the dog to jump into a bathtub, on cue, and accept being
bathed. It is perfectly OK to take longer than normal if you want to
experiment. Many of you will have already taught this, but for those
who have not here are the instruction

Predict how long it will take you to get to stage one. Stage one is
jumping into an empty bathtub. That stage is part of the exercise and
can't be omitted.

Impossible. Our tub is old-fashioned and not only has very high sides but is
on legs. A golden would likely hurt himself trying to jump into it, because
it is slippery and narrow in addition. If this were a normal modern tub, it
might be possible.....but he really hates baths. He is a very obedient dog,
but will not respond to "come" if I'm in the bathroom. He rolls over on the
floor and puts his legs in the air instead (carefully covering his private
parts with his tail! G).This is the ONLY time he does this. He even comes
obediently when he knows I'm going to brush his teeth, which he strongly
dislikes also. I don't think he would ever consent to jump in. He gladly
jumps up on the picnic table to be groomed.

Predict how long it will take you to get to stage two. Stage two is
jumping into a bathtub with some water - at least enough to cover the
toes. That stage is part of the exercise and can't be omitted.

See above. If I could get him to jump into the tub, the water probably
wouldn't make much difference.

Predict how long it will take to get to the final stage - bathing
without physical restraint. Success is when you can get the dog into
the bath, shampoo from head to tail to toes, rinse, and do whatever
finishing touches with no reminders, or corrections. Extra credit if
the dog stays in the tub while you go fetch that towel you forgot.

That's easy. I can already bath him without physical restraint, and with no
corrections or reminders, either here or at the do-it-yourself dogwash. He
doesn't like it, but he behaves himself. He usually doesn't even try to
shake unless I tell him too. Poor guy, he really is such a good boy.

Old August 6th 05, 08:41 PM
Christy

wrote in message ...

Predict how long it will take you to get to stage one. Stage one is
jumping into an empty bathtub. That stage is part of the exercise and
can't be omitted.

I don't have a tub. I wash the shelties in the sink, and they can't jump up
there.

Predict how long it will take to get to the final stage - bathing without
physical restraint. Success is when you can get the dog into the bath,
shampoo from head to tail to toes, rinse, and do whatever finishing
touches with no reminders, or corrections. Extra credit if the dog stays
in the tub while you go fetch that towel you forgot.

I got to this part without one and two. What do I win??

Christy

Old August 7th 05, 05:40 AM

Snip crossposting

wrote:
HOWEDY diddler!

diddy wrote:
in thread :

whittled the following words:

SNIP IDIOCY

Predict how long it will take to get to the final stage - bathing
without physical restraint. Success is when you can get the dog into
the bath, shampoo from head to tail to toes, rinse, and do whatever
finishing touches with no reminders, or corrections. Extra credit if
the dog stays in the tub while you go fetch that towel you forgot.

I teach my dogs as puppies to eat in the bathtub.

BWEEEEEEEEEEAAHAHAHHAHAAA!!!

Yet another useful response from HoweTard...

Yeah, your pal Master Of Deception blankman
keeps her kat box in there on accHOWENT of
her own dogs WON'T GO IN THERE.

They get in the bathtub on command.

Yeah? OR YOU'LL HURT THEM someMOORE.

Well you say EVERYONE hurts their dogs, HoweTard. Except like Lucy who
licks your butt.

The rest is pretty simple.

That so?

And yes, they do this already..

Do tell?

Or stay in the tub while I go feed horses, bale
hay, or whenever i come back and remember that
i had told them to soak and stay in the bathtub,
and then release them

Do you use the same techniques you've used to
train your dogs not to ESCAPE your SHOCK FENCE,
diddler?:

Here we go again with the shock crap, HoweTard. ANYTHING that might
give a slight correction is awful. We got your your point a million
times now, so shut the **** up already.

And here we go with the posting of old messages...I'm deleting them...

HOWEDY diddler,

Old August 8th 05, 03:31 PM
Suja

Predict how long it will take you to get to stage one. Stage one is
jumping into an empty bathtub. That stage is part of the exercise and
can't be omitted.

I'm not sure IF either of my dogs are physically capable of this.
Between slick floor on the outside, slick floor inside the tub, the size
of the dogs, the height of the sides and gimpy hips on one of the dogs,
I don't think I'd try. However, if I put a ramp or step up (and down),
I'm fairly certain I'd be able to get them both in. This assums of
course that I can get Khan inside the bathroom. Between the slippery
floor and the fact that there is EEEVIL water lurking in there, he
generally does not come into the bathroom. When he does, he keeps his
back feet on the carpet in the bedroom, and does his best to get by with
just stretching.

Predict how long it will take you to get to stage two. Stage two is
jumping into a bathtub with some water - at least enough to cover the
toes. That stage is part of the exercise and can't be omitted.

I have no idea how Pan'd react to water in the tub. I'm guessing that
she'd be nonchalant, unless the water is pretty deep. I do know what
Khan'd do - jump straight out. He did that at the groomers the first
(and only) time he was left there. He jumped out a grooming tub, onto
the washer she had next to it. If it hadn't been there, he would've
hurt himself seriously.

Predict how long it will take to get to the final stage - bathing without
physical restraint. Success is when you can get the dog into the bath,
shampoo from head to tail to toes, rinse, and do whatever finishing
touches with no reminders, or corrections. Extra credit if the dog stays
in the tub while you go fetch that towel you forgot.

Pan does that. Except she gets in the shower, not in the tub. She
doesn't like it one bit, but enjoys the after shower zoomies that all
dogs (even Khan) seem to love. Khan is pathologically afraid of
faucets, hose, etc. and is only now learning to enjoy wading in rivers
and streams. With him, it would take a miracle - no amount of time will
be enough. After working on making him comfortable in the bathroom for
a couple of years, I've just given up on it.

Suja
Old August 11th 05, 06:07 AM
Mark Shaw

The behavior to be taught is simple and practical. The job is to teach
the dog to jump into a bathtub, on cue, and accept being bathed. It is
perfectly OK to take longer than normal if you want to experiment.

Maggie taught herself this, I guess.

The bathroom where we used to bathe her has two doors - one
leads into a vanity and then into a hallway, the other into
another vanity and then into the master bedroom. Sort of an
'L' configuration.

Sometimes when we brought her into the bathroom to be bathed,
we'd mistakenly leave the other door open - and of course she
would escape. When we didn't, she'd perform a quick 180 to
see if she could escape the other way. When she saw that she
could not, she'd let out an audible sigh and, after just a bit
of urging, hop into the tub and give us a look that said "fine,
let's just get this over with, okay?"

Damn, I miss her.

Predict how long it will take you to get to stage two. Stage two is
jumping into a bathtub with some water - at least enough to cover the
toes. That stage is part of the exercise and can't be omitted.

Well, we never did that. The routine - and of course dogs do
quite intensely value routine - was always to get her into a
dry tub, run some water to get to the correct temperature, and
finally to turn the shower head (on a hose - Shower Massage) on
and proceed.

Predict how long it will take to get to the final stage - bathing without
physical restraint. Success is when you can get the dog into the bath,
shampoo from head to tail to toes, rinse, and do whatever finishing
touches with no reminders, or corrections. Extra credit if the dog stays
in the tub while you go fetch that towel you forgot.

Never restrained her for bathing.

I did have a dog once that had to be tethered to the faucet.
He was a terrier mix, I think. Nine hundred pounds of long-
eared, short-haired iguana hound in a twenty-pound package.

--
Mark Shaw
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new