Calming a dog through redecorating

Old August 7th 05, 06:51 AM
flick

Default Calming a dog through redecorating

Several months ago, we got new floors - laminated flooring throughout. Love
the stuff. Dirt doesn't stick, very easy to clean. My "teflon floor," I
call it.

It's also had the rather nice effect of de-rowdying the younger dogs. Cuz
they can't go leaping and tearing around indoors on such slick floors.

So maybe that's another bit of advice that could be given to people who come
in here and say, "My dog is nuts in the house." We tell 'em to rip up the
rugs and replace the flooring, and their problem with be solved ;-).

flick 100785

Old August 7th 05, 01:39 PM
Robin Nuttall

flick wrote:

Several months ago, we got new floors - laminated flooring throughout. Love
the stuff. Dirt doesn't stick, very easy to clean. My "teflon floor," I
call it.

It's also had the rather nice effect of de-rowdying the younger dogs. Cuz
they can't go leaping and tearing around indoors on such slick floors.

Wouldn't mean a thing to my dogs, who like to SSLLIIIIIDDDDDE.

Old August 7th 05, 02:23 PM
FurPaw

flick wrote:
Several months ago, we got new floors - laminated flooring throughout. Love
the stuff. Dirt doesn't stick, very easy to clean. My "teflon floor," I
call it.

It's also had the rather nice effect of de-rowdying the younger dogs. Cuz
they can't go leaping and tearing around indoors on such slick floors.

So maybe that's another bit of advice that could be given to people who come
in here and say, "My dog is nuts in the house." We tell 'em to rip up the
rugs and replace the flooring, and their problem with be solved ;-).

But there is a downside if your dog is old - it plays hell on an
arthritic dog. We found that out when we ripped up some old carpet
in a bedroom and exposed hardwood floors. Walking on it was clearly
painful for her whenever she lost traction, so we had to put down
runners along her normal paths.

FurPaw

--
"Don't believe everything that you think."
- Seen on a bumper sticker

To reply, unleash the dog
Old August 7th 05, 05:03 PM
Perry Templeton

Well, I must have the best of both worlds. My floors are
acid/etched/stained concrete. Completely dog proof. (how can you mess up
concrete?) In the living room, I have a huge area rug. It is the place
where the two young ones play tug (traction), the older one likes to roll
there to scratch her back. And the Boston, who does something we call "frog
dog" goes to the rug to do that.
But when the young ones play chase, yes, there is much skidding out around
the kitchen island....loss of control and sometimes wrecks.
Perry

"FurPaw" wrote in message
flick wrote:
Several months ago, we got new floors - laminated flooring throughout.
Love the stuff. Dirt doesn't stick, very easy to clean. My "teflon
floor," I call it.

It's also had the rather nice effect of de-rowdying the younger dogs.
Cuz they can't go leaping and tearing around indoors on such slick
floors.

So maybe that's another bit of advice that could be given to people who
come in here and say, "My dog is nuts in the house." We tell 'em to rip
up the rugs and replace the flooring, and their problem with be solved
;-).

Old August 7th 05, 05:59 PM
Tee

"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message

Wouldn't mean a thing to my dogs, who like to SSLLIIIIIDDDDDE.

Mine continually attempt to slide and continually fail in the grace and form
departments. They begin to slide, their 4 feet do some kind of warp-speed
bicycling motion, said feet then flail out in all directions and 60+lbs of
dog goes thumping disgracefully to the floor, on their sides, and usually
with a notable head thwack.

It either isn't as bad as it looks/sounds or they're just stoopid (I
anonymously vote for the latter) because they keep going back for more.
Fancy, I believe, likes the very light click-click her nails make when she
walks on the floor. Joe Joe, I think, just braves the floor because A)
that's where Jinx the evil hampster lives and B) that's where children can
be found.

--
Tara

Old August 7th 05, 06:13 PM
Rocky

"flick" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

So maybe that's another bit of advice that could be given
to people who come in here and say, "My dog is nuts in the
house." We tell 'em to rip up the rugs and replace the
flooring, and their problem with be solved ;-).

The day/night care place at which I'm leaving Rocky while Friday
and I are out of town has a very slippery lobby floor. When the
daycare started up in this location, they considered replacing
the flooring, but quickly realised that the purchase it *didn't*
give excited dogs was a good thing.

Old August 7th 05, 06:19 PM
Rocky

FurPaw said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

But there is a downside if your dog is old - it plays hell
on an arthritic dog. We found that out when we ripped up
some old carpet in a bedroom and exposed hardwood floors.
Walking on it was clearly painful for her whenever she lost
traction, so we had to put down runners along her normal
paths.

Yup. While good ol' Murphy could negotiate the hardwood here
(it's somewhat worn and not the new permanently finished stuff),
it was a different story when Rocky and then-new dog Friday
accidentally hip-checked her while running around. Melanie sent
me two cans of paw wax (I've one can left for whoever wants it)
and that helped significantly.

Old August 7th 05, 06:39 PM
Robin Nuttall

Tee wrote:

"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message

Wouldn't mean a thing to my dogs, who like to SSLLIIIIIDDDDDE.

Mine continually attempt to slide and continually fail in the grace and form
departments. They begin to slide, their 4 feet do some kind of warp-speed
bicycling motion, said feet then flail out in all directions and 60+lbs of
dog goes thumping disgracefully to the floor, on their sides, and usually
with a notable head thwack.

I must admit that would scare the beejeezus out of me. Fortunately my
girls really don't do that much, though one of Cala's favorite things is
to slide into the wall sideways with a huge CLUNK on her way to get her
ball. But it does make her very agile on slick surfaces. She's a dog who
can run full speed on water glazed ice and take a corner effortlessly.
Amazing. Viva, no. She's more careful.

Old August 8th 05, 01:41 AM
Spot

I keep telling Mike I want rid of ALL the carpet in the house. Now if I
could convince him that this method would keep her from chewing the place up
I could maybe get him to go for it...........

Celeste

Old August 10th 05, 03:40 PM
flick

"Melanie L Chang" wrote in message
My new apartment has carpeting -- not my first choice, but it's brand new
carpeting and quite plush. The dogs LOVE it. They don't slide, and they
feel free to lie anywhere they want rather than sticking to area rugs.
Of course, the carpet is beige, so in addition to a new apartment, I also
have a new Bissell spot cleaner for the inevitable spots that will need
cleaning.

Beige carpet. Horrors.

I've often said that kids can do a lot more damage to a house than puppies.
We had some beige carpet when my kids were young.

Even with a steam cleaner, it quickly became a collage of stains from food
colorings in juice, etc.

flick 100785

Melanie Lee Chang | Form ever follows function.
Departments of Anthropology and Biology |
University of Pennsylvania | -- Louis Sullivan