Funny Vet Story

Old August 10th 05, 10:31 PM
bizby40

Default Funny Vet Story

So, there I am at the vet getting Lexi's second set of puppy shots. It's
his first time at the vet, and she's asking me questions.

She approves of the fact that I'm crating him at night.
She approves of the fact that I'm not hitting him, yelling at him, or
otherwise scaring him when he has an accident.
She approves of the fact that his tail isn't docked.
She approves of my method of teaching him not to bite or mouth by having a
soft toy available when we play that I can keep offering him instead of my
fingers.
She approved of the tethering, once she found out that it was to me, and not
say, to a tree outside.

She does *not* approve of the fact that I'm "getting information off of the
internet" (i.e. you guys).

LOL -- where does she think I'm getting all those ideas she approves of
from?

Bizby

Old August 10th 05, 10:37 PM
Janet B

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:31:06 -0400, "bizby40" ,
clicked their heels and said:

She does *not* approve of the fact that I'm "getting information off of the
internet" (i.e. you guys).

LOL -- where does she think I'm getting all those ideas she approves of
from?

LOL! books are better than screens you know! I think there are a
lot of vets who are afraid of bad medical advice on the 'net, so they
discount every piece of information. I can't figure out why - there's
a wealth of info avaiable and most people can tell the good from the
bad.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old August 10th 05, 10:54 PM

Janet B wrote:
LOL! books are better than screens you know! I think there are a
lot of vets who are afraid of bad medical advice on the 'net, so they
discount every piece of information. I can't figure out why - there's
a wealth of info avaiable and most people can tell the good from the
bad.

But the bad information tends to be *so* bad, and while I
agree that most people here are savvy enough to be able to
sort things through, it's also the case that there are still
people out there getting suckered by the Nigerian spam.

I don't tell my vet where my questions come from unless they
ask. I usually go with something along the lines of
"Somebody told me that yadda yadda yadda, what do you
think?" rather than "I read on the internet that ... " I
tried that latter once and I won't do it again.

BTW, I've consistently found that the most reliable source
of completely wacko information is the dog park.

An increase in government debt is the present value
of future tax increases.
Old August 11th 05, 12:39 AM
Rocky

"bizby40" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

She does *not* approve of the fact that I'm "getting
information off of the internet" (i.e. you guys).

When Rocky first exhibited epilepsy, I did a lot of research "on
the internet". I was up front with my vet, telling him that it
was but one source of many. It took him about a year before he
realised that filtering good from bad on the internet was much
like discriminating good from bad in real life.

Old August 11th 05, 02:37 AM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:37:27 -0400 Janet B whittled these words:

LOL! books are better than screens you know! I think there are a
lot of vets who are afraid of bad medical advice on the 'net, so they
discount every piece of information. I can't figure out why - there's
a wealth of info avaiable and most people can tell the good from the
bad.

They get the skewed statistics. The person who writes and gets told to
take the dog to the vet isn't very often going to say "Well I wasn't going
to come in but they said I should on the internet" But the person who
takes bad advice and ends up in an emergency sayd "Well on the internet it
said .... so I thought it was safe/would work..." So they don't hear of
the good results anywhere near as much as they experience the bad results.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old August 11th 05, 04:30 AM
bizby40

wrote in message ...
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:37:27 -0400 Janet B
whittled these words:

LOL! books are better than screens you know! I think there are a
lot of vets who are afraid of bad medical advice on the 'net, so they
discount every piece of information. I can't figure out why - there's
a wealth of info avaiable and most people can tell the good from the
bad.

They get the skewed statistics. The person who writes and gets told to
take the dog to the vet isn't very often going to say "Well I wasn't going
to come in but they said I should on the internet" But the person who
takes bad advice and ends up in an emergency sayd "Well on the internet it
said .... so I thought it was safe/would work..." So they don't hear of
the good results anywhere near as much as they experience the bad results.

Yeah, yeah. I just think it's sort of funny -- if I'd said, "a friend told
me..."
or "I read somewhere that..." they'd just take it at face value and answer
the question. But they hear the word "internet" and automatically assume
the worst.

Bizby

Old August 11th 05, 05:25 AM
White Monkey

[...]

My doctor has a fit if I get information "off the internet", even if I start
out with, "The Merck Manual says..." or "The listing for this one in the PDR
includes..." or "The Journal of Reproductive Medicine...". Some people just
can't handle it that some people can read selectively! Might as well
disapprove of getting information from books because the bad ones are in the
same stores and libraries as the good ones!
--Katrina

Old August 13th 05, 04:28 AM
Paula

wrote:

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:31:06 -0400, "bizby40" ,
clicked their heels and said:

She does *not* approve of the fact that I'm "getting information off of the
internet" (i.e. you guys).

LOL -- where does she think I'm getting all those ideas she approves of
from?

LOL! books are better than screens you know! I think there are a
lot of vets who are afraid of bad medical advice on the 'net, so they
discount every piece of information. I can't figure out why - there's
a wealth of info avaiable and most people can tell the good from the
bad.

I wonder if it is because they mostly hear from the ones who get bad
info and don't have the critical thinking skills to figure that out.
I mean, if the vet says A and the patient's owner has found that A is
reasonable by searching the internet, s/he probably just says "OK!"
and that's that. But if the patient's owner found B on the internet
and believes that, the vet will hear all about how B is the correct
treatment instead of A because of internet this and internet that. I
can imagine starting to really hate the internet if that's the picture
I got of it. I think of this because I have to constantly remind
myself that the view I get of schools is skewed from my view in the
counseling office. There is a whole section of the student body, the
majority even, that is doing just great even though 99% of my day is
spent with kids with lots of problems. When I start to feel compelled
to home school, I make myself go talk to teachers about what they see
in their classrooms which contain a more accurate cross-section of the
school community.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy, so it's best to try to get along with them." Joe Bay
Old August 13th 05, 05:57 AM
bizby40

"Paula" wrote in message
I got of it. I think of this because I have to constantly remind
myself that the view I get of schools is skewed from my view in the
counseling office. There is a whole section of the student body, the
majority even, that is doing just great even though 99% of my day is
spent with kids with lots of problems. When I start to feel compelled
to home school, I make myself go talk to teachers about what they see
in their classrooms which contain a more accurate cross-section of the
school community.

My sister is a psychiatric nurse who works with troubled teens.
This is an inpatient facility, so she gets the worst of the worst
-- drug addicts, attempted suicides, runaways, and so forth.
Seeing the worst of what could happen every day made her
pretty scared for her own kids. She said the one thing that
kept her perspective was that the baby-sitter down the street
was an honor roll public high school student with her head
screwed on straight.

Bizby