Bullmastiff allergy problems (not food or seasonal)?

Old August 12th 05, 05:18 AM
chrisc

Default Bullmastiff allergy problems (not food or seasonal)?

I have been taking him to the vet for over a year now. They keep putting him
on antibiotics . It's not his food cause we switched him from innova to
science diet to diamond premium edge lamb and rice (over time). It is not
seasonal cause its year round. The meds clear him up temporarily, but then
it comes back (itching, redness in the ears, raw skin near the crotch on the
inside of his legs from constant licking). They told me the next stpe would
be to try putting him on a special diet (fish or allergy type food). They
told me it could be the chicken meal in the foods. Also, I was referred to a
dermatologist . The thing is they want $5-600 to test him!!!!!! Any
suggestions? He is 2 years old. Thanks

Old August 12th 05, 07:31 AM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 04:18:35 GMT chrisc whittled these words:
I have been taking him to the vet for over a year now. They keep putting him
on antibiotics . It's not his food cause we switched him from innova to
science diet to diamond premium edge lamb and rice (over time). It is not
seasonal cause its year round. The meds clear him up temporarily, but then
it comes back (itching, redness in the ears, raw skin near the crotch on the
inside of his legs from constant licking). They told me the next stpe would
be to try putting him on a special diet (fish or allergy type food). They
told me it could be the chicken meal in the foods. Also, I was referred to a
dermatologist . The thing is they want $5-600 to test him!!!!!! Any
suggestions? He is 2 years old. Thanks

Switching from one multi-ingredient food to a different multi-ingredient
food isn't very useful in identifying food allergies, which are very
common in dogs. A very important step in identifying food allergies is to
reduce the number of ingredients to absolute minimum then once the
condition is stable slowly re-introduce new ingredients. The food
switching process you have already tried was a reasonable first step, but
not enough to conclude it is "not his food."

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old August 12th 05, 11:00 PM
Michelle K

"chrisc" wrote in message
I have been taking him to the vet for over a year now. They keep putting
him
on antibiotics . It's not his food cause we switched him from innova to
science diet to diamond premium edge lamb and rice (over time). It is not
seasonal cause its year round. The meds clear him up temporarily, but then
it comes back (itching, redness in the ears, raw skin near the crotch on
the
inside of his legs from constant licking). They told me the next stpe
would
be to try putting him on a special diet (fish or allergy type food). They
told me it could be the chicken meal in the foods. Also, I was referred to
dermatologist . The thing is they want $5-600 to test him!!!!!! Any
suggestions? He is 2 years old. Thanks

Hi, I have posted similar things about my bullmastiff in rpdh. She would go
on cephalaxin for between 3 and 6 weeks and then within a week be back in
full allergy attack.

On the 5th of Aug, we went to a dermatologist. He reviewed her history (she
is 2.5 by the way), and looked at her skin carefully. We talked for about
an hour about allergies and dogs, and Milly's allergies in particular. I
felt it was worth the hundred or so dollars for the consultation. He felt
(and I agree based on my observations) that her allergies are probably
mostly environmental (as opposed to food). We are going to go ahead with
allergy testing, and she has an appointment on the 12th of Sept for that.
If she has strong positive reactions, we can then start her on allergy shots
which might or might not have the desired effect. (there's a 25% chance that
she will not be helped at all by the shots).

He mentioned that it is possible that she has a mild food based allergy that
is making her environmental allergies worse, but we'd see how she is doing
in Feb after allergy shots should be working well to see if she is having
any reactions.

One thing that he also mentioned is that often dogs will outgrow their
allergies by the age of three. Just something to consider.

Best of luck!

Michelle (Milly's mom)

Old August 13th 05, 12:55 AM
Michelle K

No problem. Something else you might consider is ear mites or flea
reactions?

Hope you get to the bottom of things!

"chrisc" wrote in message
Thanks a lot.