Potty Training the Already Potty Trained

Old August 13th 05, 11:52 PM
Eternity

Default Potty Training the Already Potty Trained

I've just introduced a new familiy member, a Long haired Doxie by the name
of Jake. In all honesty, hes one of the most amazing, lovable dogs I have
ever come across, his rare colouring and blue eye just happens to be a
bonus to his wonderfull personality. Although, there are just a few
nitches in his habits.

When we got Jake, he seemed utterly perfect for such a young dog.He doesnt
bark, loves other dogs, people, and even cats. What surprised me most is
when he needs to go, he'll go to the door and wait until he's let out. At
night, he'll sleep with me at the foot of my bed until morning where he
lets himself out without waking anyone up (dads usually up early anyways,
so he lets him out), then come back to bed 'till breakfast.

Lately Jake has stopped going to the door. We'll take him outside anyway,
and he'll have no interest in going to the bathroom-until he gets inside.
I dont understand why his habits have changed so suddenly, and hes done it
alot in the past couple days. He's an unnutered male, and I refuse to get
him neutered until his breeding days are over, as he'll adventually be
used as a Stud. Perhaps this behavior is out of spite? He's extremely
attached to me and Ive been leaving him at home for a few hours with the
rest of the family to get him used to me not always being there. He cowars
and looks guilty when we find his messes. Anyone know why he would be
acting this way so suddenly?

-Paige

Old August 14th 05, 02:13 AM
Rocky

"Eternity" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Lately Jake has stopped going to the door.

Have Jake's vet check for a UTI or other physical problems.

Old August 14th 05, 04:33 PM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 18:52:11 -0400, "Eternity"
wrote:

Lately Jake has stopped going to the door. We'll take him outside anyway,
and he'll have no interest in going to the bathroom-until he gets inside.
I dont understand why his habits have changed so suddenly, and hes done it
alot in the past couple days.

like Matt said, take him to the vet ASAP to be checked for a UTI or
other physical problem. that's always the first thing to rule out
whenever there's a sudden change in behavior. if he does have a UTI, he
truly cannot help having accidents. UTIs are excruciatingly painful.

He's an unnutered male, and I refuse to get
him neutered until his breeding days are over, as he'll adventually be
used as a Stud.

since you brought it up, and since you posted to *breeds about studding
him out, why? what makes you think that breeding him is a good idea?

Perhaps this behavior is out of spite?

no.

He's extremely
attached to me and Ive been leaving him at home for a few hours with the
rest of the family to get him used to me not always being there. He cowars
and looks guilty when we find his messes. Anyone know why he would be
acting this way so suddenly?

what do you do when he has an accident indoors? if you reprimand him
for it, then it's no wonder he acts afraid whenever you find a mess. i
think it's always a bad idea to punish a dog for accidents. dogs aren't
very good abstract thinkers. when you punish a dog for having an
accident--whether you catch him in the act or do it hours after the
accident--the dog does not associate the punishment with the act of
going indoors. punishing him will only teach him that pottying in front
of you is a bad thing. it will *NOT* teach him that pottying indoors is
the problem. what that means is that he'll learn to hide from you when
he has to go.

so, if you rule out a medical problem and find that it is, indeed, a
housebreaking problem, i recommend returning to the basics. pretend
he's a puppy that has had no house training.

if you catch him in the act, interrupt him without making a huge deal
out of it. just pick him up, take him outdoors, and praise him for
finishing outside. then, quietly clean up the mess. i do the clean-up
with the dog in another room, so that s/he cannot watch. i also use an
enzymatic cleaner to remove any odor, so the dog is not drawn to potty
in that spot again.

the other important thing to do is supervise him so that he never has
the opportunity to have indoor accidents. tether him to you or crate
him when you can't watch him. every accident he has will undermine the
successes, so you're doing him a disservice by letting him have
accidents. i can't stress this enough.

so, supervise him when he's indoors or crate him when you can't. that
way he won't have an opportunity to have accidents. if he *does* have
an accident, clean it up without punishing him. praise him like crazy
when he potties outside. easy peasy, right? if you do that, it won't
take long for him to become trustworthy in the house again.

http://www.cat-sidh.net || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

We think nothing of our ability to tell prophecy through the reading of
mashed potatoes. A monkey could do it, and the future is usually pretty
bleak anyway.
-- Melora (Rasputina)

Old August 14th 05, 10:46 PM
Unsurreality

HOWEDY shelly you pathetic mental case,

wrote:

Lately Jake has stopped going to the door. We'll take him outside anyway,
and he'll have no interest in going to the bathroom-until he gets inside.
I dont understand why his habits have changed so suddenly, and hes done it
alot in the past couple days.

like Matt said,

matty is a liar and dog abuser, like yourself, shelly.

take him to the vet ASAP to be checked for a UTI or
other physical problem. that's always the first thing
to rule out whenever there's a sudden change in behavior.

You mean, UNLESS he can CURE IT NEARLY INSTANTLY, shelly.

if he does have a UTI, he truly cannot help having accidents.

RIGHT. That's HOWE COME the TRAINING won't work NEARLY
INSTANTLY and you'll KNOW the dog needs to go to the vet.

UTIs are excruciatingly painful.

RIGHT. Fortunatly we'll KNOW if he's SICK in WON DAY, shelly.

He's an unnutered male, and I refuse to get
him neutered until his breeding days are over,
as he'll adventually be used as a Stud.

since you brought it up, and since you posted to *breeds
about studding him out, why? what makes you think that
breeding him is a good idea?

Perhaps this behavior is out of spite?

INDEEDY.

no.

Well yes it IS, shelly. The poster has been DOIN TRAINING.

He's extremely attached to me and Ive been leaving him
at home for a few hours with the rest of the family to
get him used to me not always being there. He cowars
and looks guilty when we find his messes. Anyone know why
he would be acting this way so suddenly?

what do you do when he has an accident indoors?

The dog is shittin the HOWES on accHOWENT of he's UNHAPPY
with his SEPARATION ANXXXIHOWESNESS DESENSISTIZATION TRAININ,
shelly.

if you reprimand him for it, then it's no wonder he acts
afraid whenever you find a mess. i think it's always a bad
idea to punish a dog for accidents.

Right. You wouldn't wanna be CRUEL.

dogs aren't very good abstract thinkers.

Acutally, THEY ARE VERY GOOD ABSTRACT THINKERS, when
they're allHOWED to THINK RATIONALIZE and SOLVE PROBLEMS.
But they CAN'T if you punish and choke and bribe and
lock them in boxes, shelly.

It's you who ain't VERY GOOD at THINKIN.

Oh really? Here's YOU that can't figure out simple brain teasers -
which pretty much proves that you are a HoweTard. Here's YOU that
can't explain why my dog behaves perfectly WITHOUT your crappy manual,
HoweTard. Here's YOU that calls me a dog abuser and mental case when
you have provided ZERO proof of either, HoweTard.

Go ahead. Explain away. It's incredibly clear that YOU ain't VERY
GOOD at thinkin', HoweTard.

when you punish a dog for having an accident--whether
you catch him in the act or do it hours after the accident-
-the dog does not associate the punishment with the act of
going indoors.

Are you sayin the dog CAN'T IDENTIFY HIS OWN ****
from earlier that day when he got SCARED and crapped
on your floor and then ate your garbage bin and
destroyed your bedroom?

punishing him will only teach him that pottying in front
of you is a bad thing. it will *NOT* teach him that pottying
indoors is the problem. what that means is that he'll learn
to hide from you when he has to go.

IDNEED?

so, if you rule out a medical problem

You mean take the dog to the vet despite
that it'll take WON DAY to MAKE IT HAPPY
and EXXXTINGUISH THE PROBLEM, shelly?

and find that it is, indeed, a housebreaking problem,

Dogs DO NOT HAVE HOWEsbreakin problems, shelly.

i recommend returning to the basics. pretend he's a puppy

Puppys HOWEsbreak INSTINCTIVELY at four weeks of age, shelly.

that has had no house training.

You mean lock IT in a box, shelly. That'll make
the dog VERY UNHAPPY, shelly.

if you catch him in the act, interrupt him without
making a huge deal out of it. just pick him up,

That'll SCARE the dog or TEACH IT to DO THAT behavior
to get 100% of your unidivided negative attention.

take him outdoors, and praise him for finishing outside.

He'll FORGET he needed to relieve hisself and will
wait till IT returns to that spot he started to use.

then, quietly clean up the mess. i do the clean-up
with the dog in another room, so that s/he cannot watch.

INDEED? You mean like HOWE it SEZ in your FREE COPY
of The Amazing Puppy Wizard's 100% CONSISTENTLY NEARLY
INSTANTLY SUCCESSFUL FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training
Method Manual, shelly?

Thought your dogs was HOWEsbroken.

i also use an enzymatic cleaner to remove any odor,
so the dog is not drawn to potty in that spot again.

That's ABSURD. Dogs DO NOT MARK OVER their own spots.

They MESS in your HOWESES on accHOWENT of THEY AIN'T HAPPY.

the other important thing to do is supervise him so that
he never has the opportunity to have indoor accidents.

That'll teach the dog to DO BAD BEHAVIORS to GET YOU
to INTERRUPT them and GIVE THEM SOME ATTENTION.

tether him to you or crate him when you can't watch him.

THAT'LL increase anXXXIHOWESNESS.

every accident he has will undermine the successes,

THAT'S ABSURD. That's CONtraWIZE to the dog's NATURE, shelly.

so you're doing him a disservice by letting him have accidents.

That's INSANE.

i can't stress this enough.

LikeWIZE. You're INSANE.

And you're a liar and dog abusing coward.

so, supervise him when he's indoors or crate him when you can't.

That'll make the dog VERY UNHAPPY.

that way he won't have an opportunity to have accidents.

You mean you'll disavail him of TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES.

if he *does* have an accident, clean it up without punishing him.

BWEEEAAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

praise him like crazy when he potties outside.

That AIN'T GONNA MATTER.

easy peasy, right? if you do that, it won't
take long for him to become trustworthy in the
house again.

CITES PLEASE? Have you EVER SEEN THAT WORK?

http://www.cat-sidh.net || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

We think nothing of our ability to tell prophecy through the reading of
mashed potatoes. A monkey could do it, and the future is usually pretty
bleak anyway.
-- Melora (Rasputina)

HOWEDY HerbisNonVerbis,

HerbisNonVerbis wrote:
"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...
wrote:

with any change in behavior, the first thing
to do is to rule out a medical cause.

Like MunchHOWESEN SYNDROME By Proxy... FOR EXXXAMPLE.

if you haven't already, take her to the vet.

The vet CAN'T CURE the dog if IT AIN'T SICK.

she may have a urinary tract infection

Her primary problem was DEFECATION.

or some other problem that needs to be treated.

Like stupidity, ignorance, fear, malice, and
pathological lying to defend your alleged RIGHT
to hurt intimdiate and murder innocent dumb critters.

Dear Shelly, thank you for your point above,

shelly is a lying dog abusing mental case.

being new to dogs

Well then, you're in EXXXCELLENT company!

I'd have never thought the above

For a few EXXXCELLENT reasons: It'd be HUGELY UNLIKELY
the dog is SICK, and it'd be EVEN MOORE HUGELY UNLIKELY
that you can't CURE this ANXXXIHOWESNESS BEHAVIOR NEARLY
INSTANTLY using EFFECTIVE NON PHYSICAL CONDITIONING techniques
and it'd be HUGELY IMPOSSIBLE for your vet to CURE an
anXXXIHOWESNESS behavior using the IDIOCY they was taught
in veterinary school...

but after reading in I put 2and2 together and indeed
she often spends time licking on her bottom parts,

You mean she's demonstrating self absorbed
anXXXIHOWESNESS behaviors.

being used to cats (my oldest cat is 13 yo) I had
assumed was a routine cleaning check, but indeed
it must be something else,

It's PROBABLY an anXXXIHOWESNESS relief mechanism.

will see a vet. tomorrow.

Would you SEE A VET tomorrow if you could CURE
the behavior problem TODAY, NEARLY INSTANTLY,
and FOR FREE, to boot? Your vet would LOVE to
run several hundred dollars worth of TESTS to
tell you there's NUTHIN WRONG and maybe you
should do EXXXPLORATORY surgery?

you can't housebreak an outdoor dog.

THAT'S ABSURD. shelly can't even train her own
opposite sex HOWEsdogs not to ATTACK EACH OTHER.

what you'll have to do is bring her inside the house,
where you can supervise her, in order to housebreak her.
there is a metric ton of info on housebreaking dogs
available on the web.

HOWEsbreaking is INSTINCTIVE at four weeks of age.

Will google it immediatly

BWEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAHAHAHHAHAAA!!!

Only a PROFESSINAL DOG TRAINER, ETHICKAL BREEDER,
or UNIVERSITY TRAINED BEHAVIORIST could CONfHOWEND
Mother Nature's PERFECT HOWEsbreaking Program.

basically, you'll need to go outside with her
at frequent, regular intervals.

No, that'll CONDITION the dog to NEED to relieve
hisself at FREQUENT, REGULAR INTERVALS...

praise her when she potties appropriately outside.

shelly means AFTER the fact... which means you'll be
prasing her NEXT THOUGHT, as dogs DO NOT REFLECT on
their "WORKS" like an artist, dog lovers...

keep her tethered to you or crated

THAT'LL make the dog NEUROTIC and AFRAID.

when you cannot directly supervise her indoors.

And THAT'S HOWE COME you're takin IT to the vet tomorrow...

that way she will not have a chance to have an accident.

Then you'd NEVER HAVE A CHANCE of HOWEsbreakin IT.

I do that already, thanks.

INDEED? BWEEEEEEEEEEAAHAHAHAHHAHAAA!!!

if she *does* have one, don't punish her for it.
if you catch her in the act, interrupt her,

That'll SCARE her and teach IT that ANY TIME IT WANTS
100% of your undivided attention, all IT got to do is
MESS in your HOWES or chew sumpthin or whatever you've
TRAINED her to realize STOPS YOU IN YOUR TRACKS to address
her BAD BEHAVIORS.

take her outdoors, and praise her for finishing outside.

IT'D be HUGELY UNUSUAL for the dog to RESUME her MISTAKE
when you take IT HOWET after INTERRUPTING her inside.

quietly clean up the mess, without
making a big deal of it,

Better get used to that...

using an enzymatic cleaner.

That's ABSURD. Dogs DO NOT mark over their own spots.

Ops, will do so in future.

BWEEEEEEEEEEEAAAHAHAHHHAAA!!!

it shouldn't take too long for her to get the
idea that she needs to go outdoors, not indoors.

Should take WON DAY to HOWEsbreak a dog.

my Boxer bitch came to me at 7 months old, unhousebroken.
she had, i think, maybe one or two accidents and was 100%
reliable indoors within a few weeks.

BWEEEEEEEEEEAAHAHAHHAHAAA!!! She LIVES IN A BOX.

She's not a problem when we're together IN the house,
its when she's on her own on the terrace that she has
some "accident"

You mean when you BANISH her HOWEtside on accHOWENT of
you don't know HOWE to TRAIN your dog not to destroy
your HOWES if you ain't got IT tied to a leash on your
belt or lock IT up someplace.

the hardest and most important part of the whole
process is being patient and hyper-vigilant,

No, THAT'S HOWE COME shelly cannot train her dogs.

so that the dog does not *ever* have an opportunity
to have an accident indoors.

By DISAVAILING IT of LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES.

every accident she has will undermine the
successful, appropriate, outdoor eliminations.

THAT'S INSANE. Dogs HOWEsbreak INSTINCTIVELY at four weeks.

noted

BWEEEEEEEEEEEAAHAHAHHAHAA!!!

good luck!

Dog trainin AIN'T LUCK, dog abusers.

THANK YOU

"LUCK IS FOR SUCKERS," The Puppy Wizard's DADDY {); ~ )

Here's your FREE copy of The Amazing Puppy
Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training
Method Manual:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G34D2527A

Just ASK The Amazing Puppy Wizard if you
need any additional FREE heelp. There's NO
arbritrary INFORMATION in your FREE copy
of The Amazing Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW
Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual so
study it well and do and follow ALL the
EXXXERCISES AS INSTRUCTED... it's a
PRECISE SCIENCE or it COULDN'T GET 100%
CONSISTENT NEARLY INSTANT SUCCESS for all
handlers and all dogs in all fields or
utilities and behaviors all over the Whole
Wild World {) ; ~ )

ALL Critters Only Respond In
PREDICTABLE INNATE NORMAL NATURAL
INSTINCTIVE REFLEXIVE Ways;
To Situations And Circumstances Of Their Environment
Which We Create For Them.

You GET The Critter You TRAINED

A DOG Is A Dog;
As A KAT Is A KAT;
As A BIRDY Is A BIRDY;
As A CHILD IS A CHILD;
As A SP-HOWES Is a SP-HOWES.

In The Problem Animal Behavior BUSINESS
FAILURE MEANS DEATH.
SAME SAME SAME SAME,
For The Problem Child Behavior BUSINESS.

Damn The Descartean War of "Nature Vs Nurture."
We Teach By HOWER Words And Actions
And GET BACK What We TAUGHT.

ALL Behavior Problems Are CAUSED BY MISHANDLING

Jer 21 And unto this people thou shalt say,
Thus saith the LORD; Behold, I set before
you The Way Of Life, And The Way Of Death.

2Ki 19:6 And Isaiah said unto them, Thus
shall ye say to your master, Thus saith
the LORD, Be not afraid of the words which
thou hast heard, with which the servants of
the king of Assyria have blasphemed me.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth:
I came not so send peace, but a sword.
"For I am come to set a man at variance against his
father, and the daughter against her mother, and the
daughter in law against her mother in law.

"And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
- Matthew 10:34-36.

The Puppy Prophet {); ~ )